Don't trust Independent Motorsports

bandit

I deserve an ass-whipping for not doing enough investigating into my recent purchase from this place, but I wish I had taken a picture of the air filter I took out of my VFR. I planned on replacing it with a K&N right away anyway, but it was so loaded with crap that they couldn't possibly have even looked at it. What else did they ignore? A common problem with 6th gen VFRs involves a high idle due to thermostat and/or faulty wax unit. So, I get to tear into that next. Thanks a lot Independent, you deserve some bad press right now. HERE IT IS! :nono::nono::nono:

you bought a bike with a dirty air filter and a high idle and you feel the need to trash the shop? i dont think this thread is going to go how you expect......yea, they should have noticed those things, but its not like a major engine or transmission problem etc....i have a hard time believing they refused to give you a clean air filter and a new thermostat when you called them back....you did call them back right?

they are nice guys out there from what i saw. i stopped in last season to check it out and mentioned that i heard about them on here. once the salesguy heard that he gave me the tour and everything.

ive never spent money with them but from my experience they are nice guys

There's nothing in the rules against bashing a sponsor. However, it is wise to be 100% factual. Libel is a serious offense. I'm not saying you're lying or anything, just putting that out there.

Independent Motorsports has always been good to folks on here. Have you called them about it?

Do you check the air filter on every thing you have sold? I dont. When I buy used I expect to do certain things, one being change the air filter. I also expect to change oil. I am willing to bet you did not call them and discuss this with them before this post.

If you guys think it's worth calling them I'll try. I do remember the words in very large print that said "AS IS, NO WARRANTY." I just figured there wasn't a point in asking. Like I said, I feel like I didn't do my part as a buyer since I didn't go beyond face value with the bike before buying it. I surely deserve some blame here too.

no warranty doesnt mean they wont do something small like that to make a customer happy. Those clauses are for morons that blow a motor and try to bring it back and blame the dealer

If you guys think it's worth calling them I'll try. I do remember the words in very large print that said "AS IS, NO WARRANTY." I just figured there wasn't a point in asking. Like I said, I feel like I didn't do my part as a buyer since I didn't go beyond face value with the bike before buying it. I surely deserve some blame here too.

That what i thought on my truck when the engine let go at first. I called the owner or the dealer and was civil with him and it saved me almost $3000 in repairs.

well if you didn't ask them about the air filter that's your fault. and I'm sure if you did they'd say they didn't know or are not willing to take it apart so you can see it. or you never know they might have. but would it have really mattered? they probably wouldn't lower the price at all anyway. it's an air filter. like brake pads it's a normal wear item. you have to expect to have to replace it. same thing with a thermostat. now if they're cool and it's overheating or something, they'd at least repair it since you just bought it.

at least the guy I worked for would. even though everything he sold is "as is".

As I said before, I was PLANNING to replace the filter, as well as change the oil. The point I was trying to get across is that had I seen the condition of the filter, I would have walked away from the deal and the dealer. I don't claim to even be interested in running a bike shop but I couldn't allow a single bike to be sold without having ALL of the bike in very good working order. I am capable of fixing the bike myself but not everyone is. I just don't want anyone else to go through the same thing, which is why I named this thread what i named it. You may have a great experience but I haven't yet...

All I said was don't trust, not don't buy. I guess this goes for anything a person buys used. It's been a very long time since I bought a used bike; most of my previous bikes were bought new. I accepted blame from the very first sentence I typed, I am just disappointed is all. I still think a dealership owes it to the customer to go over anything they sell, I will only sell something with full disclosure. Honesty is my only policy because the truth never changes.

I bought a truck from Glenway Chevrolet and they handed me the 100 something point check they supposedly do to them. called the GM certified check. the rear brakes was checked off. but when I pulled the drum off 2 weeks after I bought it the spring hardware was rusted in half and the pads were basically scraping the drum. there's no way in hell those were checked.

I never went back for it because the parts cost me a whopping $30. but still, certified checked eh... that's alright because I made them put a new thermostat in it and give me a new key with a new keyfob.

You should call them. I know the owner on a first name basis and he's a good guy, along with Casey in the service department. It's a used bike, you don't know the circumstances. It could have just came in.

- Josh Clark

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I'll call and tell them that I vented here before asking for their help and apologize for that, then tell them what I found. I know they had the bike over the winter, there was a tag on it that said it was winterized in early January. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens since I apparently pulled a bitch move by posting first.

:eek:

I hate threads like this. I sure hope you at least gave them the chance to explain themselves' date=' or to make this right... if your side of the story is accurate. (which, no offense, is still up for grabs)[/quote']

This