New Michelin Power Cup Race Tires

Dubguy85

Just wanted to throw up a short review while it was fresh in my mind. When I started riding the track 2 years ago I started on the Michelin Power Race tires and loved them. Last year I bought a bike that was set up for Dunlops so I ran the UK ntecs all last year. I ran Dunlop UK slicks at Jennings this year and decided I was going to switch from Dunlop to Michelin because of the great reviews and customer service that is offered.

I spent about an hour on the phone with David Grey from Sportbike Tire Service. Let me just start off by telling you how incredible his knowledge is of a motorcycle and motorcycle tire. We spent a bunch of time talking about my goals, my set up, what tracks I was doing, what I wanted out of my tires, etc etc. We decided on the power cup A rear, and the VA front. I used a 190 rear UK ntec and 195 UK rear ntec slick on my 09 zx6r. After much debate about the 180/190 we ended up with a 180 being the best tire for me and my bike.

First day was 41 degrees in the morning and I had brand new tires. The first few sessions I was just creeping around the track trying to scrub them in a bit. On a hot dry day I have no problem putting warmers on the tire and going into one at a nice fast pace, but not when its 41. The tires felt great, but the bike was a little off.

I crashed at Barber last September and when I put new clip ons on I changed a few things in the suspension such as spring rates, and so on.

The tire profile between the Dunlop 195 rear and Michelin 180 rear is pretty significant so changes to the geometry were necessary.

I went out a few laps to see how it felt, and it needed some set up changes. I came in and talked with David and we made changes to the geometry. HUGE difference! The bike is not still not 100% sorted out yet, but way closer and the tires were unreal when the motorcycle started to act how it should. I road 2 days on it.. I coached in Novice, road intermediate most sessions, and a few advanced, and did a mock race.. The front tire literally still looks new and the rear is wearing VERY nicely.. Its amazing how much better your tires wear when the bike is set up correctly. David went above and beyond to help me get this thing set up so a HUUUUUGE thanks to him and www.sportbiketireservice.com .. I would recommend them to anyone.. The Power Cups are the REAL DEAL.. The front tire is just rediculous on what it can handle.

I witnessed David Grey win the MCRA expert race beating the current 600 lap record holder ricky chimichunga on a 41 degree day with a cold and slick track because the Power Cups just flat out had more grip than he did... Awesome race!!!

Summary..

* www.sportbiketireservice.com is un real

* David Grey is the Man and will help anyone get the most out of their bike

* Michelin Power Cups are the next great thing

* The front tire wears like iron and has unreal grip

Edited by Dubguy85

I've heard good things as well.

Most notably: "First weekend on the new Michelin Power Cups and finished with two wins and seven 2nd place finishes. Can't wait to get the bike dialed in and setup properly!" - Brad Burns. WERA Ex. #1 (213)

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard good things as well.

Most notably: "First weekend on the new Michelin Power Cups and finished with two wins and seven 2nd place finishes. Can't wait to get the bike dialed in and setup properly!" - Brad Burns. WERA Ex. #1 (213)

Also for reference, David Gray beat Ricky Chimi at Putnam for the MCRA event Saturday on these, and took 3rd Sunday after maybe staying up a tad too late with us the night before.

Not to mention that's running pump gas to race fuel too. These things offer a ton of grip for sure!