Need a new Honda Key

OsuMj

I lost my key in December or January. I haven't ridden since, I'm going to go crazy soon.

I'm getting the run around when I call places to get a key made. Some places say I have to bring my ignition in (one place said its not possible to do it with the VIN on Hondas), one place (whose key making machine is broken right now) said they can do it with just my VIN. A key maker dude said it would take him 2 1/2 hours and he would have to charge $250. I'd rather not take the ignition off if I can get away with it... anyone know a place near columbus that can/will do it with just the VIN and not cost ridiculous amounts of money?

Not sure of places in C'bus but a coworker of mine here in Dayton bought a Shadow earlier this month and promptly lost the keys after a weekend trip. He got the same runaround.

Long experience short.... Find a generic place that will use the vin to make a key. A generic blank (versus one from the dealership) should work as long as the channels on the key match the lock, and any decent key shop should be able to use the VIN to do it. It ended up costing my coworker a few bucks for the generic blank and a few bucks for the keycutting service: total under $10 for two new keys. Also, avoid the stealership; they'll get it wrong.

Dumb question, but have you called a dealer?

I called Honda in Marysville (said they couldn't do it without the ignition or the bike there) and Honda in Heath (said they could do it, but the key machine is broke now).

Where are you located and if you can get the ignition out I can have a key made for you for cheap at a place in Dayton

Columbus. Dayton isn't too far though, I would probably be willing to go if I didn't have to take my ignition out.

Some Honda dealers can do it IF they have the machine. A Honda dealer would need the little plate that came with the keys when the bike was new, I believe. Most places will not do it with the VIN number because of the risk of cutting a key for someone other than the owner and then the bike gets stolen. They may do it if you provide proof of owning the bike. Carl Zipf on W 5th Ave down town Columbus is who we use, but the ignition needs to be out of the bike. A mobile locksmith is going to charge a lot to do it

I have my key and I am running into problems finding any place that can make motorcycle keys.

If you have the key, Carl Zipf is the way to go. They made my 87 Kawi key and it was pretty cheap.

I have my key and I am running into problems finding any place that can make motorcycle keys.

Any reputable key cutter/lock smith should be able to make you a key. Unless it has a theft deterrent built in, in which case you would need to take it to a dealer. The place I get mine done doesn't even ask what the key is for, they just match it to a blank on the wall and cut the key. Usually takes 30 seconds to make and cost $1.50.

As for using a VIN to cut a key, I don't think any place but an authorized dealer would use that for security reasons. There should have been however, a small metal tag with about 5 to 7(I don't remember off hand exactly) digits that came with your bike which is used for cutting keys and most lock smiths should be able to use that for a new key.

Edited by JStump

I have gone to three key cutting places already and they did not have the correct size blank to make the keys for my Yamaha or my Kawi. They all said that I need to take it somewhere that has specialty keys.

Any reputable key cutter/lock smith should be able to make you a key. Unless it has a theft deterrent built in, in which case you would need to take it to a dealer. The place I get mine done doesn't even ask what the key is for, they just match it to a blank on the wall and cut the key. Usually takes 30 seconds to make and cost $1.50.

As for using a VIN to cut a key, I don't think any place but an authorized dealer would use that for security reasons. There should have been however, a small metal tag with about 5 to 7(I don't remember off hand exactly) digits that came with your bike which is used for cutting keys and most lock smiths should be able to use that for a new key.

If they don't have the blank you can order one from an online website for like $1 or so. Just order one then take it to them. But those are very common keys so it is strange they don't have them unless you're going to walmart or something.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessories-/6028/i.html?_nkw=yamaha+key+blank

Edited by JStump

Roush Hardware in Westerville just made me a copy of my VFR key, but I'd bet they can't make one without one to copy from. You're probably looking at pulling the ignition and taking it to Zipf.... :(

Anyone else have any suggestions, I was looking at the steps for pulling the ignition and now I really don't want to. I just wanna ride!!!! :cry:

Call Ohio Motorcycle

3747 Park Mill Run Drive, Hilliard, OH(614) 334-3198 They have the plain metal keys and you can order the factory keys with the plastic.

I just went through the same thing that you are , no Dealer could do it from the Vin and it was to much of a pain in the ass to take the ignition off . I ended up calling Brian's Lock Service 614-861-4825 he came to my house and made me 2 keys for $150.00 .

MJ.. removing the ignition tumbler is not hard to do. Should be two screws under the mechanism.

I'm sure someone near you would be more than willing to lend you a hand.

really? I was reading the manual and it had me removing most of the front end. Maybe I'll just take a look at it tomorrow. :)

:facepalm:

So' date=' instead of having a new key cut for the cylinder she's pulling.. she should buy a whole new set and change everything?

..Barbie car for you.. :D[/quote']

If its cheaper, why not? Fine, i will get in my car & go......

barbie-car-ed1136.jpg

Just stay out of my way, i like to go fast :lol: