Arai Corsair V

BDBGoalie

DSCN1620.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1621.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1623.JPG?gl=US

$725

I got this to replace my RX-7 RR4 because it was getting old and had a few scratches on it.

A huge amount of R&D goes into these helmets and there is a reason a lot of racers choose them, some even when they are not being sponsored by Arai. They offer great features and excellent protection.

As always with Arai, it feels wonderful inside. Very soft and comfortable, and the material is quick drying and moisture wicking. The liner and cheek pads are removable and interchangeable with many different sizes to allow you to get a perfect fit.

When trying on an Arai, remove the cheek pads. They use lots of different shell sizes so there isn't just padding being added as the size changes. You want to match the top of your head to the helmet, and then adjust the cheek pads as needed. A lot of people will end up with loose helmets because the cheeks fit tight in these, which makes them bump up a size unnecessarily.

Arai also uses a side pod pressure fit system to retain their shields. They can be a bit of a pain to figure out initially how to change them, but once you get it the process is pretty easy. These side pod systems also REQUIRE maintenance, but it only takes like five minutes to clean and lube them. If you need help or are frustrated, just send me a PM.

Arai helmets are also very light weight, and a little shorter in where they come down on your chin. The overall design and shape distributes the little weight to a point where you really don't even know its there once it is fitted properly. The aerodynamics are excellent as well.

The airflow these helmets have is wonderful, but they are loud. I ride with earplugs so it is not an issue for me. I've always thought that the more air moving with just mean more noise.

The noticeable changes in the Corsair V over the RR4 are different, but not huge.

• The visor is 5mm wider or each side. You can notice a little bit more peripheral vision, but not much. You do have to buy new shields.

• The cheek pads now have a EMS quick release pull tab. A nice feature as long as they know to look for it. The RR4 cheek pads will still fit if you had different sizes in your old helmet. That will eliminate the quick release tab however.

• The airflow is better than the RR4.

• They added an adjustable spoiler in the rear. I haven't really messed with it much yet.

My helmet came with a weak retention pin on the center vent. The company I ordered from shipped me a replacement at no charge so the issue was resolved quickly and easily. I have encountered no other downsides with this helmet.

I love Arais. I made the choice a few years to spend the extra money and its worth it. The comfort of the helmet will make you wear it every time you ride. It flows great airflow, offers wonderful vision, and weighs nothing. Not to mention when it comes down to it, you're protecting one of the most important places on you.

Edited by BDBGoalie
Updated pictures

Comfortable, but absolutely the loudest helmet I've ever worn. You need earplugs with this, or the ears will ring for a good while after taking the helmet off...:(

Comfortable, but absolutely the loudest helmet I've ever worn. You need earplugs with this, or the ears will ring for a good while after taking the helmet off...:(

Yea, that is one thing I forgot to mention. I ride with earplugs. But I also sort of take that as the more air that goes in the louder it will be. My .02c

I'll add that in though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...