back to the basics

Exarch

I got some seat time in today and practiced some of the info given here(b4 I could only think about it and not.actually practice it, but now.that I have practiced some of the tips given im starting to understand them more) it went pretty well, except for counter steering. Im not sure if im doing.it wrong or that I still dont get how it works :shrug:

I Pushed left(foward, away from.me )on my right bar with my right hand and my bike went left(not right) as I figured it would cuz the wheel.was pointing left. Im not trying to BS around with the counter steering as im TRYING to understand it. Was this done correctly or not? If it wasnt done correct(dont think it was) then im back to square 1 on counter steering :(

My last try.... By push left, it means push on the LEFT BAR, (which is like steering right) and the bike then leans ad turns right ....

-VanDy

My last try.... By push left, it means push on the LEFT BAR, (which is like steering right) and the bike then leans ad turns right ....

-VanDy

:confused:

Don't you mean the bike goes left? If you point the front wheel right the bike goes the opposite direction, hence the counter in counter steer. The easiest way to experience and grasp the idea is to be in an open area where you can get a little speed. Get up to a decent speed only hold the left handle bar (so you don't manipulate the throttle by accident). Only holding one bar let's your brain register what's happening. Gently and evenly apply a forward slight pressure to the bar you notice the bike starts to lean and go slight left. The more you push the farther / harder it will go left. It doesn't take much. Then straighten up and pull the left bar towards you in the same gentle manner. You'll notice the bike goes right.

:confused:

Don't you mean the bike goes left? If you point the front wheel right the bike goes the opposite direction, hence the counter in counter steer. The easiest way to experience and grasp the idea is to be in an open area where you can get a little speed. Get up to a decent speed only hold the left handle bar (so you don't manipulate the throttle by accident). Only holding one bar let's your brain register what's happening. Gently and evenly apply a forward slight pressure to the bar you notice the bike starts to lean and go slight left. The more you push the farther / harder it will go left. It doesn't take much. Then straighten up and pull the left bar towards you in the same gentle manner. You'll notice the bike goes right.

Sounds convoluted. Don't forget to hold the clutch in or pop the bike in neutral when you try this.

-VanDy

If u push on the left bar that means your pushing to the right I thought, thus making your wheel go right.and your bike go left :dunno:

This contradicts everything else.that has been said :confused:

If u push on the left bar that means your pushing to the right I thought, thus making your wheel go right.and your bike go left :dunno:

This contradicts everything else.that has been said :confused:

His statement is wrong. Read mine.

His statement is wrong. Read mine.

I did, and ima mess around with it next week since I didnt get a chance to ride today cuz of the rain. The vid oldschool posted made.everything pretty clear, although from what i.have read a few people giving advice arent understanding countersteering either(you were NOT one that gave false info) :dunno: im sure they meant no harm, but incorrect none the less.

Try this work with 1 person in a lot. Don't get confused by what you are reading, hands on is the best when in a controlled environment with 1 or 2 instructors.

Yup, gunna get out next week with another.guy or.by myself if the rain holds off.

some people can get their.facts mixed up, especially since most the time countersteering is barley noticeable and some of the people giving advice do.it more than they realize or dont realize their is more to it than a simple bump. Altough its kind of ironic that some of the people calling me a tard were the ones not fully understanding it themselves :dunno:

Not here, my shit was right. I mainly sit back and laugh until I can't take the ignorance anymore then I post. I put my offer out, but too late now. I don't care anymore. Darwinism is a motherfucker, keep trying.

I didnt mention names, it wasnt everyone, but if you want to look through the thread you can clearly see some wrong info from some people. a CLEAR example though...

-VanDy

There were others aswell, but this was just the most.recent wrong info...

• Upvote 1

omfg, you gheys are going to get this kid killed :nono:

It's like watching a sitcom on TV where a room full of politicians try to explain democracy. :lol: They all have been doing it but really have no clue how they managed to accomplish it. :rolleyes:

Egg-xaaaaaactly. That post drove me crazy. :nono:

I had a pms moment. If u ever want local help just pm me.

Back to jim beam now.

Sorry for.that, i.wasnt trying to.call anyone out(but.that was so obvious even I noticed it :lol: ) I wasnt trying to bash anyone for giving me what they thought was correct(works for them obviously :) ) but it was nothing major, just a few things, but enough to confuse me till I could confirm which answers were correct beyond a shadow of a doubt :)

Now.that im 100% sure I have the right concept I can apply it in person without having to worry about doing it the wrong way(and lead to a potential spill) I know I can countersteer, but ive never tried to think about it b4, although when I was riding with accord I now understand how he was able to make rapid changes in lane positions, where as when I changed lane positions I was sluggish. Someone early on in this thread was saying it was only for cornering(which I now know isnt true)

Someone early on in this thread was saying it was only for cornering(which I now know isnt true)

Look, it is for cornering. The problem with you is that you are jumbling everything that is being said into a big ol' pot and stirring it.

Counter steering can be contradicted when moving slow. You are in your driveway at 5 mph and turn the bars to turn the front wheel to the right, the bike will go right. Counter steering is for cornering. It helps assist the bike to turn also, but overall, for cornering. It is used to initiate a turn of the bike. Turns, corners, apex, etc are all the same idea.

This is why you really need to get on a bike like an MX bike and practice. If on an MX bike, you can fall over and not be really in any bad shape. Play bikes work best, but the idea is that you are completely targeted on counter steering. I TOLD YOU THAT YOU SHOULDN'T BE OUT THINKING ABOUT IT.

You have done it for years if you have ridden a bicycle. Just understand the principle. Understand means to just grasp the concept. The biggest thing you need to do is practice what is in the MSF course. Watch YouTube, see what they are doing and set that same scenario in an open parking lot and practice.

If you target on certain aspects, all you will do is make things worse because you have at about ground zero in terms of experience. It's like talking about trail braking. If you go and focus your attention on trail braking, it is too advanced for what you are capable of. Thus, some of this talk of Twist of the Wrist is a bad idea. There are just too many advanced concepts that a guy like you would try and have some seriously bad results from.

BASICS - BASICS - BASICS. YouTube, shut the fuck up here and get out and practice.

By the way, I have only seen 1-2 people get the counter steering thing wrong. That's it. There are numerous that got it right. But again, it is something that you really need to get away from thinking about while riding and certainly not something you need to be out practicing. You have a SHIT PILE of things that you need to understand and practice with.

Otherwise, better get real familiar with fixing shit as this last event you had is only the beginning.

But hey, it ain't no big deal to you, right? Just like speed, man... You got this, yo!:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Look, it is for cornering. The problem with you is that you are jumbling everything that is being said into a big ol' pot and stirring it.

Counter steering can be contradicted when moving slow. You are in your driveway at 5 mph and turn the bars to turn the front wheel to the right, the bike will go right. Counter steering is for cornering. It helps assist the bike to turn also, but overall, for cornering. It is used to initiate a turn of the bike. Turns, corners, apex, etc are all the same idea.

This is why you really need to get on a bike like an MX bike and practice. If on an MX bike, you can fall over and not be really in any bad shape. Play bikes work best, but the idea is that you are completely targeted on counter steering. I TOLD YOU THAT YOU SHOULDN'T BE OUT THINKING ABOUT IT.

You have done it for years if you have ridden a bicycle. Just understand the principle. Understand means to just grasp the concept. The biggest thing you need to do is practice what is in the MSF course. Watch YouTube, see what they are doing and set that same scenario in an open parking lot and practice.

If you target on certain aspects, all you will do is make things worse because you have at about ground zero in terms of experience. It's like talking about trail braking. If you go and focus your attention on trail braking, it is too advanced for what you are capable of. Thus, some of this talk of Twist of the Wrist is a bad idea. There are just too many advanced concepts that a guy like you would try and have some seriously bad results from.

BASICS - BASICS - BASICS. YouTube, shut the fuck up here and get out and practice.

By the way, I have only seen 1-2 people get the counter steering thing wrong. That's it. There are numerous that got it right. But again, it is something that you really need to get away from thinking about while riding and certainly not something you need to be out practicing. You have a SHIT PILE of things that you need to understand and practice with.

Otherwise, better get real familiar with fixing shit as this last event you had is only the beginning.

But hey, it ain't no big deal to you, right? Just like speed, man... You got this, yo!:rolleyes:

I understand what your saying, but when I say I dont think about it and peopoe say I need to understand it and others.say dont think about it aswell its hard to know which one to listen to. Also here is a list of some points, not sure who all said what and im not gunna reread the thread to figure it out, but here we go.

(counter steering)

countersteering is for corners

Countersteering works anywhere

Counter steering can only be done at higher speeds

Counter steering can be done at any speed

Countersteering is noticable

Countersterring is more noticable at higher speed

Counter steering is almost impossible to see at higher speeds

Counter steering should be done over leaning

just kean and dont think about countersteering

Countersteering is dangerous.if u think about it

Its dangerous if you Dont think about.counter steering

(tight corners)

Corner at 7k rpm(cant be true, 0-600mi 4k max 600-1kmi 6k max but it could.be more effective for.advanced riders :dunno: )

Corner in 1st 2nd gear

Corner in 3rd

Doesnt matter what gear ur in

Use the rear break

Use the front break

use the clutch

1st gear is useless(another thread)

Dont use 1st gear unless your stopped

Only countersteer out a corner

countersteer into a corner

Too much different info, but that vid oldschoolsdime linked cleard up 90% of this info for me. I wasnt trying to play stupid, I was trying to learn, but with so much info being contradicted it kept taking me back to sqare one and confusing me more.

after watchinf that vid break it down into.baby steps it kind of broke down cornering and countersteering in a very simple, easy to understand method, without going into the complex part of cornering/countersteering that comes with more experience.

I do realize different methods work for different people and that they do things more than they realize, but im just trying to learn the bacis b4 I learn the more complex ways that are more.effective..for.the.experienced.rider.at higher.speeds where they need to.do these.things.

Its like driving my stick(car) at first I did things one.way till I got comfortable and THEN learned how to push my car to its limits. I just need to know the basics, ill figurebout how to push my ability.and my bikes ability to its limits waaay later.down the road,.for now i.just want o learn the safe way.to.do.things,.not.the.advanced way of.doing things.

Sorry for.any.inconvience I caused, but I just gotta take it slow and not try to learn advanced tips till I get the basics down first. And I do appreciate everyones input(even though some.of.it is more advanced.than I want to think about for now)

Sooooo I learned to ride on a litre bike, everyone said I'd kill myself and everyone else told me to wear gear and take it easy. End result: Best advice I ever got was from a friend of mine who told me simply, "Stop thinking about the differences the best scenario, who said what on what bike and just ride .... Stop thinking about everything and ride, ride everywhere, don't avoid anything just because you're not sure of it yet, ride within your limits without trying to think about what your limits are, just be comfortable, if you're comfortable on your bike at 60, then just ride at 60, if it's 20, ride at 20, just ride."

I've learned the secret to cornering a bike is 75% "Eye on the prize" haha, and let your body do what it needs to to move the bike that direction.

• Upvote 1

Sooooo I learned to ride on a litre bike, everyone said I'd kill myself and everyone else told me to wear gear and take it easy. End result: Best advice I ever got was from a friend of mine who told me simply, "Stop thinking about the differences the best scenario, who said what on what bike and just ride .... Stop thinking about everything and ride, ride everywhere, don't avoid anything just because you're not sure of it yet, ride within your limits without trying to think about what your limits are, just be comfortable, if you're comfortable on your bike at 60, then just ride at 60, if it's 20, ride at 20, just ride."

I've learned the secret to cornering a bike is 75% "Eye on the prize" haha, and let your body do what it needs to to move the bike that direction.

I like that mentality, although some people would disagree. That was pretty much the plan when I got.the bike, just ride it and do what im comfortable with(although did.have that 1 oh shit moment, I was comfortable till then :) and I still had fun on my first long twisty trip, even after the lil slide) pretty much strong wind, high speeds(over55) and wet roads are the only thing that make me uncomfortable(some would disagree cuz I did panic once)

Im still getting down the whole look where you wanna go thing, I do it 80% of the time, but I need to do it 100% of the time. Im gunna do some practice this weekend with a buddy so I can grasp the concepts better though, instead of.just going through the motions like a zombie :)