back to the basics

Exarch

Before I go, make sure you try using the clutch to power out of turns. You wanna slip while revving the motor so you can "squirt" out of the turns - especially 10mph hairpins. Allows the motor to never drop RPM and when she bites on exit, she's at full tilt and ready to eat!!

Out.

Um I'll forego reading the rest of the thread as this is some of the most useful info here...i understand the overarching concept, but a little vague on execution.

Can you elaborate? Is this on all turns? How does this effect neutral throttle?

My man crush on Brian right now is at a all time high, you have seriously given me the hugest erection ever!!!!!!

Ok here's my view on what happened, you didn't "lean" you were sitting straight up on the bike turned the Händel bars left to make the turn freaked grabbed a handful of front brake and the front end washed out, hence why the bike slid on its right in a left hand turn...now

#1 please do us all a favor and step away from th bike.

#2 never think a motorcycle is any way the same as a semi or car

#3 please please please please please don't get on a motorcycles until you have been properly trained.

Because at 10mph in 5th gear that corner can be coaster through. You are quickly burning bridges from some of the most knowledgeable people on this board.

My man crush on Brian right now is at a all time high, you have seriously given me the hugest erection ever!!!!!!

Ok here's my view on what happened, you didn't "lean" you were sitting straight up on the bike turned the Händel bars left to make the turn freaked grabbed a handful of front brake and the front end washed out, hence why the bike slid on its right in a left hand turn...now

#1 please do us all a favor and step away from th bike.

#2 never think a motorcycle is any way the same as a semi or car

#3 please please please please please don't get on a motorcycles until you have been properly trained.

Because at 10mph in 5th gear that corner can be coaster through. You are quickly burning bridges from some of the most knowledgeable people on this board.

+1

-VanDy

Um I'll forego reading the rest of the thread as this is some of the most useful info here...i understand the overarching concept, but a little vague on execution.

Can you elaborate? Is this on all turns? How does this effect neutral throttle?

Only in his case since he is new do you want to do this in every turn. You may also wish to shut the ignition off and then back on very quickly while at full throttle. This not only gives an excellent flame out of the exhaust, but helps with a sudden surge forward.

Also, I always suggest to newbies like this that they should immediately get the hacksaw and cut the mufflers clean off. Fill the tank with diesel fuel (He drives semi trucks so, he probably gets a hook up) and make sure you head out on a long ride. Diesel fuel is great for cleaning fuel injection on gas bikes. Little secret I only share when it is Friday at 3:45pm...

Outside that, try and stick the right knee out on left turns and left knee out on right turns. Helps with counter steering...

Also, I always suggest to newbies like this that they should immediately get the hacksaw and cut the mufflers clean off. Fill the tank with diesel fuel (He drives semi trucks so, he probably gets a hook up) and make sure you head out on a long ride. Diesel fuel is great for cleaning fuel injection on gas bikes...

I thought we are supposed to use NOS energy drinks for a fuel additive??? Now you're telling me diesel? Guess I've been doing it wrong....

-VanDy

It IS a big deal, doucher. It's no big deal to you because you crashed at 10 mph. Wait until you crash. You tipped over.

It's this mentality that has shined through and your endless responses that IF - I - F you actually listened, would see that there are shit piles of good people giving good info out. But, even with an EXACT representation of counter steering, you have no clue. None. Why is that?

I mean, maybe we are looking at this in the wrong light. Maybe you are just really ignorant and need a lot of help. I am starting to believe that. I'm not saying you need to be Steve Jobs to ride a bike. God knows I am not a smart guy. But, how I learned to ride bikes was mostly to listen and to take what I was told in a coaching type of way and apply it in a controlled environment.

I didn't have the luxury of an MSF course when I started. I got on my CBR600 and took the license course and got a little "M" on my driver's license. I then was able to take a lot of good info and use it from guys that were like coaches.

I started when I was 19 years old. That was late. No MX experience, no real experience at all. I started racing 4 years later and have done OK with it for the last 18 years. I've logged more street miles than average, but nothing near what some of these guys log. There are guys on here that have so many street miles per year they actually wear out bikes. I've had overall seat time in the neighborhood of probably double the average on all types of bikes, terrain and conditions.

What I am honestly trying to say is that this site and these peeps have enough experience to help a dude out. But, you need to be more like myself and be a sponge and do less talking and telling us how it is. You dig a hole after we fill it with enough good info that all we are now doing is talking to a brick wall.

There's a shit pile of good info here. A ton. But, you've clouded it up to the point that it is 6 pages all because of what? You DO NOT GET WHAT WE ARE TELLING YOU.

Nobody said to get rid of your bike. Although, I am starting to fear you are a guy that wants to be a motorcycle enthusiast, but really shouldn't be riding. But, what we are saying is that even though seat time is always a positive thing, you are going to continue to develop so many bad habits. Street guys in general have developed bad habits over the years, but it is minor things that are not dangerous, but are simply small little hurdles in the way they do things.

Your bad habits are going to develop into DANGEROUS things that are going to get you seriously hurt or even killed. You can laugh it off, say it all ain't no big deal and even tell us how low a risk 120 mph is, but at the end of the day, it again points to the idea that you are not well educated on motorcycles. If you were, you should be somewhat scared. Do you even know how much easier it is to get killed on a motorcycle KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING than it is driving a car? If you did, or if you would actually think about it, I think you might have a change of heart and really push to get more education.

But, I cannot wait for your retort. This will be good...

I got some seat time in today and practiced some of the info given here(b4 I could only think about it and not.actually practice it, but now.that I have practiced some of the tips given im starting to understand them more) it went pretty well, except for counter steering. Im not sure if im doing.it wrong or that I still dont get how it works :shrug:

I Pushed left(foward, away from.me )on my right bar with my right hand and my bike went left(not right) as I figured it would cuz the wheel.was pointing left. Im not trying to BS around with the counter steering as im TRYING to understand it. Was this done correctly or not? If it wasnt done correct(dont think it was) then im back to square 1 on counter steering :(

Only in his case since he is new do you want to do this in every turn. You may also wish to shut the ignition off and then back on very quickly while at full throttle. This not only gives an excellent flame out of the exhaust, but helps with a sudden surge forward.

Also, I always suggest to newbies like this that they should immediately get the hacksaw and cut the mufflers clean off. Fill the tank with diesel fuel (He drives semi trucks so, he probably gets a hook up) and make sure you head out on a long ride. Diesel fuel is great for cleaning fuel injection on gas bikes. Little secret I only share when it is Friday at 3:45pm...

Outside that, try and stick the right knee out on left turns and left knee out on right turns. Helps with counter steering...

my bikes not fuel injected, although im gunna get some high heat tape to make the.exaust run hotter(correct me if the tape is a bad idea)

Ill try.the knee thing in my next turn(ive done left knee out for left turn and vice versa, never tried.it the.other.way)

its only 6 :D

24 pages on my phone :lol: if his cap is set like mine thats alot of reading to do.

I Pushed left(foward, away from.me )on my right bar with my right hand and my bike went left(not right) as I figured it would cuz the wheel.was pointing left. Im not trying to BS around with the counter steering as im TRYING to understand it. Was this done correctly or not? If it wasnt done correct(dont think it was) then im back to square 1 on counter steering :(

How fast were you going? There is a minimum speed to be achieved before counter-steering actually takes effect. If you're doing 10mph around a parking lot, no, you won't be counter-steering. When you're going that slow, sure, when your wheel goes left you're going to turn left...

Get up to speed, say around 35 mph and try turning your wheel left a bit (just a little bit now) and see where the bike wants to go. (ps... it's not going to turn left....)

How fast were you going? There is a minimum speed to be achieved before counter-steering actually takes effect. If you're doing 10mph around a parking lot, no, you won't be counter-steering. When you're going that slow, sure, when your wheel goes left you're going to turn left...

Get up to speed, say around 35 mph and try turning your wheel left a bit (just a little bit now) and see where the bike wants to go. (ps... it's not going to turn left....)

Im not gunna lie here, going fast and making an input like that makes me a little nerves. no one ever mentioned to.me that you had.to.be at a certain.speed for it.to take effect(althouhh.I watched.a.vid.and.saw.countersteering from a stoped bike.taking a right tuen, I have to watch it again cuz I didnt grasp it.the first time)

I was in a parking lot when I did this.(15mph and under the whole.time) and countersteering did not.work, now.that I know I wasnt going fast enough for it to take effect that should help me out the next time I try it. Again a lil nerves bout doing it since.ive neber pushed my bar.at.those speeds, but im just gunna make sure no cars are around me when I attempt.this and hope.for.the best. Ane hey if it works ill practice it some more :D

thanks for breaking it down for me(although im curious how it works from a stop mow, as I did not practice it.from a stop, I only practiced it while riding up and down the parking lot wondering why it wasnt working lol)

If you've ever had your bike over say 20 mph & gone in anything but a straight line (yes?) you have already been countersteering. You just need to become aware that the bar inputs (push right go right, push left go left) are what is making your bike turn. Once you become aware of this it gets a lot easier to make the bike go where you want to go consistently. Good luck.

If you've ever had your bike over say 20 mph & gone in anything but a straight line (yes?) you have already been countersteering. You just need to become aware that the bar inputs (push right go right, push left go left) are what is making your bike turn. Once you become aware of this it gets a lot easier to make the bike go where you want to go consistently. Good luck.

Ive been saying this.the.entire.time :) but from the feedback ive.gotten im wrong on thie.theory :dunno: I didnt take.any.fast corners today, so I was not able to test my awareness today. The hard part though is being aware of something that happens naturally, if you dont think about it and just do it and then try to gain the concept(without being aware that you have ever done it) gets a little confusing.

im gunna try and concentrate more on what I am doing instead of what im not doing(if that makes sense) until I see the results of my physical actions, rather than just going with the flow(until I grasp the concept then I prob wont put much thought into it)

...except for counter steering. Im not sure if im doing.it wrong or that I still dont get how it works :shrug:

Countersteering is simple to see happen, in a parking lot take off in a straight line, once you get going at a

decent speed just tap your right grip forward (which points the wheel left) and your bike will "fall or lean" right.

Tap left one forward (which points the wheel right) and your bike will fall/lean left.

If you push the right grip forward and you just turn left, you're not going fast enough for the effect to work.

I may meet you someday because I feel bad for you. I'm game as long as you just listen and forget all you "heard". If you want to be a real rider I'm all for helping you.:dunno:

I'm not afraid of any corners and I'm very comfortable with them.

Edited by NinjaNick

I thought we are supposed to use NOS energy drinks for a fuel additive??? Now you're telling me diesel? Guess I've been doing it wrong....

-VanDy

That's really advanced chemistry. I wanted to start at the bottom and work up. You are cool to try the mixture. Just make sure to add that teaspoon of sugar also.

I just found my Basic Rider Course Handbook. Let me know if you want it. It has a lot of good beginner information until you actually get to take the course. Let me know if you want it.

Ya, gotta get ur # again, I got a new phone Tuesday and lost all my contacts cuz I didnt sync my phone =/

I may meet you someday because I feel bad for you. I'm game as long as you just listen and forget all you "heard". If you want to be a real rider I'm all for helping you.:dunno:

I'm not afraid of any corners and I'm very comfortable with them.

Too much hear say isnt good(totw2) not sure what to and what not to listen to 1/2 the time, sarcasm is harder to detect online than in person :)

Up to you, you prob live up the street from me(overlook here), I wouldnt turn anything down though.

Yep, I know overlook. I live Belmont/Riverside, right on the edge behind Immaculate school.

We can meet in a parking lot and help you understand more.

Just wait till its warm again. Itll only be about an hours time probably. Just pmme if you decide to take the offer.

I got some seat time in today and practiced some of the info given here(b4 I could only think about it and not.actually practice it, but now.that I have practiced some of the tips given im starting to understand them more) it went pretty well, except for counter steering. Im not sure if im doing.it wrong or that I still dont get how it works :shrug:

It doesn't work for you because you can't ride.

That's really advanced chemistry. I wanted to start at the bottom and work up. You are cool to try the mixture. Just make sure to add that teaspoon of sugar also.

Sugar not needed just add some of that Mio stuff, plus it makes your fuel pretty colors! :p

As for practice, here are some of the MSF basic maneuvers.

http://www.bikesafer.com/msf_brc_review_range.html

Edited by buildit