What would rip and take away the head of a rabbit?

Dubguy85

I moved to Indiana in a house in a neighborhood. I have a fence that is wooden and my small 9lb dog can't get out... I have heard we have coyotes sometimes, but don't think it would be able to jump the fence... We just got home and a rabbit was dead in our yard without a head anywhere in site.. no meat eaten.. just a missing head.. what would do this? Owl, Hawk,?

Makes me a lil nervous for my little dog that looks like a rabbit!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

No......don't kill that Owl, that would be seriously sad "AND ILLEGAL" and messed up!!:( Yes that owl can pick up your tiny dog and kill it no problem, they kill cats and birds all the time. Just be careful early morning and at night, that is when Owls are most active and hunting. He/she is just being an Owl, keep your dog inside unless it is full on daylight.

No......don't kill that Owl, that would be seriously sad "AND ILLEGAL" and messed up!!:( Yes that owl can pick up your tiny dog and kill it no problem, they kill cats and birds all the time. Just be careful early morning and at night, that is when Owls are most active and hunting. He/she is just being an Owl, keep your dog inside unless it is full on daylight.

Wierd thing is how it was "hunting" It freakin ripped the head off and left all the good bunny meat!

Almost any animal can do that to a rabbit. I would guess one with a mouth large enough to bite off the head. A cat or dog or coyote.

Hawks and owls take small dogs and cats all the time, even in the city. I've seen it happen. Dealing with one won't solve the problem. You will have to be outside with the dog, if you want to protect it. Or a caged run or something...

edit: also possible the owl dropped the rabbit and was looking for it....

Edited by ReconRat

^ legality never stopped some people hehe

True enough......but how is that the owl's fault? Birds of prey have every right to hunt and live where they desire, we just have to live along with them. I am still pissed at my best friend "years later" for killing a great Heron, just because it was hunting a few bluegill in his pond.:nono:

True enough......but how is that the owl's fault? Birds of prey have every right to hunt and live where they desire, we just have to live along with them. I am still pissed at my best friend "years later" for killing a great Heron, just because it was hunting a few bluegill in his pond.:nono:

^ this. It's not the owls fault dub guy bought a dog that usually women only get to carry in their purses.

• Upvote 1

Wierd thing is how it was "hunting" It freakin ripped the head off and left all the good bunny meat!

They many times kill specifically for the brains.....so makes perfect sense.;) Yes I happen to be a bird freak, appreciate and respect those creatures so much. And if that is a great horned owl, he very easily decapitated that rabbit. They are even known to attack and kill red tailed hawks, these bad boys have no known predator other than man.

Edited by Pokey

I moved to Indiana in a house in a neighborhood. I have a fence that is wooden and my small 9lb dog can't get out... I have heard we have coyotes sometimes, but don't think it would be able to jump the fence... We just got home and a rabbit was dead in our yard without a head anywhere in site.. no meat eaten.. just a missing head.. what would do this? Owl, Hawk,?

Makes me a lil nervous for my little dog that looks like a rabbit!

Our cats used.to tear the heads off.birds, jack rabits, snakes, possoms etc.... They were great Hunters, especially our Persian cat, but they only dropped em off at our house as.'presents' never anyone elses house...

Edited by Exarch
forgot to mention when we moved up.the.street cat used to bring the presents to our old house until they got used to our hous

lol, like "lack of bluegills" in a pond would be a problem...

lol, like "lack of bluegills" in a pond would be a problem...

Yeah he is already so overrun, that he throws them out when they are caught "little ones". That Heron was doing him a huge favor, and I'm sure others are still trying to help out. They do love frogs, so that was his other complaint as well.:rolleyes: