Listen music with in-ear buds when riding?

Ryo

I always use in-ear buds to listen music when riding with my helmet on. But for most time I prefer to wear just sunglass. I read online that in most states it is not forbidden if you have only one side of your ear buds on. Just would like to make sure that police will not pull me over if they see me riding with one ear bud on my ear.:(

I ride with both in, I highly doubt you will get pulled over for ear buds, if you do just rip one out. Simple as that. I got pulled over and had mine in, guy never said anything about them. He even saw me pull them both out of my ears.

:bow:I do doubt if cops will be that kind even u did that infront of them...

I ride with both in, I highly doubt you will get pulled over for ear buds, if you do just rip one out. Simple as that. I got pulled over and had mine in, guy never said anything about them. He even saw me pull them both out of my ears.

The amount of other illegal things going on with any one standard sportbike (power commander, cat removal, flushmount turn signals, reflector removal, license plate relocation, etc.), I am worried least about me wearing both earbuds at the same time. If there is one thing I have learned through ccw/gun forums is that cops don't know all, or even sometimes most, of the laws. When many cops don't know that open carry is legal, I'm absolutely certain they don't know 2 earbuds in at the same time is illegal. You could easily be charged with more things if you did something very wrong and they were trying to throw things at you that would stick but I doubt you are going to get a citation for it (unless of course a cop had to follow you for a while and the music was our excuse for not pulling over)

(unless of course a cop had to follow you for a while and the music was our excuse for not pulling over)

This is probably the only reason you would get cited IMO. If I am getting pulled over on my bike, 99% of the time the reason is probably going to be because of speed and not my ear buds. My ear bud cords are black though so they blend into my jacket and only pop out the top of the zipper. I am positive though that the cop saw both mine with their hunter orange tips and he didn't say anything. Just got a ticket for 84 in a 65.

If it is illegal in a car, it is most certainly illegal on a motorcycle. Would they and do they actually site you for it, that is a good question. I have a good buddy who is a state trooper, I will ask him.

We've gone over this before. One ear only unless the helmet has the speakers built in. Not sure the reasoning, but that's the state ordinance. This also means two earplugs are illegal also, it's not just music. Sort of a mute point on a bike where earplugs are mostly a necessity. Should the law be changed? Probably, but doubt it happens anytime soon.

But such is generally not enforced. And few would even know of it. When Walkman and headphones got popular, people got pulled over all the time for the "two ears" covered thing. But there are more important things for patrols to do nowadays and I haven't heard of that for many years.

I once rode for about 2 miles at 15-20 over the limit weaving through traffic and splitting lanes and shooting gaps with a county sheriff behind me the whole time. I was on canton rd headed north, she got behind me at Gilchrist and I finally stopped at Eastwood. I had no clue she was chasing me until I got to the light. After a brief discussion about my earbuds and how illegal they are, she asked me of I was any relation to Lawrence (last name omitted). To which I answered yes, he is my older brother. She smiled, said she used to date him and let me go.

7nTnr.png

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher
mother fucking autocorrect

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, “earphones” means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. “Earphones” does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

© Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

I once rode for about 2 miles at 15-20 over the limit weaving through traffic and splitting lanes and shooting gaps with a county sheriff behind me the whole time. I was on canton rd headed north, she got behind me at Gilchrist and I finally stopped at Eastwood. I had no clue she was chasing me until I got to the light. After a brief discussion about my earbuds and how illegal they are, she asked me of I was any relation to Lawrence (last name omitted). To which I answered yes, he is my older brother. She smiled, said she used to date him and let me go.

7nTnr.png

Use your mirrors!!! One of my biggest pet peeves in the world. Drivers and riders alike don't know how to use their damn mirrors!

As I suspected, this says nothing about ear plugs...which i always thought were legal.

What? :wtf:

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears.

So you have to choose between a ticket versus hearing damage.

ftfy

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. ...

As I suspected, this says something about ear plugs...which i always knew were illegal.

*** edit: DOH!

Use your mirrors!!! One of my biggest pet peeves in the world. Drivers and riders alike don't know how to use their damn mirrors!

Why would I look behind me if I didn't have a reason to because I couldn't hear the cop because I was jamming to some slipknot? I use my mirrors plenty.

You are still able to hear somewhat with earplugs, but blast music in your ears and you will hear nothing but music. Now add loud music to wind-noise while cruising down the road, makes sense to me why it should be illegal. I seriously doubt anybody would get a ticket for wearing "earplugs" on their motorcycle, regardless of what the law states. The earplugs are going to help you not damage your ears, the blasting of music inside your ears will surely cause damage. The music is also a distraction while riding IMHO, which none of us needs. To each their own however.;)

You are still able to hear somewhat with earplugs, but blast music in your ears and you will hear nothing but music. Now add loud music to wind-noise while cruising down the road, makes sense to me why it should be illegal. I seriously doubt anybody would get a ticket for wearing "earplugs" on their motorcycle, regardless of what the law states. The earplugs are going to help you not damage your ears, the blasting of music inside your ears will surely cause damage. The music is also a distraction while riding IMHO, which none of us needs. To each their own however.;)

on a personal level I disagree with both. I ride with music 90% of the time and I can still hear my engine and cars around me. Albeit not as well but it also helps I'm not a god damn retard and I'm excellent at being aware of my surroundings. For me also, I actually am less distracted with music as it somehow keeps me focused. I have my earbud in at least 6 hours out of my work day as well. I'm definitely against the norm in that sense though

Why would I look behind me if I didn't have a reason to because I couldn't hear the cop because I was jamming to some slipknot? I use my mirrors plenty.

no just in general its a pet peeve of mine. People don't use their mirrors and it annoys me so much because it would avoid accidents if people were more aware of their surroundings they wouldn't do as dumb of shit in cars. It especially annoys me with riders down in TN and NC when I'm trying to have a good pace and they won't kindly slide the fuck over :)