whats a good first gun?

Gooner

Hey, I was at the shooting range and was using the glock 22 (40 cal), cost around $575. my friend who is a deputy sheriff uses one, well they all do in California

I quite liked the gun. Anyone have an idea for a starter gun that you would want to keep!

Coming from England where you can't have a gun because the BIG GOVERNMENT say you can't!! I am still new to this and am interested in anyone's thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Well coming from England I would recommend a Bersa .380 concealed in a jock strap.

You did just open a can of worms though....

I would recommend XD, XDM, M&P, or Glock. These are what I tell everyone if they ask me. They are the best for the price. Compact or Full size doesnt matter and whatever you like best.

Good for you for wanting to buy something to keep. I would spend the money now and get something you will keep. Its worth it and dont cheap out.

I would get a 9mm as its cheaper to shoot and first gun = wanting to shoot.

Oh Good Luck and have fun. I love gun shopping!

• Upvote 1

I would recommend a 22lr if you haven't shot much and want to. The cost of ammo and the range plus that of the gun can be daunting and might keep you from wanting to go often. The cheap price of .22 will keep you shooting for a long time and build skills and technique that will transfer to all aspects of shooting. Even after you get to shooting bigger calibers, you will always love the 22 when you can go back and have to recoil and shoot 100's of rounds without feeling like you just blew a bunch of money.

There are a lot of gun threads on here, browse them. I carry my M&P 40 everyday and love it. Trust my life to it. Other good options; Glock, Sig, XD, all good choices. 9 or. 40 are good, .45 I think is too expensive and magazine capacity usually sucks. A .22 is great to have for marksmanship practice and ammo is cheap. Just don't skimp and get a cheap gun, its not worth the cost savings IMHO. Feel out as many as you can, and shoot them if you can.

When you get one, train, train, train.

Btw, what are planning on using it for? Carry, home defense, target, varmints?

First off what do u want it for, the range, home defence, conseal carry,ect??

This. Then buy a 22 to shoot frequently, and whatever you really wanted to shoot when you can afford throwing quarters down range instead of nickels.

Don't buy garbage... Ruger P95 or Smith Sigma are the only $300-ish guns worth buying. In the $400-$500 range, I echo the Glock/MP/XD/Beretta thoughts. Spending more? Tons of options. No need to start with a .22, but you will shoot more if ammo is cheap.

For a starter gun you also might want to consider a revolver. Simple to operate, far less likely to fail, and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Most of the brands mentioned so far offer some great revolvers too, Smith, Ruger, and Colt if you want something more "collectible" which will better hold value over time. Lots of calibers to choose from as well, including 22LR.

cz75

beretta 92fs

hk p30 v2

glock g19 or g17

sig p226

if you plan to carry it, buy a 9mm....its much cheaper to shoot than 40...if you just want a plinker, .22lr is nice because its much cheaper .....my EDC is .40, and i wish it was 9mm so i could afford to shoot it more often

Go away - We don't like British people here.

;) Just a piss-take. Reformed Yorkshireman at your service.

In Cali you don't get CCW do you? It's a May-issue state. As in Hell-may-freeze-over...

Get a caliber you can practice with, a lot. And do so. Don't put 50 rounds through it and then think you can pick off bad guys like Bond when the SHTF 10 years later.

I'm rockin' a Bersa 380 (PPK clone) as my EDC and it works for me.

Edited by Scruit

Well coming from England I would recommend a Bersa .380 concealed in a jock strap.

:cry: How dare you mock my jockstrap-o'death.

Seriously, though, I'm IWB 99% of the time. The 50-caliber-codpiece is for situations where an IWB would print too much.

Go away - We don't like British people here.

;) Just a piss-take. Reformed Yorkshireman at your service.

:wtf: Seriously?

In Cali you don't get CCW do you? It's a May-issue state. As in Hell-may-freeze-over...

Get a caliber you can practice with, a lot. And do so. Don't put 50 rounds through it and then think you can pick off bad guys like Bond when the SHTF 10 years later.

I'm rockin' a Bersa 380 (PPK clone) as my EDC and it works for me.

Ooo... Cali... I'm interested to hear how this plays out. California is where England gets all of it's ideas. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I'm a Taurus fan as most have probably noticed. My first gun was a full size Taurus 840. It was also the first gun I picked up that felt really good and pointed naturally. I don't like the way blocks feel even though they are apart bullet proof. I really like HK and Springfield XD series.

As others have asked, what are you going to be using it for? And have you shot a lot before?

I'm a Taurus fan as most have probably noticed. My first gun was a full size Taurus 840. It was also the first gun I picked up that felt really good and pointed naturally. I don't like the way blocks feel even though they are apart bullet proof. I really like HK and Springfield XD series.

The real reason I responded again was because I wanted to say, your bike looks extremely happy in your avatar.

The real reason I responded again was because I wanted to say, your bike looks extremely happy in your avatar.

You sir are correct. I never noticed that but now that you mention it it pops out. Haha. Awesome.