So I'd Like To Install My Own Chains...

wantahertzdonut

I'd like to replace my chain but don't want to cough up extra cash to have the shop install one. So I'll need a chain breaker. I figure it'll pay for itself after one chain, plus no turnaround time waiting for the shop to do the bike.

Is it worth shopping around or do all the tools work the same way? Anyone have any recommendations? I have three bikes all with different chains, 520, 525, and 530. I'll need something that will do all three.

I have the RK chain tool. From what I hear as long as you use it properly it should last forever for someone who's just doing their own bikes or friends bikes.

Check the site sponsors for pricing.

Heavy Duty chainbreaker/press kit from HP is what I bought -- big, stout tools and worth the $70 to get everything to swap chains all together in a plastic case. There's others that are of same or even better quality, so it's really up to you and your wallet

Still need to install the new one and will need a tool.

This.

I just replaced my chain and bought a Motion Pro chain tool to do it. It was kind of a pain and I was less than impressed with the Motion Pro tool. Also, make sure you don't buy one of the cheap "mini chain press" tools. Those are for chains with clip type master links and not the type of master link on a motorcycle chain. I learned that the hard way :facepalm:

I got the "BikeMaster" heavy duty one....Model 15-1555

it is a little more than the price of the RK but can handle ANYTHING out there. I was always one for buy the best & it will cost you less in the long run. but it depends on your wallet more than anything else.

Edited by myhondas

i used a harbor freight one when i did mine, it brakes the chain just fine but isnt made to re-rivet them, there is a youtube video on how to re rivet using the harbor freight braker but honestly it was a huge pain in the ass.

there are some from pit posse on ebay for $37. I bought one last week and used it to remove my RK 530 chain and install my EK 520 chain. works perfect. you have to grind off the heads of the pins on one side first. so you're going to need a grinder or a dremel too. or you could cut the chain off with a hack saw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-ATV-CHAIN-CUTTER-BREAKER-RIVETING-RIVET-TOOL-/170804156711?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c4b89927&vxp=mtr

it's a really nice kit. I did have to drill out the holes on the plate to clear my pins better. I didn't want to risk it bending my master link pins.

Edited by serpentracer

I have the Harbor Freight breaker, and the Mike'sXS chain tool (clone of the DID tool). Cheap options, but they've done over a dozen chain installs without a hitch.

I've done chains without any tools, and it works but it's a PITA. Good set of chain tools is worth it, even if it's not the most expensive tool on the market.

The Motion Pro tool is good' date=' but with any breaker, you should grind both pins on one side of the link you intend to break. This will save you much aggravation and driving to/from IronPony buying replacement parts for your new tool.

That, or pay me $25 to install your chain.[/quote']

That is why I bought a heavy duty one....no grinding necessary. Just hooked it up and start turning the driver.....breaks the rivet without much of a problem. Same with the repinning of the link. I feel it was worth every penny. Had mo problems when I did my 96 magna chain. the next one will be on the cb750.

It will probably never fail but I definitely feel safer with a riveted master link. I'd rather spend a little extra cash than risk having my master link break and chain fly off

Rivet links can fail too...saw one take a shit once. Rare, but anything can happen.

If you safety wire a clip link, it's not going anywhere. I use rivets on the street, but I've put probably 30 chains on dirt bikes and untold thousands of miles and never had a clip fall off.

Got a Dremel? Grind the rivets off.

This. Grind off the heads of the two old master link rivets before pushing the pins with the tool. Otherwise expect to be replacing the tool tip if damaged from breaking hard stuff like 530 chain.

there are some from pit posse...you have to grind off the heads of the pins on one side first. so you're going to need a grinder or a dremel too...

And this. Pit Posse has excellent motorcycle tools.

Most of the upscale deluxe kits in it's own case will work well. Be aware that some types of chains require special tools, that you'll need to buy from the manufacturer (different forming of the head of the finished rivet). Not many, I avoid them. Don't mix parts of different chains, links and stuff. The master link should be specific to the type of chain. It will be a press fit on most. It won't slide right on like a bicycle master link. The kit will do that part also. It will press the old one out and the new one in.

If you've not experienced in forming the head of a rivet, try to measure it for finished dimensions. Dimensions should be included with the master link.

I use a Dremel on the old master link rivet heads, it's pretty quick. Take them down till flush. An angle grinder works, but it's hard to find a position to get contact. Grinding the old side plate doesn't matter, it won't be used again.

I use a right angle die grinder to remove the rivets, do this while it is positioned on the rear sprocket and the chain will not flex on you. No need to use the chain tool to remove the link. Just shove a big screwdriver or chisel in the old link to pry apart.

ZRX341.jpg

RK chain tool here to install your new master.

ZRX100.jpg

• Upvote 1

Master-link with a clip works just fine too.:cool:

I will never use a clip link again. I have had 2 fail. One at about 75mph and I went for a massive highside as the chain locked up the rear wheel and the other we found with the bike sitting in the pits.