cruiser suggestions

andy9743

so the wife suggests that we get a cruiser, something more comfortable for longer rides...i'm not selling my "sportbike" (i'm sure some would argue if its a sportbike or not (superhawk)) so this would be an additional bike. where to start? suggestions on models to look at? i'm not sure on budget right now i'd say 6kish is a good starting point. if i can get something for less that i can stand to look at and enjoy riding even better. not really a harley guy, or really a cruiser guy at all, some look ok,, im just very uneducated on them (kawasaki mean streak is a neat looking bike)...

direction or suggestions?

thanks guys

Fortunately there's a boatload of Japanese cruisers in that price range. If you just want to "cruise" I'd look at the VTX1300. It's reliable, easy to maintain and comfortable. If you want a little Go then I'd consider a Mean Streak, Warrior etc..

You won't find a Harley for $6k that's worth riding anyway, so nothing to worry about there.

I was looking at VTX's, Vulcan's and Warriors/Mean Streak's when I found my Raider. I love my Raider, but I don't think you'll find one for $6k or less. Suzuki Boulevards are nice too.

cool bike...

now for towing the S.O. on a tour of the countryside to put in the stable, I'd suggest a shadow 750, super reliable, enough power/torque to tow 2 people around at highway speeds, and a great deal of aftermarket if you want to dress it up a little...

Also, they are super cheap.

Decide if you are looking to go on a trip or just want to cruise local backroads. For trips go for a bike sport tourer - FJ1300, ST1100/1300 - For local cruising there is a ton of options. I have a Valkyrie, I like it cause its kinda weird and out of the mainstream, 6 cylinders and will haul ass when you crank it. Ive had it since new and still like it. If you found one it would be around 5k.

Edited by mello dude

Lots of Nomad 1600's in that price range. I have put about 40K on mine and am happy as a clam. Should be lots of Honda 1300's in that price range just make sure you find one that someone already put the bags on and highway bars and all that crap. They come pretty neekid. But still an outstanding bike.

I am not so sure sport tourer is what she is looking for back there. The back seat isn't going to be much better for her. It will be better, but not so awesome.

I agree with Tonik, for two-up riding a used Nomad could be had in your price range and would be a good choice. I would advise against trying to get a "sporty" cruiser in the hope that it's going to feel like your Superhawk because you'll just end up with something that has an uncomfortable mouse pad of a seat for your wife to sit on and will still be slower handling and less fun than your sportbike. So you'll both be dissatisfied.

A Suzuki Intruder 1400 will take care of you rather well, and in that price range you will find quite a few, although I am in love with my Midnight Warrior. Of all the cruisers mentioned, the Midnight Warrior looks the best and handles almost like a sportbike. It will take care of you in the curves or if you just want to take it easy, you can do that as well. The handling is better than you would think from a heavier bike. Keep it moving though or you will feel the heat from that 1700cc V-Twin, being air cooled and everything. Harley's have their place but not with what you want to spend so of course you'll go metric.

I love my Meanstreak, but bone stock it is not ideal for riding 2up. You would have to replace the seat with something more comfortable and a back rest. The mods are there, but there isn't a lot being produced anymore. Most of the power cruisers aren't going to be all that comfortable for a passenger. The M109r maybe, but you'll be hard pressed trying to find one in your price range. Same with the Raiders.

If you are just looking for something to go to dinner on or a poker run, the power cruisers would be ok with some mods, if you are looking for something to go on a decent trip, you'll have to look at baggers of some sort....

I love my Meanstreak, but bone stock it is not ideal for riding 2up. You would have to replace the seat with something more comfortable and a back rest. The mods are there, but there isn't a lot being produced anymore. Most of the power cruisers aren't going to be all that comfortable for a passenger. The M109r maybe, but you'll be hard pressed trying to find one in your price range. Same with the Raiders.

If you are just looking for something to go to dinner on or a poker run, the power cruisers would be ok with some mods, if you are looking for something to go on a decent trip, you'll have to look at baggers of some sort....

Agreed, I upgraded to a mustang touring seat for the Mrs. Not really conducive for long distance riding 2up tho.

cool bike...

now for towing the S.O. on a tour of the countryside to put in the stable, I'd suggest a shadow 750, super reliable, enough power/torque to tow 2 people around at highway speeds, and a great deal of aftermarket if you want to dress it up a little...

Also, they are super cheap.

+1 or a VT1100 Shadow ACE if power is a concern. Both are super relaible. The 1100 doesn't need valve adjustments either and the shaft drive is nice.