What i did in guns.

kawi kid

27 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Who is the resident glock guru?  I'm being talked into a G19 and curious what I can expect to pay...

New Gen 4 probably 600-650 from a store. Gen 3 (without interchangable backstraps) probably a little less (550-500). Used even less.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Well, being the weather is crap for outdoor shooting.  I have been reloading .30-06, lots of it.  I didn't load the AP ammo on the right but all of the standard FMJ rounds have been loaded in the last two weeks.  There is 1008 total rounds of ammo in the picture all on Enbloc clips for the Garand rifle.  :)

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6897.jpg

Edited by vf1000ride
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Who is the resident glock guru?  I'm being talked into a G19 and curious what I can expect to pay...

Look up penn station guns in new phili it's a little bit of a haul but the owner posts on his Fb account all the time that if you pay more than $465 for a new Gen 3 and $499 for a new Gen 4 you're being ripped off.

I bought both my new gen 3s for 499, but didn't have to drive an hour and my used gen 3 for 500 but it came with a shitpot of extra mags, brand new night sights and a bitchin kydex holster 

well now i'm second-guessing myself...

I don't shoot 9mm often for two reasons:  1) the ammo isn't super cheap, and 2) I don't own a standard-sized 9mm that is enjoyable to shoot.  I also don't yet own a 22 pistol.  I'm thinking I should get the 22 pistol first, then pick up the 9mm.

Then i have to decide if I really need a $500(ish) 9mm, or if a more 'entry' level gun is just as good for someone like me.  I want something accurate, but I'm not going to competition shoot.  The M&P 9 for sale here is a good price, but for $299 (or less) I could get the SD9 VE.  That's $100 of ammo, range time, extra magazines, etc...  I feel like I'm debating between a 1000RR and a VFR.  What do I really need, and what am I going to be good enough to utilize?

4 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Look up penn station guns in new phili it's a little bit of a haul but the owner posts on his Fb account all the time that if you pay more than $465 for a new Gen 3 and $499 for a new Gen 4 you're being ripped off.

I bought both my new gen 3s for 499, but didn't have to drive an hour and my used gen 3 for 500 but it came with a shitpot of extra mags, brand new night sights and a bitchin kydex holster 

Yep, this place is right by my house and they are always cheap.

2 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Then i have to decide if I really need a $500(ish) 9mm, or if a more 'entry' level gun is just as good for someone like me.  I want something accurate, but I'm not going to competition shoot.  The M&P 9 for sale here is a good price, but for $299 (or less) I could get the SD9 VE. 

Do yourself a favor and don't buy that. While it's cheap, and reliable, it's not a joy to shoot. I don't find the grip to be super forgiving after about 100 rounds.
Spend the extra $200 or so and get an M&P if you're going for S&W. Better comfort IMO, for all day fun. Plus the interchangeable backstraps give you versatility for hand size and grip.

That is of course my opinion, which everyone has. Get what best suites you, for what you want to do.
9mm isn't really too bad right now. Cabelas had 100/$21 yesterday. I find .22LR to be more expensive and harder to find still.

• Upvote 1

Came across this the other day. Pretty much sums up firearms.......Guns fall into four categories 4 arrows

type of users fit into the four corners with the addition of two.....Defenders(Personal Protection non-professional) and Selective Eclectic (me)

shooting_advice_1.jpg

On 2/16/2016 at 9:24 AM, redkow97 said:

Then i have to decide if I really need a $500(ish) 9mm, or if a more 'entry' level gun is just as good for someone like me. 

What is the primary purpose of this gun?

Plinking? Home Defense, Carry, Penis enlarging?

40 minutes ago, Tonik said:

What is the primary purpose of this gun?

Plinking? Home Defense, Carry, Penis enlarging?

all of thee above :)

Realistically, I want a 9mm that I can accurately and enjoyably shoot.  I want it to be small enough to carry if I choose, but large enough that I can easily control it.   G19 is "not quite full-sized," and fits my other requirements.   I will manage to reconcile the price if it legitimately fits all my criteria.   Plus then I can rationalize a G43 as a carry piece upgrade at some point.

15 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I knew I should have been more specific.  You can only have two, not three. And if you pick Carry, plinking can't be the other choice.

Edited by Tonik

22 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Realistically, I want a 9mm that I can accurately and enjoyably shoot.  I want it to be small enough to carry if I choose, but large enough that I can easily control it.   G19 is "not quite full-sized," and fits my other requirements.   I will manage to reconcile the price if it legitimately fits all my criteria.   Plus then I can rationalize a G43 as a carry piece upgrade at some point.

That is exactly where I was/am at. I went from a 26. It was ok to conceal but I didnt shoot it well.

IMO I can carry my G19 just as well as I could the 26. I shoot it accurately. Slightly better even with my lone wolf barrel (totally a mind trick but hey whatever works). Now I want a G43.

51 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

That is exactly where I was/am at. I went from a 26. It was ok to conceal but I didnt shoot it well.

IMO I can carry my G19 just as well as I could the 26. I shoot it accurately. Slightly better even with my lone wolf barrel (totally a mind trick but hey whatever works). Now I want a G43.

That's the problem IMHO with a G19.  Although some carry it fine, I think it's too big and I prefer a G26 for 10+1 round cold weather carry, and slot in a G19 magazine and spacer for 15+1 rounds of home defense.  That said, even the G26 is a little bulky for warm weather carry, and I prefer a CM9 or even an LCP when it's 80+ outside.  None of those are a joy to shoot all day at the range, but 100-200 rounds through each is easy peezy and are accurate enough for 7-10 yard engagements.

If I had to keep only one gun, it would be my G26 with HD night sights and both 10 and 15 round magazines, carried in a Nemesis pocket sleeve and a kydex PJ Holster IWB clip.

Dress around the gun you are comfortable with, don't get a gun to go with your dress.

I can conceal my G26 perfectly at 2 o'clock, in jeans and a tshirt. It does get a bit heavy and don't really want to use it for work, so for work I carry an LCP.

Probably once funds are replenished I'll pick up a g43 and use that for summer carry at work and maybe get an ankle rig for the LCP to tuck under my jeans.

I'd like to try another Kahr but the 380 i had was such a piece of shit, literal piece of shit. every 5th round was a ftf. sent it back still same problem.

sold it to some poor soul for what I paid for it...

i do have a recurring dream I'm in a gun fight and my LCP fails to go into battery and i have to slap the slide forward... but every time i've shot it, it works flawlessly.

Edited by zx3vfr

• Casper unpinned this topic