What i did in guns.

kawi kid

Spikes honey badger striped lower, Daniel's defense lower parts kit minus trigger group, giessle super dynamic 3 gun trigger. 65 degree safety ambi switch. Spikes stt2 buffer an spring. Magpul bad lever, extended mag release button. Running a sopmod stock right now going to a magpul ubr stock when I get funds. Shoots sweet, no kick at all with buffer. Trigger is sweet.

Anyone got a .357 or .44 magnum lever-action rifle to sell?  It's a type I don't own and am looking around for deals.  PM me if you have a Winchester 94 or Henry you'd like to part with; I might consider a Marlin 1894 or 336 as well.

This weekend I watched my 9th grader nephew shoot trap (he did well) and advised my brother-in-law on his first centerfire handgun.  He had a hard-on for a Beretta M9, so we found a great sample for a decent price (for Virginia anyway).  Also signed up my daughter and her boyfriend for NRA memberships and picked up a couple more extended mags for an AR, LCP and 10/22.

Brought home a stainless Rossi M92 lever action rifle yesterday in .44 magnum/.44 Special, 16" length.  I took the best of four available.  Fit and finish is typical Taurus/Rossi - passable but nothing to write home about, but I intentionally bought it as a starting point for a refinishing project.  An Alberti or Henry would have been lovely but twice the cost and 2 lbs extra weight, so I didn't feel it.  I plan to redo the stocks with a gazillion coats of Tru-Oil, carefully file and polish parts of its guts, replace the mag spring and follower and make a leather butt pad & lever wrap.  Should be fun and end up with a different kind of range shooter with the option to hunt with it next season if I want (Ohio permits straight-walled cartridges).

At 5 lbs, it's gonna kick hard like a shotgun, but .44 Specials should be much easier on the shoulder.

My buddy bought one this year said it kicks hard. I don't see how it would though. I shoot his handgun an its not that bad, how would a rifle be any worse?

Interesting, thanks.  I bet you and your son will enjoy that muzzle loader - I've only seen others have a great time with them.  Gotta love stainless too.

A .44 Mag or .357 mag round in a handgun is a force to behold - heck, the concussion wave alone is jarring.  Much less so in a rifle, but from what I've seen, it's still akin to a Mosin Nagant 91/30 or Enfield .303 based on the recoil charts.  I wrung my knuckles over whether to get the .357 or .44 but in the end decided to man up and enjoy that fat nearly-45 caliber broadside.  I'm sort of depending on softer .44 Special loads to be merciful when plinking at the range, while still having .44 Mag LeverEvolution power available.  It's likely I'll sew in padding to a leather wrap butt pad.

Buddy also has a Rossi stainless model, it is small. He has to get used to the sights he was having a hard time sighting it in.

I'm not surprised and I'm not under the illusion this'll be a slam-dunk, no issue project.  I might even end up removing the buckhorn rear sight and mounting a low-profile red dot if my middle-aged eyes can't cope.  I'll feel a lot less awful about customizing a Rossi than an old Winchester or pricey Alberti.  I bet I'll get this rifle looking and operating nicely though.  Call it my "Taming of the Shrew / Pygmalion" project for the winter.

Brought home a stainless Rossi M92 lever action rifle yesterday in .44 magnum/.44 Special, 16" length.  I took the best of four available.  Fit and finish is typical Taurus/Rossi - passable but nothing to write home about, but I intentionally bought it as a starting point for a refinishing project.  An Alberti or Henry would have been lovely but twice the cost and 2 lbs extra weight, so I didn't feel it.  I plan to redo the stocks with a gazillion coats of Tru-Oil, carefully file and polish parts of its guts, replace the mag spring and follower and make a leather butt pad & lever wrap.  Should be fun and end up with a different kind of range shooter with the option to hunt with it next season if I want (Ohio permits straight-walled cartridges).

At 5 lbs, it's gonna kick hard like a shotgun, but .44 Specials should be much easier on the shoulder.

Is it rated to handle hot .44 mag loads?  S&W revolvers, for example, can't handle .44 +p+.

Is it rated to handle hot .44 mag loads?  S&W revolvers, for example, can't handle .44 +p+.

Yes, .44 Mag rated and will also feed .44 spl as long as they're not super short.  The block design is really strong - has the ascending dual block locks like the original Winchesters had.  Many shooters are putting Hornandy LeverEvolution rounds through theirs at around $1.10/rd: http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Mag-225-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/ while others are hunting with .70/rd soft points.  Not cheap to shoot unless you reload, but I don't have interest in reloading yet.

Ferkinghoff-Rossi-03.jpg?resize=930x870%

Edited by smccrory

• 1 month later...

Bloody fuck. 2 new glocks. Swore I'd never own one but bought a 19 as a gift to myself just because and then sold my xd subcompact and came across a deal on a used 26 I couldn't pass up..... 500 for a pretty much unused one with a kydex iwb holster and 4 mags, with either pierce extensions on 2 and GAP floor plates on the other 2.

now actively searching for a 17, 17L or 34.....,. Someone needs to buy my FN so I can fund that purchase. 

New gun cabinent all put together and anchored to the wall using 4 lag bolts into the studs and 4 90# anchor bolts into the drywall. Wife wasn't to happy about the size but it got moved into our living roo, storage closet no longer in out bedroom closet so I get points for freeing up that space. Did install extra shelving because she uses it as her eBay staging closet too.

overall pretty happy with it, definitely need to get a pistol rack for the Glock shelf especially once I sell the FN and pick up a full sized Glock. 

I've been renting and shooting 22 pistols on my lunch break.  No real noticeable differences in accuracy between the 1911-22, M&P 22 (full-sized), or SR22.  All 3 guns are extremely well used, and the magazine didn't want to seat on the Ruger.  I also had to "ride" the slide forward to chamber the first round on that pistol.  Spring probably needs replaced.

Regardless, the whole exercise has been fun, but somewhat useless...  I have to buy CCI rounds to put through the rental pistols, so there's no way to know which (if any) will reliably feed bulk ammo.  Youtube is helpful for this, and I read good things about the Ruger and the Smith.  The 1911-22 is a Sig copy made by a german company - one of those smaller brands that imports stuff to "Rural King" and other random chain stores and then sells them for $280 new... 

All things considered, I may go that route.  For the price, you can't beat it.  They're reasonably reliable, comfortable, accurate, and they look cool. 

20 hours ago, redkow97 said:

I've been renting and shooting 22 pistols on my lunch break.  No real noticeable differences in accuracy between the 1911-22, M&P 22 (full-sized), or SR22.  All 3 guns are extremely well used, and the magazine didn't want to seat on the Ruger.  I also had to "ride" the slide forward to chamber the first round on that pistol.  Spring probably needs replaced.

Regardless, the whole exercise has been fun, but somewhat useless...  I have to buy CCI rounds to put through the rental pistols, so there's no way to know which (if any) will reliably feed bulk ammo.  Youtube is helpful for this, and I read good things about the Ruger and the Smith.  The 1911-22 is a Sig copy made by a german company - one of those smaller brands that imports stuff to "Rural King" and other random chain stores and then sells them for $280 new... 

All things considered, I may go that route.  For the price, you can't beat it.  They're reasonably reliable, comfortable, accurate, and they look cool. 

I had a p22 that would eat anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
On February 6, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Tpoppa said:
1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

This is my newest.  Soon to have a mini red dot.   Curious if it will shoot any better than my S&W 22S.

SW22-Victory-Pistol.jpg

Reminds me of my ex wife.

Been eyeing one of those, don't currently have a 22 pistol, but I'm thinking I need a 40 S&W Glock first then I'll have a Glock in all major calibers.

I've had every generation of Ruger 22 at one time or another.  They are excellent pistols, the S&W 22S is just more accurate in my hands.  It will also eat any type of ammo. I hope the 22 Victory does also.

I was going to buy a stainless Buckmark until I saw this Victory.

• Casper unpinned this topic