What i did in guns.

kawi kid

I keep 3" steel pellet "BB" sized shot in my defense shotgun.  Both the exterior and interior walls in my house are super thin.  I do not want the chance of something like double aught making it into a neighbors house. 

Sporting supply of 7.5-9 shot.

My backup supply does include a bunch of slug and OO buck if it ever came to that.  :)

It's difficult to find what will not go right through walls. The only thing I can think of is air marshals carry low penetration 44 special.

Shotguns probably penetrate more than you think. I've seen the aftermath of a drunken accidental shotgun discharge in a basic apartment. Shot didn't stop till it hit a cinder block wall, and cratered that. It held a tight pattern through the drywall and a solid wooden headboard. Didn't even think about slowing down.

12 feet from the muzzle to the first wall - Winchester 2 3/4″, #1 Buck, 16 pellets - penetrated 6 sheets of drywall and bounced off the 7th +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6clay9pFaw

On 9/18/2018 at 8:44 AM, Tonik said:

My answer would have been the same.

Looking into it more, and i agree that buckshot will be the go-to defensive round going forward, but i found some good videos of 7.5 birdshot fucking up 1.5x1.5” treated lumber. It saws it in half in 1-2 shots  

At home defense distances, i think it would mess up an intruder pretty badly. 

But i get what you’re saying - you don’t want to THINK the second shot will put someone down, you want to KNOW the first one will. 

My kids’ rooms are next to each other, so i have 270 degrees of ‘backstop’ where i’m Not hitting them. In an ideal situation, i shoot down the stairs and my only over penetration casualty is the tile. If i’m Shooting down the hallway, the vast majority of any pellets that make it through or around an intruder would likely hit my chimney. 

If anything makes it out of the house and into my neigherbor’s, i would hope it’s slowed down and lost most of its energy by then. It’s not like it’s a slug... 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Glock 36 Slimline in very nice shape.  Single stack .45 ACP.  Sell here for $425, which is a pretty good deal IMO.

IMG_20190311_125852_DRO.jpg

Been a while since I've looked at glocks. Didn't know they came out with a single stack .45.

19 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

My 1911 is the same size as that Glock and still is a 7+1 in 45acp.  It only weights 3oz more.  Not sure why the hate.  😁

IMG_20140228_103500679.jpg

Nice looking pistol

3 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

Because the Glock doesn’t Jam like the 1911

We really need to get together one of these days so you can shoot my 1911's.  That Kimber is up around 2k rounds and is 100% failure free since I've owned it.  I have a Springfield 1911 that I purchased back in 1998 that I couldn't begin to tally up the total amount of ammo through it but I have worn out the main spring twice so far.  There are 2 failures I can think of for the Springfield and both caused by poor QC on my reloads.  One was a squib that got the bullet about two inches up the barrel and I had another with a wrinkled case that just wouldn't fit in the chamber.  I have had so many people claim they are unreliable but I have been lucky to have never seen it myself.

• Casper unpinned this topic