kawi kid

Ordered first round of goodies for the M&P15 Sport 2

Midwest Industries 15" lightweight free float handguard 

Midwest low pro gas block 

VG6 Epsilon stainless muzzle brake 

ASAP-QD sling attachment mount 

Radiant ambidextrous charging handle 

Magpul MS4 sling 

The AR was already surprisingly accurate out of the box, can't wait to shoot it with all these goodies... I hear the VG6 almost entirely eliminates muzzle rise 

Next thing to order is Troy tritium battle sights... It came with a flip up rear but the front was A2 so I'll need at least a front sight... Might as well upgrade both lol

Edited by Steve Butters

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Dang it. I had one of those. Saved up my pennies to buy it. I think my parents didn't like it and threw it out eventually. It fired little plastic snap in bullets on springs in cartridge cases. Sort of dawn of airsoft stuff. Probably worth a lot now as a collectable. So sad.

Eight of the DefCAD firearms files for 3D printing were available for a few days before the new release. Injunction shut the site down for now. I'm guessing these were newest updated files. If your google talents are good, you'll find at least two mirror sites that have the new files.

16 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Dang it. I had one of those. Saved up my pennies to buy it. I think my parents didn't like it and threw it out eventually. It fired little plastic snap in bullets on springs in cartridge cases. Sort of dawn of airsoft stuff. Probably worth a lot now as a collectable. So sad.

My dad had one as a kid. I found it while snooping through grandpa's basement as a child and I thought it was real.

11 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Eight of the DefCAD firearms files for 3D printing were available for a few days before the new release. Injunction shut the site down for now. I'm guessing these were newest updated files. If your google talents are good, you'll find at least two mirror sites that have the new files.

I cant wait to see what the NRA does about this. They want to get a gun in the hand of every American, however this 3D printing shit will take away money from the major gun manufacturers, the same ones that donate millions to the NRA.

:popcorn: 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I cant wait to see what the NRA does about this. They want to get a gun in the hand of every American, however this 3D printing shit will take away money from the major gun manufacturers, the same ones that donate millions to the NRA.

:popcorn: 

I am a huge gun advocate but in my opinion this is all bad! Anyone with a 3D printer should not be allowed to make a gun.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bowdog said:

I am a huge gun advocate but in my opinion this is all bad! Anyone with a 3D printer should not be allowed to make a gun.

I agree. While some 3D printer owners may be legitimate responsible gun owners, theres just no way (that comes to mind) how those firearms/ design files can be as easily regulated as a regular gun.

Plus even if we could regulate those files, you know someone out there will reverse engineer one and make the design files anyway. Bad all around imo.  

• Upvote 1

What are the laws around making your own gun?  Don't all firearms require a manufacturing serial number?  Wouldn't that make printing a 3D gun illegal, and the plans a criminal tool?

I know I wouldn't want to fire one...I'd be worried about it blowing up in my hand.

Would a plastic firearm really be good for more than one shot? And if you really want to make a gun, take $10  and a shotgun shell to the hardware store and build a zip gun.  Shoot all day.  It’s really not that hard.

This is just more blather from the leftist media.

Edited by max power

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I agree. While some 3D printer owners may be legitimate responsible gun owners, theres just no way (that comes to mind) how those firearms/ design files can be as easily regulated as a regular gun.

Plus even if we could regulate those files, you know someone out there will reverse engineer one and make the design files anyway. Bad all around imo.  

I disagree. People already build their own guns. Making it illegal won't do anything, it's already illegal and people find ways. This is just another tool available to them. I doubt it causes people to want to do harm suddenly because they're able to print a gun. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

I disagree. People already build their own guns. Making it illegal won't do anything, it's already illegal and people find ways. This is just another tool available to them. I doubt it causes people to want to do harm suddenly because they're able to print a gun. 

I'm not saying the availability of 3D print designs will suddenly make little jimmy that got a printer for xmas say to himself, "well now that I can print a gun, what kind of mischief can I get into." I don't believe that either. I agree that criminals will be criminals regardless of the law, 3D printers or not.

All I'm saying is it'll be almost impossible to regulate the printing of these things. When you build a gun now, don't you at some point have to buy a receiver and that requires you to go through the same process as buying a gun? (Serious question, I have no idea.)

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

What are the laws around making your own gun?  Don't all firearms require a manufacturing serial number?  Wouldn't that make printing a 3D gun illegal, and the plans a criminal tool?

I know I wouldn't want to fire one...I'd be worried about it blowing up in my hand.

Anyone can make their own gun from scratch. It's always been that way. ATF rules. Standard limits of ownership apply. Even some one not allowed to buy one in a store, although that gets questionable, since then they would then be in possession of a firearm, which is not allowed for some. You don't have to put mark or serial number on it, unless you want to sell or transfer it. If you make several that all look alike, it would be wise to serial number them. If you make big batches with intent to sell, then you fall under firearm manufacturer rules, which apply to reloaded ammo sales also.

3D printed firearms... ok, expensive, difficult, fragile, not dependable, and require fitting and adjustment nearly worthy of a gunsmith. Most people probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to assembly the parts. Once completed, you have a firearm that might fire a maximum of 500 times before breaking in some way that might be hazardous. But if you want to print a grip or hand guard or a copy of some nice flip up sights, that's where this is at right now.

The media believes it's load the software, hit the print button, grab the gun and go bang right now. Doesn't work that way. Except for the US Army, who are really really into getting this technology forward in the battle zone.

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

All I'm saying is it'll be almost impossible to regulate the printing of these things. When you build a gun now, don't you at some point have to buy a receiver and that requires you to go through the same process as buying a gun? (Serious question, I have no idea.)

That is indeed part of the current political argument. you can also print the receiver/frame of a weapon that normally has the serial number on it and all that. But unless you own a printer that prints metal instead of plastic, they just won't take the punishment of actual usage.

edit: it would be also rather stupid to have a barrel made of plastic....

edit again: I should admit that there are decent plastic lower receivers for AR-15 available. Cast and machined, and really not the same as something that got printed at home.

Edited by ReconRat

2 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

That is indeed part of the current political argument. you can also print the receiver/frame of a weapon that normally has the serial number on it and all that. But unless you own a printer that prints metal instead of plastic, they just won't take the punishment of actual usage.

There are carbon lowers that are manufactured for the public. I have 3D printers at work that can interlace carbon with hard plastics or just straight up print the carbon composite stuff (I'm not the engineer, so I dont know what the technical term is for that material they showed me earlier this week) making it ridiculously strong. The piece they showed me was for milling equipment and things like HAAS machines to fasten items to it so they could be milled. (So its pretty strong.) It would be "strong enough" to do damage before it broke at the very least.

Edited by TimTheAzn

21 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm not saying the availability of 3D print designs will suddenly make little jimmy that got a printer for xmas say to himself, "well now that I can print a gun, what kind of mischief can I get into." I don't believe that either. I agree that criminals will be criminals regardless of the law, 3D printers or not.

You can buy 80% lowers and finish them yourself with little effort, doing so bypasses all background checks associated with buying a lower since it's not a completed piece. Felons can order everything online to build their own firearm without any checks. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding. 

Not sure what is required to make the gun legal, but I know you can build them without a background check 

https://www.gadsdengunsblog.com/can-you-really-get-a-rifle-without-a-background-check/

Edited by Steve Butters

32 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

There are carbon lowers that are manufactured for the public. I have 3D printers at work that can interlace carbon with hard plastics or just straight up print the carbon composite stuff (I'm not the engineer, so I dont know what the technical term is for that material they showed me earlier this week) making it ridiculously strong. The piece they showed me was for milling equipment and things like HAAS machines to fasten items to it so they could be milled. (So its pretty strong.) It would be "strong enough" to do damage before it broke at the very least.

I thought about printing the part in water soluble, to make a mold, to make a casting in epoxy-carbon fiber. That would be strong enough. Could also go up one notch and make slurry casting molds and pour aluminum. Back yard stuff, it's going to be about the same as a kit to build a black powder rifle, soon enough. People just get smarter and more talented over time.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

Curious what 12 ga loads everyone keeps on hand. 

I bought no 6 birdshot to start. 

At 10 feet, assuming your attacker is nekkid you might get 4 inches of penetration. Throw in some clothes and bones and my suggestion is you let them close the distance so you can put the barrel up their ass before you pull the trigger. That is your only chance.

Buckshot, it's the new oil.

• Casper unpinned this topic