What i did in guns.

kawi kid

3 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Dress around the gun you are comfortable with, don't get a gun to go with your dress.I can conceal my G26 perfectly at 2 o'clock, in jeans and a tshirt. It does get a bit heavy and don't really want to use it for work, so for work I carry an LCP.Probably once funds are replenished I'll pick up a g43 and use that for summer carry at work and maybe get an ankle rig for the LCP to tuck under my jeans.

I'd like to try another Kahr but the 380 i had was such a piece of shit, literal piece of shit. every 5th round was a ftf. sent it back still same problem.sold it to some poor soul for what I paid for it...

i do have a recurring dream I'm in a gun fight and my LCP fails to go into battery and i have to slap the slide forward... but every time i've shot it, it works flawlessly.

Did you just advocate dressing around the gun you're comfortable and then describe the several guns you switch around based on what you're wearing so as to be comfortable? ;-)  Nothing wrong with that, just sounded odd after the soundbite.

Re: Kahrs; A lot of people have trouble with them and rightfully so, especially the 380.  Almost always it comes down to plastic mag followers that must to be smoothened out or replaced with an aluminum one, feed ramps to be honed and polished, and/or barrel hoods that must be fluted and polished.  My CM45 FTE'd about every 10-20 rounds and my CM9 nose-dove almost every round #2 or #3 until I applied those fixes and now they are dead reliable.  Wait, check that - my 45 is just as sensitive to limp wrists as every 1911 I've owned, but I blame me and the round, not the CM45.

To be fair, I haven't personally seen a Glock hiccup in 25 years of pistol shooting, and I do love my little LCP, which hasn't balked at range ammo or Critical Defense in over 500 rounds.

This past weekend I went to the gun show at the Franklin County Fairgrounds (Hilliard Ohio).  it's been a while since I went to this location - 10 years ago it was awesome and filled three buildings to the brim, but I think the Westland show took a lot of the vendors and it shrunk this one considerably.  Still, I was bored and didn't mind spending $6 on cheap entertainment.  It beats the going rate for hookers, cocaine and motorcycle parts, especially with Rider's Discount hanging out on the O.R. corner - that bastard sold me an awesome Zumo 390LM last month.

The show was still small especially compared to the always large and entertaining Dayton show, but I've seen in the past that if you're looking for something old, rare or off-beat, you're more likely to find it at little fairground shows like Hilliard than Westland, the latter of which seemed to trend more towards modern pistols and sporting rifles.  I've got nothing against modern stuff and own multiple items myself, but one gets tired of seeing them exclusively after a while.  There's more to life, man, like lever action guns and revolvers, ya know?

So, I almost picked up a late 60s Winchester 94 but couldn't bring myself to the guy's asking price.  It's not that the gun was priced high, it's just that it wasn't a killer deal and I didn't need the extra 30-30 caliber to care and feed at this time.  I recently bought a Rossi 94 in .44 and re-did the stock, smoothed the mechanicals and hand-made a leather butt pad and lever wrap, so maybe my thirst had already been sufficiently whet.

I did spot and score a blue $90 mini-griptillian folding knife I had almost ordered online days before, for $50(!) from a seller who must have just wanted to get his money back, and also picked up a CRKT Mirage for $25, which you just can't find any more but it has the sharpest damned semi-serrated blade of any mid-level knife I know except maybe the SOG Flash.  I've already "blueprinted" both of them with wet-dry on edges and oil in the pivots, and am really enjoying carry of both, especially the mini-grip.

Finally I spotted a Heritage Arms .22 revolver I read about but never seem to see in stores.  They're heavy, not at all the same quality of a Ruger or Smith, but should be perfect for introducing novice shooters and just plain having fun with a single action gun.  You know, everyone needs a single action revolver in their collection.  Here's the thing, I paid $170 OTD with a second .22 mag cylinder included.  Alas, .22 mag is impossible to find in stock right now, but that's a pretty smoking deal for a solid .22 plinker with cocobolo grips.

RR22MB4_1.jpg

11 hours ago, smccrory said:

Re: Kahrs; A lot of people have trouble with them and rightfully so, especially the 380.  Almost always it comes down to plastic mag followers that must to be smoothened out or replaced with an aluminum one, feed ramps to be honed and polished, and/or barrel hoods that must be fluted and polished.  My CM45 FTE'd about every 10-20 rounds and my CM9 nose-dove almost every round #2 or #3 until I applied those fixes and now they are dead reliable.  Wait, check that - my 45 is just as sensitive to limp wrists as every 1911 I've owned, but I blame me and the round, not the CM45.

To be fair, I haven't personally seen a Glock hiccup in 25 years of pistol shooting, and I do love my little LCP, which hasn't balked at range ammo or Critical Defense in over 500 rounds.

That doesn't match what I've seen at all.  I've had a CW9 and a CM9, both were dead reliable.  I have yet to fire my CW380, but the reviews I've read were positive.

I had a G42 that would FTE about 3 times per box of 50.  I really wanted to like the G42, but I couldn't trust it.

16 hours ago, smccrory said:

That's the problem IMHO with a G19.  Although some carry it fine, I think it's too big and I prefer a G26 for 10+1 round cold weather carry, and slot in a G19 magazine and spacer for 15+1 rounds of home defense.  That said, even the G26 is a little bulky for warm weather carry, and I prefer a CM9 or even an LCP when it's 80+ outside.  None of those are a joy to shoot all day at the range, but 100-200 rounds through each is easy peezy and are accurate enough for 7-10 yard engagements.

If I had to keep only one gun, it would be my G26 with HD night sights and both 10 and 15 round magazines, carried in a Nemesis pocket sleeve and a kydex PJ Holster IWB clip.

I probably would have kept the g26 if it was single stack LOL (hence me wanting a 43). I did like "the thought" of using my 33 round mag in my g26 though for the funnies. :D I'm not sure if those are legal to use yet. With that said I could still shoot the g26 all day, but I just prefer the g19. I love the 17 too, definitely cant carry that though.

48 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I probably would have kept the g26 if it was single stack LOL (hence me wanting a 43). I did like "the thought" of using my 33 round mag in my g26 though for the funnies. :D I'm not sure if those are legal to use yet. With that said I could still shoot the g26 all day, but I just prefer the g19. I love the 17 too, definitely cant carry that though.

I haven't kept up with any magazine capacity limit laws, because the largest mag I own is 25 rounds.

But I like the 33 round mag option, because I would be highly tempted to buy the mech-tech carbine conversion kit at some point.  

54 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I did like "the thought" of using my 33 round mag in my g26 though for the funnies. :D I'm not sure if those are legal to use yet.

A few states still have limits. But I believe the only one you could carry in is Colorado.  Theirs is 15. Rest are places where you are already screwed like NY and MD and California.

21 hours ago, smccrory said:

Did you just advocate dressing around the gun you're comfortable and then describe the several guns you switch around based on what you're wearing so as to be comfortable? ;-)  Nothing wrong with that, just sounded odd after the soundbite.

I have 2 guns I mainly carry the g26, which I just got a few weeks ago and the lcp. If I'm going somewhere I know I'm not suppose to carry I take the lcp because it disappears so easily. I also carry it when it hits about 90 degrees outside and I have to wear shorts at work. 

It it hasn't been 90 degrees yet since I've owned the g26 so I don't know if it's going to work or not.

by disappear I mean it removes with ease from 1 o'clock in a Galco deep concealment iwb, and I can set it in the glove box and lock it

i carry an lcp at work because of the mass amount of yotes around, and the occasional coon that gets trapped.

Edited by zx3vfr
Laws

9 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

31+ became legal in Ohio last year. Well they were always legal to own, but use of one turned your weapon into a "machine gun" lololololololololol 

• Upvote 1

Finally shot the G19 at lunch.  It's weird to load 15 rounds when you're used to loading 8 at a time.

I am recoil sensitive.  I feel like a pussy admitting that, but I flinch badly on my first shot.  I also grip too tightly, and try to "hold the gun down" rather than just letting the muzzle flip a bit.  Relaxing and letting the gun jump yielded my best groupings (after an initial shitty shot where I anticipate recoil).

I liked everything about the glock except the way the trigger guard digs into my middle-finger on my dominant hand.  I adjusted my grip to avoid this, and it actually improved my shooting, because I couldn't hold on so tightly.  Need more practice with it.  Better buy one :)

I want to shoot all of the guns.

A&A no longer allows trash shooting, but I think they still rent out the "sportsman" range for $200/day.  It's literally right around the corner from Nelson Ledges.  If any MotoSeries rounds survive the ownership change, I will see if we can't work out a time to shoot and then go watch some racing.  Maybe shoot saturday afternoon, camp/drink at the track on saturday, and watch Sunday races for a bit.

Participate in as much or as little of that as you like.  I only need 3 or 4 people to join me at the range for it to be worth the money.

On 2/18/2016 at 9:41 PM, smccrory said:

This past weekend I went to the gun show at the Franklin County Fairgrounds (Hilliard Ohio).  it's been a while since I went to this location - 10 years ago it was awesome and filled three buildings to the brim, but I think the Westland show took a lot of the vendors and it shrunk this one considerably.  Still, I was bored and didn't mind spending $6 on cheap entertainment.  It beats the going rate for hookers, cocaine and motorcycle parts, especially with Rider's Discount hanging out on the O.R. corner - that bastard sold me an awesome Zumo 390LM last month.

The show was still small especially compared to the always large and entertaining Dayton show, but I've seen in the past that if you're looking for something old, rare or off-beat, you're more likely to find it at little fairground shows like Hilliard than Westland, the latter of which seemed to trend more towards modern pistols and sporting rifles.  I've got nothing against modern stuff and own multiple items myself, but one gets tired of seeing them exclusively after a while.  There's more to life, man, like lever action guns and revolvers, ya know?

If you're ever around the Dayton show look for us. Our booth is Flores Leather Works. We haven't been to the Dayton show for a while but we will be there this weekend and next month. Its always good to see other OR peeps around.

I had an xd, I got as part of my commission for selling a vehicle for someone, well the buyer was coming in where the seller wanted to be and I asked the seller hey, you're still about $500 low, but.... If you got a gun or something, we can take it on trade. 

Ended up up selling it later to fund a Glock purchase, was just not a fan and don't think I ever even fired it 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Casper unpinned this topic