Another OR members Chevy Truck dyno results

DTM Brian

It was my truck that Brian did the dyno work on.

The base HP was right around 201 HP and 270 ish TQ. I was surprised that the base was that low, I would have figured 220 ish.

It's an 04 with the 5.3. As far as bolt-on's it has a Magnaflow Cat-back, and a cold air intake.

The truck for what it is, was okay as far as acceleration in around town speeds, and on the highway it was sluggish, and would feel labored. Being an automatic the shifting was slow. It did good pulling my boat, but I'm now curious as to how it will do afterwards.

After Brian went through and took away some of the torque management, upped the line pressure in the trans, took away the 98mph speed limiter and adjusted a few other things. The truck had a very different feeling, the throttle response was much better, shifts were a tighter / faster, off the line acceleration was nice. On the highway back home accelerating from 75 to 95 was faster, and even holding highway speeds seemed easier for it.

All in all I'm very happy with the truck and Brian's work. I'm pretty particular as Brian can probably attest with all the questions I was texting him. He answered everything I texted and then asked at the shop and took the time to explain what he was doing. You can't go wrong with a guy that doesn't mind you looking over his shoulder or asking questions.

Thanks again Brian.

Pic of truck

115.jpg

Baseline numbers on this truck was just over 200. Actual stock numbers should be around 220-230. The problem is the stock rev limiter keeps us from taking it over 4000 rpm's which is about 98 mph.

Dyno numbers only tell half the story in regards to how these trucks perform after the tune. Dyno numbers come from geting the the a/f ratios and timing dialed in. Other changes that dyno numbers do not show to improve mileage and performance include:

Torque Managment Changes - Both Engine and Transmission Parameters.

Electronic Throttle Control - Amount of desired throttle based on current calculated engine torque.

Power Enrichment rates

Transmission Line Pressure

Transmission Shift Times

Timing Retard during shifts.

The list goes on and on.

If you are still skeptical about what a dyno tune can do for your car and/or truck. I suggest you PM Mr. Bowman and Mr. Ruhl. Both of them noticed significant changes to their trucks after the tune. I promise that your hard earned money is well spent in letting me tune both LS and Vortech powered GM vehicles.

If only a proper tune could be done to my ecoboost. I would really like to see the numbers that one could get out of this thing. I know bullydog has a "tuner" out but it is supposedly pretty shitty. My warranty is already almost half up so a new intake, exhaust, and hopefully a good tune once it's up.

If only a proper tune could be done to my ecoboost. I would really like to see the numbers that one could get out of this thing. I know bullydog has a "tuner" out but it is supposedly pretty shitty. My warranty is already almost half up so a new intake, exhaust, and hopefully a good tune once it's up.

FYI bolt ones technically don't void a warranty.... Granted dealerships can be a total DB about them. If they are you can always swap back to original.

2 cases, I had my F150 strip 7 out of 8 spark plugs with Fords brilliant design, all while a CAI and exhaust was on there, and they did a full head job and the warranty covered 50%, Ricart paid 10%, and I paid 50%. 2nd case, my F250, actually in this case the truck is way more heavily modified, CAI, full exhaust, tunes, gauges, full lift kit, etc. Took it in to get looked at and had 5 of 8 injectors bad on my 6.0 Replaced the 5 at a costs of 100 out of pocket to me, and that was when it was tuned and everything.

Now, that said, when I do need to take it to Ricart I try to untune it but sometimes I just forget.

Now, that said, when I do need to take it to Ricart I try to untune it but sometimes I just forget.

Ford has techs pulling certain codes & lines from the ecu and sending it to them if an ecoboost comes in with motor issues. They can apparently detect whether and code has been modified whether it was changed back or not. There was a guy with a Taurus SHO that melted a piston with a bad tune and tried to get it fixed under warranty.