Electric R6 Build

Nuts&Volts

^^^^^ cool vid and bike...

Whenever my R6 is up an running I would be more than happy to let people take it for a spin. The experience so much different than anything you've ever ridden, I guarantee it :cool:

I might take you up on that - keep in touch and let me know how your doing... :cool:

Edited by mello dude

Haha nah no need for water. Batteries are 90-95% recyclable and solar energy is in excess everywhere. I could spend $12k for an El Moto and $2k for a solar array to charge it and I would have near zero emissions and near zero transportation costs for 10-15 years. Solar array is on my to do list once I finish school.

I mean I guess water is easily accessible, but this would negatively effect the world because fresh water is somewhat scarce. Sorry I realize you were joking, but I like to talk or rather type haha

And most definitely on the ride. I am planning to have this guy out at the Wilmington ECTA w/ another OSU electric motorcycle this April 27-29.

Haha nah no need for water. Batteries are 90-95% recyclable and solar energy is in excess everywhere. I could spend $12k for an El Moto and $2k for a solar array to charge it and I would have near zero emissions and near zero transportation costs for 10-15 years. Solar array is on my to do list once I finish school.

I mean I guess water is easily accessible, but this would negatively effect the world because fresh water is somewhat scarce. Sorry I realize you were joking, but I like to talk or rather type haha

And most definitely on the ride. I am planning to have this guy out at the Wilmington ECTA w/ another OSU electric motorcycle this April 27-29.

I'm not apposed to the electric bike idea. after all if you don't at least do it you'll never know what the negatives are about it. and some good can come from it I'm sure.

but I used to use the cordless tools at work but I soon went back to the corded tools after I delt with expensive replacement batteries. it's not worth it in the long run to use cordless tools.

I can't see an electric vehicle doing any better in the long run than just using a internal combustion engine with an alt fuel other than gasoline or diesel. the batteries are going to run dead way too often. hell look how many people have dead batteries in their cars now that don't use the battery for anything other than starting it.

and they're mostly at $100 now. even 12 years ago an expensive battery was $70. now $100+ is the norm. I can't fathom a whole bank of batteries it takes to power a car isn't going to cost you the equivelent of a new car. I can see how the car companies would like this idea. everyone's going to need a new car in 4-5 years whent the $10k batteries are dead.

the one good thing i can think of with an electric car is no need for all the over complicated sensors and computer systems to run the internal combustion engine.

so working on an electric car would be as easy as using a multimeter and some wrenches.

Edited by serpentracer

I'm not apposed to the electric bike idea. after all if you don't at least do it you'll never know what the negatives are about it. and some good can come from it I'm sure.

but I used to use the cordless tools at work but I soon went back to the corded tools after I delt with expensive replacement batteries. it's not worth it in the long run to use cordless tools.

I can't see an electric vehicle doing any better in the long run than just using a internal combustion engine with an alt fuel other than gasoline or diesel. the batteries are going to run dead way too often. hell look how many people have dead batteries in their cars now that don't use the battery for anything other than starting it.

and they're mostly at $100 now. even 12 years ago an expensive battery was $70. now $100+ is the norm. I can't fathom a whole bank of batteries it takes to power a car isn't going to cost you the equivelent of a new car. I can see how the car companies would like this idea. everyone's going to need a new car in 4-5 years whent the $10k batteries are dead.

the one good thing i can think of with an electric car is no need for all the over complicated sensors and computer systems to run the internal combustion engine.

so working on an electric car would be as easy as using a multimeter and some wrenches.

You hit the nail on the head, battery cost is the major issue right now. However this is simply an economics of scale issue (once you start making thousands the cost drop). The early adopters just have to take the cost hit for the other benefits.

I will run through a scenario here. Some new batteries like the that in the Zero bikes I linked will lose only 20% of their capacity at ~3000 cycles. On my bike that is 300,000 miles and i can still go 50-80 miles on a charge or use it as a battery back-up system for my home for another 30 years or so. I image your ICE will become more than 20% less efficient over that mileage, if it will even last that many miles. That is also 70-100 oil changes that I wouldn't have to do. Food for thought...

Right now no electrics are a hard sell to everyone, but in 5-8 years I believe their will be a battery solution that makes an EV that sparks you're interest because of the range, performance, and cost. I guess I'm a dreamer :D

The current federal mandate will be pushing the corporate fuel average to something like 54 miles per gallon by 2024. Jeez right now a lot of bikes dont do that well. So its kinda of a force on industry to develop better ICE for fuel economy and then they get a incentive credit for producing electric vehicles.

The current federal mandate will be pushing the corporate fuel average to something like 54 miles per gallon by 2024. Jeez right now a lot of bikes dont do that well. So its kinda of a force on industry to develop better ICE for fuel economy and then they get a incentive credit for producing electric vehicles.

the Z06 corvette with 550 hp still gets better gas mileage than a suv with a v8. (no gas guzzler tax)

aerodynamics play a huge role in a cars fuel mileage. the gov is fucking dreaming if they think every car/truck/suv can get 54. ain't going to happen going downhill and with the wind.

even toyota was sued by a lady over their fuel mileage claims on her hybrid. it only gets about 28mpg or something like that.

Edited by serpentracer

the gov is fucking dreaming if they think every car/truck/suv can get 54.

Totally agree - that's why the current administration stuck out such a wild ass number. I dont know the particular details, but it goes something like, each EV that gets sold, gets credit for something like 100mpg. So for auto manufacturers, the more normal corporate fleet sale average of around 30mph will average up to the target 54 with the addition of 100mph EV credits in a hurry. So they will work there asses off to come up with viable EVs to meet the ave to be allowed to sell vehicles.

See, - a government force feed to industry. -- That is unless a Republican POTUS recinds the whole deal, which may be possible.

Yea 54mpg will mean that electrics will have to be made, OR the car companies will start saving up to just pay the fine when they don't meet the requirements. Mercedes does this for the current CARB requirements

For reference my motorcycle has got about 416mpg equivalent (or 88wh/mile) on 55mph roads (48mph average speed recorded) around Mid-Ohio. I achieved between 400 and 440mpge in city commuting.

It looks like you've thought this through more than I initially gave you credit for. Nice job.

Regarding the COG though, I wouldn't necessarily shoot for such a bias that low, if you can avoid it.

Low COG makes a heavy bike easy to pick up if it's laying on its side, but it can make turn-in feel really weird too. Your cad drawings also look as though the battery cells will result in a serious weigh bias toward the front.

That will require some suspension tweaking up front, but could also result in a bike that's prone to stoppie rather than stop.

Rome wasn't built in a day, just things to consider. If you can spread out the battery cells, that would really help you tune handling gremlins.

Alright after some reading it appears that you are right. I need the weight more centralized. I will see what I can do to move a little weight around.

Source -http://www2.2wf.com/index.php/racers-row-menu/chicken-hawk-racing-menu/178-losing-weight-on-your-motorcycle

Edit - another post about having a lower center of gravity. It appears that it will let you turn quicker with a smaller lean angle. So centralize the weight low, I think I have kind of down that. I'll keep reading up

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-56428.html

Edited by Nuts&Volts

Lol I think his name is anthony? I'm friends with a guy named

Robby. He knows a guy that's one osu's electric build.

I figured that is who you were talking about. He rides a gsxr750, 06 or 07 I think. He's a good guy so I suppose I can let you ride mine if you promise to treat her nice.

Define "NICE" :D

Well I'll put it this way she doesnt know very many tricks and I think it best to keep it that way for now. Be easy on her ;)

Someday, I'll be able to throw some serious money at her and she'll be fixed up with enough of the good stuff to really be worth your time

I have been finding a little bit of time between classes, work and the OSU team to work on the R6 design.

Here is where I am at now. I have 3 strings of 42 cells long which makes packaging straightforward. I moved the bottom pack (which also moved all batteries) up ~1.5" to try to better centralize mass which, from some research, appears to be better than all the weight down low. This may also allow me to better fit a stock lower fairing.

newCAD1.png

newCAD2.png

The wheel clearance of 2" in the front is a little bit of a concern, but I believe I should be ok for most riding. It will just make contact if I bottom the forks out with 4.7in of travel depending on some pack design (trying to get another 0.5" of clearance). If this becomes a problem I will mod the swingarm like Ripperton'sl R1, to push the motor back 1-3" and the batteries can move back too. The lower pack will bolt into the motor mount, the original engine mounts and the top battery. The top pack will have two stack of 42 cells and will attached to the upper portion of the motor mount, the original engine mounts on the sides of the machine and maybe somewhere upfront on the frame.

Motor mount is also done, but don't have any pictures yet. I am hoping to practice some welding this weekend along with cutting the rest of the metal for the battery boxes. Working on a wiring diagram this week while I am awhile from the bike.

newCAD3.png

didn't know if this might give you some ideas/help:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-ELECTRIC-MOTORCYCLE/

Thanks for the link! I've seen some pictures that build and I think a friend of mine meet the guy behind the project.

sign me up...

best of luck with your build...

Definitely!

At this point I plan to bring the bike to the Ohio Mile in April (27-29) and probably vintage days at Mid-Ohio this summer. And maybe some bike nights or rides here and there.

• 9 years later...
On 2/17/2012 at 9:19 PM, Nuts&Volts said:

Thanks for the link! I've seen some pictures that build and I think a friend of mine meet the guy behind the project.

Definitely!

At this point I plan to bring the bike to the Ohio Mile in April (27-29) and probably vintage days at Mid-Ohio this summer. And maybe some bike nights or rides here and there.

I seem to be rather late to this party. What’s the status on this build?

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Mic PO said:

I seem to be rather late to this party. What’s the status on this build?

was shut down by DHS. keep an eye on new images from the mars rover, you may get a glimpse of the completed project.