Tire mount & balance pricing

Hoblick

Ok. so why isn't durk having issues without balancing, and why are the rest of us that just do a crappy balance instead of a good high speed balance not having problems?  Honest question, do either of those things to a car tire and it would vibrate like crazy.

I check the rim balance after dismount and before new tire goes on.  Mark the heavy spot and place the dot at my mark. This results in much less weight to balance after tire is mounted.  The valve stem is almost never the heavy spot on the rim, as the metal removed for the stem hole is heavier than the valve stem that replaces it.  Many tires do not come with a light spot marked anymore... Michelin comes to mind.

Just now, whaler said:

I check the rim balance after dismount and before new tire goes on.  Mark the heavy spot and place the dot at my mark. This results in much less weight to balance after tire is mounted.  The valve stem is almost never the heavy spot on the rim, as the metal removed for the stem hole is heavier than the valve stem that replaces it.  Many tires do not come with a light spot marked anymore... Michelin comes to mind.

Do you remove the rotor(s) to get the wheel on your tire machine? I wonder if that may effect the balance as well. My machine requires remove of the rotor for the bottom side.

3 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Do you remove the rotor(s) to get the wheel on your tire machine? I wonder if that may effect the balance as well. My machine requires remove of the rotor for the bottom side.

No, rotors stay on and most factory service manuals require the rotors for proper balance.  I have a No-Mar static balancer.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, whaler said:

No, rotors stay on and most factory service manuals require the rotors for proper balance.  I have a No-Mar static balancer.

Ok, see I have to remove one rotor to clear the arms on my machine (Derek Weaver W-894XS) then re-install rotor before balancing.

34 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Static balance is how it's done at the race track by the Michelin man. :dunno: 

Yep, everyone does it that way. Clearly it works fine, but makes no f'ing sense. It will have to remain one of life's mysteries.

15 hours ago, durk said:

Are you balancing your wheels too? 

Yes.  Put the axle in & support in v-grooved plywood stand. (Do this with the rotor(s) on & the grit seals removed.) Spin the wheel & see where it stops.  Temporarily attach weight(s) with painters tape. Spin & repeat as necessary until the wheel stops at random points.  I use about a dozen small pieces of painters tape to mark the high point where the wheel stops.  When I'm done the pieces of tape are randomly positioned at points all around the wheel. Permanently attach the wheel weights in the same positions they are taped on.  I have tested this method to 180 mph without problems.   Then, you could just use Dyna Beads.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Yep, everyone does it that way. Clearly it works fine, but makes no f'ing sense. It will have to remain one of life's mysteries.

Have seen many motorcycle tires balanced on a dynamic machine give vibration at high speed, remove weight and balance on a static balancer and the vibration is gone.  Not sure why?

• Upvote 1

OK I just checked back in on this and wow. A lot of different ideas out there. To be honest last set of tires I put on were pilot road 2s( no dots marked). I just slapped them on and rode. I ran them up to 172mph on route 11 I never noticed anything. I had read a time or two where people were not balancing there tires on bikes and said it was not a problem. Maybe I have been lucky so far. Time will tell as I am mounting a set of Q3s on my bike today. Watch I'll take it out and the bars will vibrate out of my hands. Hopefully I beat the snow and can give it a test run today. I'll report back. Thanks for the ideas if I have issues. Like the plywood idea @jschaf

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Ok. so why isn't durk having issues without balancing, and why are the rest of us that just do a crappy balance instead of a good high speed balance not having problems?  Honest question, do either of those things to a car tire and it would vibrate like crazy.

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I can't explain the no balance scenario. Been there. Done that. Did not like. 

Single sided mount vs dual sided and or bearing tolerances.

So far on my DRZ I have not balanced the new tires. Just lined up the dot with the valve stem and that's it.

However I'm on a thumper, so plenty of vibes from the engine and I doubt I could hit triple digits without a steep hill. :D

I'll probably pick up a harbor frieght balancer given the cost. The other brands I have seen seemed way over priced for what they provided.

Craig

I did not get out on Saturday because by time I finished mounting both tires it was snowing up here in no mans land. I did take a quick ride after work today and everything seemed fine to me, even at triple digits.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 6:40 PM, 2talltim said:

If Ryan can't help you there is a guy just north of Fredericktown I can give you the info for. He charges $15 per wheel off the bike (just taking the wheels to him)

2talltim I didn't see your reply, sorry.  If you're still around, I've got new tires on finally, interested in that guy around Fredericktown. 

5 hours ago, Katsalsa said:

2talltim I didn't see your reply, sorry.  If you're still around, I've got new tires on finally, interested in that guy around Fredericktown. 

His name is Mike Schumacher his business is call Works technology. He used to work for mid ohio in Mount Vernon but opened up his own repair shop at his house. Adress is Bellville but he's closer to Fredericktown. I usually just stop with by with my wheels and tires and he stops what he's doing and takes care of me but it would be best to call first and ask if he able to do that plus he keeps different hours on different days. Cash is preferred. He also will do other repairs and will do tires and stuff on the bike for more money obviously but his prices can't be beat.

1394 Bangorville Rd, Bellville, OH 44813

(419) 886-2692

Edited by 2talltim

I'm still using the dealer for the rear tires.  Why?  My last 3 bikes have been Single sided swingarm/hubless rims (VFRs and BMW shaft drive).   Makes it very difficult to balance without proper tools.

30 minutes ago, Qman said:

I'm still using the dealer for the rear tires.  Why?  My last 3 bikes have been Single sided swingarm/hubless rims (VFRs and BMW shaft drive).   Makes it very difficult to balance without proper tools.

Make a small investment and you will save yourself in the long run.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-62317.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html