Tire mount & balance pricing

Hoblick

On 3/11/2017 at 9:15 AM, TwiztedRabbit said:

my trick with stiff tires and well all tires now when getting on and off is  a tire warmer... toss the  rim tire combo on a warmer.. and the replacement on a warmer for 10ish minutes  pop off and on...

dunlops are still the "hardest" followed by Pirelli fronts then easiest all around in Michelin...

of course it is to be noted that I'm mostly doing race tires at the track

the few ST tires I have done for friends I use the same technique and it has helped immensely

After my last rear tire change a week ago. I wish I owned a set of warmers just for changing tires. It was quite the struggle spooning off that Dunlop rear. I did take everything into my basement to try to get things warmer than the 50 degree temps outside. I wasn’t sure I was ever going to get the thing off. I eventually got the job done after probably 45 minutes of fighting the stupid thing. 

16 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

Gentlemen use your Shelter in place stimulus money and get a No-Mar. I hate to see everyone in pain.😁

I so want to do this, but I don't really have a place to store it. I have some tires that need to go on the bike now and I really don't want to pay more than $50 to get them put on. Tough spending money when your not working 

Edited by Muckles
Spelling

12 minutes ago, Muckles said:

I really don't want to pay more than $50 to get them put on.

I think Sills Honda can come close to that. I just had 2 done, it was around there.

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

Sills is $20? I was quoted more than that when I took my GS wheel to them.. and that is where I bought the bike. I believe she quoted me $35. 

They could have raised prices, but I've probably had them change 20 tires and it's always been $25 off the bike.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

They could have raised prices, but I've probably had them change 20 tires and it's always been $25 off the bike.

Maybe a spoke up charge, too. I had not considered, but I don't see how it would be any different. The rim is cast, just like a regular solid aluminum wheel. Still a decent price at $35. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, durk said:

After my last rear tire change a week ago. I wish I owned a set of warmers just for changing tires. It was quite the struggle spooning off that Dunlop rear. I did take everything into my basement to try to get things warmer than the 50 degree temps outside. I wasn’t sure I was ever going to get the thing off. I eventually got the job done after probably 45 minutes of fighting the stupid thing. 

heat is everything for pliability ,  that and my  no mar  with  the right equipment 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

heat is everything for pliability ,  that and my  no mar  with  the right equipment 

This is the second time I’ve changed a tire when it was cold. Both times have sucked, but when it’s warm I’d rather be riding.

Right tools

I have motion pro spoons, but not a no mar. The sad part is the hillbilly stuff with the truck hitch, 2x4, and deck board break the bead fairly easy. It’s the spooning off a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 that sucks. 

3 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Gentlemen use your Shelter in place stimulus money and get a No-Mar. I hate to see everyone in pain.😁

I’m too cheap. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, durk said:

This is the second time I’ve changed a tire when it was cold. Both times have sucked, but when it’s warm I’d rather be riding.

Right tools

I have motion pro spoons, but not a no mar. The sad part is the hillbilly stuff with the truck hitch, 2x4, and deck board break the bead fairly easy. It’s the spooning off a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 that sucks. 

what are you doing what them afterwards? I've sawed through the tread so you are only stretching the bead and not the sidewall. Is it really hillbilly until you are using a hammer?

3 hours ago, motocat12 said:

what are you doing what them afterwards? I've sawed through the tread so you are only stretching the bead and not the sidewall. Is it really hillbilly until you are using a hammer?

I did have to use a hammer and screwdriver at 1 point because my spoon was so stuck. :lol:

After I break the bead I spoon the 1 side off. That usually goes pretty decent. It’s spooning the 2nd bead off that has caused some issues  

What are you cutting your tire with. I’ve tried cutting tires before and they are tuff. It was a car tire. 

8 hours ago, durk said:

What are you cutting your tire with. I’ve tried cutting tires before and they are tuff. It was a car tire. 

Lately I've been cutting them in quarters with my Dewalt chop saw cutting wheel and tossing them out in the trash. Local place that used to take them to for $1 each told me last time it's now $6 each. Fuck them, fuck the environment and fuck the baby seals. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Damn sounds like mid-ohio in Mt Vernon really reamed me out, was $202 to mount and balance my tires, didn't buy them there, but similar pricing at all the shops around me I called. 

1 minute ago, Jared said:

Damn sounds like mid-ohio in Mt Vernon really reamed me out, was $202 to mount and balance my tires, didn't buy them there, but similar pricing at all the shops around me I called. 

If they were on the bike that is a good price. If off the bike you took it up the ass.

6 hours ago, Jared said:

Why didn't you ask me? I thought I told you I can do tires? Maybe I didn't? I've mounted tires for 6 different vome in theist month alone.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Why didn't you ask me? I thought I told you I can do tires? Maybe I didn't? I've mounted tires for 6 different vome in theist month alone.

Yeah I didn't forget, I had mine done earlier this year before you told me. Was just looking at the prices some people can do it for on here, I'll know for next time for sure. They were on the bike @Tonik

4 hours ago, Jared said:

Yeah I didn't forget, I had mine done earlier this year before you told me. Was just looking at the prices some people can do it for on here, I'll know for next time for sure. They were on the bike @Tonik

Gotcha!