Rc51 turns but wont start. please help.

cOoTeR

So I got the rc51 ready to start. I drained the old gas wired the ignition back up installed a battery and put a little bit of fuel in it. I turned the key but didn't hear the fuel pump prime, I hit the starter button and it turned but never fired. Is there a place to start looking for issues without pulling the pump out such as fuses or what not? The bike sat for 3 years before I got it. Do you think putting some seafoam in the tank would help? How would I know if the bikes throwing a code?

I'd be checking for fuel flow if you can't hear the pump. Injected, right?

Check the electrical connections as close to the pump as you can get. If you can see the wires headed in to the tank then maybe even use a needle to poke into the insulation on the hot wire and use a multimeter to check for voltage.

If no power then then check fuses and see if there is a relay.

You could always try to start it on starting fluid.

if you're sure your battery is good, fog the air box with starting fluid, that'll let you know if it's spark or fuel flow...

if it fires, you have a fuel flow problem, and it's probably time to pull the fuel tank and investigate the fuel pump, if it still doesn't fire, check the ignition system...

There will be fuses somewhere, couldn't tell you on the RC. I know some of the hondas will crank and not start if the kill switch is turned off on the bars, not sure if the RC is one of them.

definitely check the fuses. I don't know if its a common issue on Honda's but my 05 CBR blew the fuse to the fuel pump 3x in the year i owned it

I had the pump out once it looked ok but I don't know how to check them. Is there anything to look for or how do I check it once I get it out. Can I spray the starting fluid into the intake or does it need to be behind the filters?

There will be fuses somewhere, couldn't tell you on the RC. I know some of the hondas will crank and not start if the kill switch is turned off on the bars, not sure if the RC is one of them.

Yeah the switch is in the right position unless its bad its not this. On my 07 cbr I could here the pump prime when I turned the ignition on. This bike should be the same right?

It has two relays one is a tip over switch second is the fuel pump both in the tail. You can take the relay off the headlights left front fairing and exchange them. You should hear the fuel pump charge when the key is on. They have issues with the relays. second thing is to check the wires that go to the fuel pump. They have been known to pinch between the tank and the frame.

I wouldn't bother with starter fluid. If the pump isn't priming its not going to start. They will run even with shit gas. lol

Edited by c7fx

I wouldn't bother with starter fluid. If the pump isn't priming its not going to start.

it will run until it burns off the starting fluid (a few seconds)...assuming it's a fuel delivery problem, not an ignition problem, or a major compression problem.

it will run until it burns off the starting fluid (a few seconds)...assuming it's a fuel delivery problem, not an ignition problem, or a major compression problem.

your right but we already know the fuel pump isn't priming thats the issue

Fuses are on the left side near the lower fairing mount. You can check them there. I would also check your wire connections from the battery back to the tip sensors (on either side of the subframe back near the turn signal mounts) and over to the ECU. 51s are notorious for having loose connectors. When I get home tonight, I can send you some schematics for the fuel and electrical systems. I've spent plenty of time (ask r1crusher) chasing loose trons on my RC. I'd do all that before you go pulling the tank and yanking the fuel pump.

picture.php?albumid=1397&pictureid=15154&thumb=1

I was looking at the wiring and found this connected to nothing I can't find another connector for it.

picture.php?albumid=1397&pictureid=15153&thumb=1

I checked these (im assuming are the tilt sensors). I used one of the current testers that looks similar to an ice pick that lights up when there is a current. 3 of the 4 wires had current. Should all 4? Also I can hear a clicking noise coming from the relays.

I also checked the connection under the seat that goes to the fuel pump. Only one wire had a current.

You should definitely hear the pump prime when turning it on and disabling the "kill switch".

Things to check if you're not hearing that:

1. Battery connections

2. ECU Connectors

3. Fuses

4. Relays

5. (and this is a lesson that I learned the hard way) Power Commander and cables. There was literally a wire running from the PC to the neg. terminal of my battery. At some point (while riding) that same wire wound up touching the pos. terminal and the spark eventually burned through the wire. Bike would no longer start (pump wouldn't prime). Soldered the wire, re-insulated it, and I've been good to go since.

Also, prop the tank, and check the wires running to the pump. Luckily, they are accessible without having to drain the tank and remove the pump. If removing the pump, it may not be a bad idea to clean/replace your fuel filter.

picture.php?albumid=1397&pictureid=15154&thumb=1

I was looking at the wiring and found this connected to nothing I can't find another connector for it.

picture.php?albumid=1397&pictureid=15153&thumb=1

I checked these (im assuming are the tilt sensors). I used one of the current testers that looks similar to an ice pick that lights up when there is a current. 3 of the 4 wires had current. Should all 4? Also I can hear a clicking noise coming from the relays.

I also checked the connection under the seat that goes to the fuel pump. Only one wire had a current.

First picture is the service port. Take a jump wire and you will get the codes on your gauges. Sorry Don't have my manual but the FI light blinks for what code it is.

The relays on the back are what I was talking about. You have the same relay up front for the headlights. Best thing to do is replace the headlight relay with each relay and test. My money is on the right one if its the relay

I put the headlight relay on the one on the right (throttle side) but the connectors on the headlight relay were very dirty so I'm not to sure if its in working condition. Although I don't have the headlights on the relay had current. There was no change with the headlight relay on the right one and I hadn't tried the left relay. Also I can hear the relays clicking when the ignition is turned on, are they supposed to do that?

Things to check if you're not hearing that:

1. Battery connections-good

2. ECU Connectors-good / in all the way

3. Fuses- checked the ones on the side by the fairing mounts are there any others to check?

4. Relays- How can I check these other than switching them with another?

5. PC- Don't have one.

Also, prop the tank, and check the wires running to the pump. Luckily, they are accessible without having to drain the tank and remove the pump. If removing the pump, it may not be a bad idea to clean/replace your fuel filter. - I'll have to try that.

after you check all that everyone else suggested, try checking the pump with a volt meter with the key on if your not getting power there, trace the wires back to the next point and check it there, and then keep going.

i hate electrical problems