Work Boots - Who likes what?

max power

Yeah, I have been dealing with the Reynoldsburg store for about 7 years now. They are ordering in a few models that I want to check out.

I just want to exhaust all options as I am growing more and more unimpressed with RedWing quality. Their service at the Main st store is still top notch. Too bad every competing brand I have tried on so far is so much less comfortable.

And no store in central ohio carries the full line of any brand. Most only carry 1 or 2 models of each brand. Weak.

I miss Workforce Outfitters! I bought a couple pair of Carolina's there! They had a pretty good selection of every brand they carried. The only thing I know of that MAY be anything like that (I haven't been there yet) is Safety Solutions, up in Dublin. From what I know of them, they're more of a distributor than a retailer though, so the prices/selection may not be all that good.

EDIT:

Cintas also has a truck that comes around from time to time selling boots, and other workwear. If your company uses them for uniforms, etc. you might ask them about this.

Edited by jporter12

I miss Workforce Outfitters! I bought a couple pair of Carolina's there! They had a pretty good selection of every brand they carried. The only thing I know of that MAY be anything like that (I haven't been there yet) is Safety Solutions, up in Dublin. From what I know of them, they're more of a distributor than a retailer though, so the prices/selection may not be all that good.

Yeah, that place was nice. I think they suffered from shittylocationitis.

EDIT:

Cintas also has a truck that comes around from time to time selling boots, and other workwear. If your company uses them for uniforms, etc. you might ask them about this.

I work for a billion dollar conglomo and can't even get them to provide me with t-shirts.

I have 2 pairs of Rockies-insulated and waterproof, one I keep put up just for deer season, and the other pair is what I use for general stuff out in the stuff. Those I used for working out in sub zerro temps and in whatever kind of weather came along. Both pairs were USA made (so they're old as the hills). During gun season the hunting pair had the rubber on the sole crumble and fall off. Yesterday I pulled my work pair out and they did the same thing!

Unreal....so been looking on http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx?, seems they have some good prices.

Ended up getting a pair of RedWing 420's.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/420-red-wing-shoes/420-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

They have a Vibram sole and are comfortable, so, I'm giving them a try.

Couldnt find a comfortable 'umerican made pair and, in the end, its all about comfort. Im not walking around in foot pain just to be patriotic.

Walking hundreds, thousands of miles. I have grown accustom to USMC issued boots. I'm stuck on our new RAT boots. Made with gortex Kevlar... Good stuff, holds up well.

QFT!

I wear the jungle boots. I have sweaty feet, and the RAT boots i have are the old style with absolutely no ventilation.

im looking for a pair of navy steel toe altamas or belleville's.

• Upvote 1

After all the help...you go and buy a piece of shit boot...

Don't come to us when they fall apart.

IF I can get 2 years out of them, I'll be happy. If not, :dunno:

I researched the hell out of this purchase. There were a few must have features in the original post that went largely ignored in the advice I was receiving, but I expected that.

Everyone has their preferences: comfort, light weight and Vibram soles were my most important ones. I tried on alot of competitor boots and the Red Wings were by far the most comfortable.

I was also limited to $160 by my company. They sold me these for $159. $300 boots are out of the question.

Railroad would buy us a new pair of workboots every year, up to $140. My first pair as a conductor was Redwings. Bustin' the ground on the r/r is hard on work boots, with all the ballast & multi ton eqpmt you're climbin' around on... I still have that first pair to this day. Redwing store has always been a pleasure to deal with... Top notch customer service. Bought several pairs of loggers after I got my engineer card... Still have those as well

Got to agree with everyone saying Timberland Pros too... Those things are like pillows on my feet! SO comfortable... Like a pair of tennis shoes!

HATE Wolverines! Had a pair of them that tore my feet up before I even hit the ground :nono:

I just took the plunge and bought my first pair of Red Wing's. I opted for the made in the USA pair, over the almost $35 cheaper made in china pair that had the Vibram sole that Max Power was talking about. That Vibram sole did look better, and may have been a touch more comfortable right out of the box, but made in USA was a factor, and these just look better.

suckers. my timberland pro were cheaper and still more comfortable and durable.

Negative...except for the cheaper part...

I've had 2 pairs of the Timberlands, and both fell apart in a few months.

Compare that to spending twice as much for my 6yr old Red Wings that are worn every day and tell me where the value is.

Negative...except for the cheaper part...

I've had 2 pairs of the Timberlands, and both fell apart in a few months.

Compare that to spending twice as much for my 6yr old Red Wings that are worn every day and tell me where the value is.

ive owned redwing and wont go back ever...my first pair of $105 timberlands lasted me 6 years...now i have two pair and neither have any signs of wear, even after 2yrs

suckers. my timberland pro were cheaper and still more comfortable and durable.

I've tried them in the past, and they didn't have anywhere near the comfort I was looking for. Although what is comfortable for my feet may be different than your's, see below.

I guess that's why more than one type of boot is made...to each their own.

:plus1:

I also found out that either Red Wings fit totally different than the other shoes and boots I've had in the past, or my feet have grown. The Carolina's that they replaced were 9 1/2M, and the new boots are 11D, and they fit about the same. :dunno:

• 5 years later...

Selecting a comfortable work boot can be a difficult process.  You have to take into consideration certain safety features, such as slip resistance, shock resistance, steel toe vs. composite toe, waterproof, and insulation.  Now I have Tımberland Pro Men's Endurance . It has durable features such as a safety-toe, non-slip rubber outer sole, plus, anti-fatigue technology make these work boots stand up to just about anything.  Not only are they comfortable and great for those with back and knee problems, the 8” shaft offers substantial support for your ankles.  However, I would suggest selecting half a size larger than your average shoe size, as they tend to run small

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

LOL, I spotted that one, but let it go.  @2talltim is actually our best spammer spotter. Well, until now.

Justin and I were texting each other about this post yesterday morning. I think it's a spammer but has not shown thier hand yet. The link they posted isn't spammy yet. Or is it? I was watching them for more post. 

Edited by 2talltim