Winter tire options for Subaru Legacy

scottb

this

although i disagree on "doesnt matter what you drive"....trucks do fine with AT tires year round...the weight plays a huge role

All Terrain tires are more aggressive than All Season tires. I could see where a 4x4 with AT would be ok in the winter, But remember that they are Loud on dry pavement.

I went with the Pirelli P6 all season they rock in the snow. and are good for around 50k miles. I ran a set on my old gti I had made a huge difference.

Doing this is all you need to do, I will "never" buy separate tires and rims for my Subaru. Do your homework, there are excellent all season high performance tires out there.

Doing this is all you need to do, I will "never" buy separate tires and rims for my Subaru. Do your homework, there are excellent all season high performance tires out there.

No.

No there isn't.

Not even close!

Until you've driven a Subaru with a proper winter tire, you cannot even begin to imagine the difference.

I know this from first hand experience...trust me.

you're closer than I thought, mike...

But there have been nights I was afraid I would get stuck out here riding my snowmobile... no way I'm taking a family car with blizzaks out on a night like that, especially down roads like allen-comp, russel, guest...

Well, this kind of addresses my point of mentioning I was a plow guy. Reason being no matter what the sky decided to drop on us I had to get to work, no excuses. If I couldn't get to my truck I would be fired and never had I not been able to go do my job. Like most everything else it's has a lot to do with the driver. I used to love driving in the snow to the extent I couldn't sleep if I knew I would need to plow.

With my Subaru L wagon on the other hand I was driving from Mentor to North Bloomfield (46 miles one way) Mon-Fri for two years and never had any issues getting to work all the way thru the whole stinking snow belt. Awd is a wonderful thing. Maybe next year I'll throw some snow tires on there and put it to the test. Although I will miss the 4 wheel drifting I have become accustomed to with my all seasons. ;)

All Terrain tires are more aggressive than All Season tires. I could see where a 4x4 with AT would be ok in the winter, But remember that they are Loud on dry pavement.

youre right - i wasnt even thinking about it, was mixing up AT tires with AS tires...ive been pricing AT tires for my truck like whats on it now and just got mixed up lol

my AT tires arent too loud, but my exhaust kinda is so maybe it drowns them out...and ill get about 50k outta this set of cheapo tires so not bad

and yea, my truck does great in the snow with ATs, even in 2wd...only time i need 4x4 is when im in deep snow going up a hill or actually off road where im on grass and stuff under the snow

No.

No there isn't.

Not even close!

Until you've driven a Subaru with a proper winter tire, you cannot even begin to imagine the difference.

I know this from first hand experience...trust me.

Except you sometimes tend to do things that are "totally" not necessary for the average person.:D You can make almost anything a bit or a whole lot better, but since I don't drag-race my Impreza or see if I can go through almost any amount of snow/slush/ice and or try to go anywhere.......it just doesn't make sense to me. I drive allot of miles, so I need a tire that will get the job done safely in all conditions. I do totally see the merit of going with specific tires for different times of the year, but I am a no non-sense kind of guy "with a budget".;)

When is that new mackdaddy Jeep gonna be here?

Lost, that is one other reason too for the thought on getting the winter tires. I have to be at work, almost no matter what.

Also, my parents are getting older and at times, may have to use my car to take them where ever they need to go. Plus i dont want to wreck this new car.

there are plenty of other tires that are cheaper and outperform the blizzak some of the new blizzaks are not as good as the others make you research the model you are buying don't just assume it's going to be good because it says blizzak on it

Although I will miss the 4 wheel drifting I have become accustomed to with my all seasons. ;)

Thats the thing with winter tires. it just makes driving in the snow more fun. you have more grip but youll still be able to do a 4-wheel drift if you want. donuts in a RWD car with snow tires are almost the most fun thatcan be had while driving a car.