Winter tire options for Subaru Legacy

scottb

I know another opinion thread.

What do Subaru owners do for winter driving?

1. Keep good all season tires on factory rims all year round?

OR

2. Have a second set of rims with snow tires and keep the factory alloys for summer? So, 2 sets of rims and tires, install on car each season

I live in the 'burbs.Just south of Cleveland. Roads are usually plowed. My trip to work is mostly freeway, but there are spots that are constantly snow covered with wind blown snow. Occasional trips out to Ashtabula for hunting, visiting friends. I assume road plowing out that way might not be the same as the burbs.

Here's the deal. I took delivery of a new to me 2011 Legacy, with 22,000 miles on it. Factory tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02.

The bridgestones have poor reviews and from Bridgestone's website, no rating for snow/ice. The rating chart just shows a dash ( - ) instead of a number from 1 through 10.

I know usually factory tires are not the best, but just enough to get you to about 30,000 miles.

I drove the car home from the dealership Monday night when the snow was falling. I was having issues in the snow with the car stopping, accelerating and slow speed turns.

Driving to work on semi-plowed roads and the freeway just flat out sucked.

After work I parked the Subaru and then drove my monte carlo to finish up running around town without issues ( Monte has Cooper CS4 all season tires)

Ok, I dont think it is the car or unrealistic expectations of how the all wheel drive should work. I think it is all due to the tires.

So, my options are:

1. get a complete set of steel rims, Blizzak tires, tire pressure sensors and lug nuts for the winter from Tirerack.com ( they seem to be the only place that has Blizzak tires in stock, local places indicate the are out of stock and can't get anymore?)

2. Get the Blizzack tires only, have my "summer" tires removed from alloy rims and the snow tires mounted. Then in the summer, get the factory tires re-mounted on alloy rims?

3. Just get a good set of all season tires on the alloy rims and keep on the car for the next 4 or 5 years. If I go this route, the all season tires will probably Cooper CS4's like the ones on my former car.

Pros of getting complete steel rims and snow tires =

Getting for sure good tires for winter travel

1.Factory alloys will not see salt

2.steel rims will get beat up in the salt instead of alloys

3.If a steel rim gets damaged by sliding into curb ( which should not happen) $60 is alot cheaper to replace the rim then $400 plus alloy.

4. For sure traction / performance in winter

Cons of getting complete steel rims and tires:

1. COST $900 instead of $450 for all season tires that will stay on the car

2. storage of the "not currently on car" set of rims and tires

3. dealing with getting the tire pressure sensor "re-learned" to the car each season.

4. the factory tire will probably need to be replaced in one year anyway due to mileage, so might as well just all season now for all year use.

So, right now, I am leaning on just getting a set of all season tires mounted on my factory rims. ANYTHING has to be better then what is on the car now for the snow.

If you are still reading this, any thoughts? Please share with the class.

Buy a truck. :lol:

I know a girl from Canada who has winter wheels and tires and summer wheels and tires for her mazda. When I asked her why, she looked at me like I was from space. It is apparently the norm for those from the frozen tundra to run steelies and winter tires and save your nice rims for summer.

I'd do like the Canucks.

1. get a complete set of steel rims, Blizzak tires, tire pressure sensors and lug nuts for the winter from Tirerack.com ( they seem to be the only place that has Blizzak tires in stock, local places indicate the are out of stock and can't get anymore?)

this

I have steel wheels and Blizzak's for my WRX as it came with summer tires. Of course were not having any snow now either.:cry: I didn't get the TPMS and saved 150 bucks. I'll just deal with the light.

Edited by Kritz

I'd go for option 1 if you can spare the coin. It's easier to swap out complete wheels than remounting tires each season.

My buddy has a wrx, he does the 2 sets of wheels, star spec in summer and snows in winter. Doesn't bother re-learning the tpm system for winters, just deals with an annoying light for winter.
Cons of getting complete steel rims and tires:

1. COST $900 instead of $450 for all season tires that will stay on the car

2. storage of the "not currently on car" set of rims and tires

3. dealing with getting the tire pressure sensor "re-learned" to the car each season.

4. the factory tire will probably need to be replaced in one year anyway due to mileage, so might as well just all season now for all year use.

quote]

1. Although all seasons are respectable, nothing beats a set of snow tires. I had Blizzacks on my Mustang and it ripped through the 1-2" of snow with no issue.

2. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HYI-01000hyi-01000_w.jpg

3. just ignore the TPM, but be sure to check the pressure. What did we do before TPM was invented.

THis method is the norm for anyone with a more sport orientated car. However, the Legacy is more of a family sedan so All-Seasons probably would get you by except in the most agressive snow storms. But the above option would be the best way to go. Steel rims add weight and if you a thinner profile tire as suggested by tirerack.com, you'd have better traction as well.

^ this

if you can afford another set of wheels/tires this is the best option

even if you have to buy new summer tires next year anyways, you now have two sets and should get longer life from each, along with optimal traction in all conditions....its really a win/win

just deal with the light in the winter and check them manually

all season tires are great, but they dont really excel at anything...theyre a blanket tire for those of us too poor to have two sets of rims/tires lol

Two Sets of Tires are essential. doesn't matter what you drive. I like having two sets of wheels but nice aftermarket wheels for summer arent that expensive and can really liven up the look of a car. Id say get rid of the all seasons all together get blizzacks mounted on the factory wheels then this spring get a combo deal on wheels and summer tires.

Two Sets of Tires are essential. doesn't matter what you drive. I like having two sets of wheels but nice aftermarket wheels for summer arent that expensive and can really liven up the look of a car. Id say get rid of the all seasons all together get blizzacks mounted on the factory wheels then this spring get a combo deal on wheels and summer tires.

this

although i disagree on "doesnt matter what you drive"....trucks do fine with AT tires year round...the weight plays a huge role

I'm a different case, I go with 2 different vehicles, winter time I have winter tires on my ugly luxury sedan, summer time I have avon storm 2 ultras on the XX, and all season/MT tires on my buggy...

during the summer, the caddy sits most of the time, and on the rare occasion that I do drive in the summer, the snow tires work fine.(heavy rain, etc)

I run all seasons on my Legacy. When I had a Honda Prelude I used Blizzaks. Blizzaks on a Subaru would be very nice but unnecessary imo. Although if I had the cash to do it sure. AWD + Blizzaks you'd be unstoppable.

I run all seasons on my Legacy. When I had a Honda Prelude I used Blizzaks. Blizzaks on a Subaru would be very nice but unnecessary imo. Although if I had the cash to do it sure. AWD + Blizzaks you'd be unstoppable.

only problem I have with blizz is that they are not studdable... so they suck for ice compared to a good snow tire that IS studded.

you might look at firestone winterforce, or if you really want to go crazy, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta is supposed to be the absolute best winter tire available...

(keep you from getting stuck when you are trekking backroads in my neighborhood)

Edited by magley64

only problem I have with blizz is that they are not studdable... so they suck for ice compared to a good snow tire that IS studded.

for not being studded they do pretty well on ice suprisingly. My G35 was a nightmare to drive in any kind of snow with nearly brand new all seasons but a huge difference with the blizzaks. Had to drive it down to my office one time in a freezing rain and they really impressed me

Mags,

I plowed snow for 15 years, driven with god knows how many tires and Blizzaks were by far the best, studded tires on trucks and rear wheel drive (80's vintage)cars included. There was a Pirelli in there that was pretty good but it was back in high school. I

this

although i disagree on "doesnt matter what you drive"....trucks do fine with AT tires year round...the weight plays a huge role

I'd wager that most cars have more weight over the rear wheels than virtually any pickup.

Weight matters for sure, but trucks don't have the better weight distribution unless you weight the bed.

Mags,

I plowed snow for 15 years, driven with god knows how many tires and Blizzaks were by far the best, studded tires on trucks and rear wheel drive (80's vintage)cars included. There was a Pirelli in there that was pretty good but it was back in high school. I

rwd V fwd V awd V 4wd is a different issue, I'm just talking tires.

I'm not trying to argue with your experience, just going by the tire company's own disclaimer that blizzaks are NOT for harsh winter use, and the reviews I've read regarding studded tires that are endorsed by their manufacturers as harsh winter capable.

you're closer than I thought, mike...

But there have been nights I was afraid I would get stuck out here riding my snowmobile... no way I'm taking a family car with blizzaks out on a night like that, especially down roads like allen-comp, russel, guest...

Thanks for all the replies.

Mags, your side of the world is not plowed as much as the 'burbs. Next time I am out that way, I will call ya. For reference, I live near Cleveland akron Honda ( might be called Ohio Motorcycle now?)

I decided to go with the steel rims and BLizzak tires.

I know I can have them delivered to my house from Tirerack, but I called the local tire place who is also a Tirerack installer. It is about $20 more to have the tire dealer order from Tirerack. However, the tire place will mount them on the car ( not a big deal,at least the first time) and offer free road hazzard ( good to have i suppose) and life time tire rotation. They classify the change over of the summer / winter tires as a tire rotation, so no extra money there. They will also "relearn" the tire pressure sensors each season. And the final benefit, they will store the tires at their place.

Kinda creeped out about this, and hope they have done this service before so that my tires don't end up on somebody elses car. I kinda have room in the garage / basement to store the tires, but now I wont have too.

I hope that the Legacy will handle like a snowmobile driven by Travis Pastrana after all this.

Thanks again guys.

Kinda creeped out about this, and hope they have done this service before so that my tires don't end up on somebody elses car. I kinda have room in the garage / basement to store the tires, but now I wont have too.

Fairly common service, my aunt has a tire guy that stores her summer tires in winter and winter tires in summer (she buys them all from him) and he offers unlimited free changeovers so she only has 1 set of rims... they get remounted and rebalanced every november and march