another epic gixxer.com thread

mrmako777

WOW is all i can say...

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320333

sorry if this is a repost

EDIT: pics for adam parks :D

hey guys. I just completed with my motor swap without any new mounts. All I did was drill 2 holes in my frame:

46aea2d8.jpg

I added washers to the back to compensate for the space.

07d7a799.jpg

So now I have 4 out of 5 mounts.

Edited by mrmako777
  • Upvote 1

2, maybe 3 months before that thing cracks and he's running over his engine while popping a wheelie. other posters were right, the dude spends how much for the motor/wiring and can't fork over $160 for proper mounts? It's not like the dude was trying to drop in a Hayabusa motor and had to re-invent the wheel to get it in, there was already a manufactured solution.

I demand more of these for my amusement.

Holy shit, already shows signs of a stress fracture in the one picture. His wife must have really pissed him off or has a nice insurance policy since he is building it for her.

Edited by cmh_sprint

Holy shit, already shows signs of a stress fracture in the one picture. His wife must have really pissed him off of has a nice insurance policy since he is building it for her.

At first glance I didn't even notice that, but it definitely looks like a crack is already forming on the second picture. I hope he realizes what he has done and chooses to not ride this until he makes the proper corrections. He is risking his life getting on a motorcycle as it is, this is just making it worse.

Holy shit, already shows signs of a stress fracture in the one picture. His wife must have really pissed him off or has a nice insurance policy since he is building it for her.

I missed that part. I hope this guy has a good lawyer for the impending civil suit.

So, welding question here (because I only know how to MIG weld steel)... I don't know the first thing about welding aluminum...

The frame he drilled through was cast aluminum, right?

Is it possible to weld to cast aluminum? Without making it brittle? Can he get a professional welder to add aluminum to the outside of the frame (where the new hole was drilled too close to the outside, right where the "crack" appears to be) to provide additional support there?

This is assuming that is not a crack. If it IS a crack then how would they fix that? Could they cut out the crack itself, widening it enough to weld up the cut, then either re-drill the hole (or better, plug the hole and use a manufactured engine mount kit for the 1k swap)? I'm thinking about how I fix pinholes in my welds - drill out the pinhole and make it big enough to weld up the bigger hole.

I did a bunch of welding on the frame of my Bronco where the body mounts punched through the paper-thin rusted metal. I cut out 8" sections of the top of the C-channel and welded new plate in place. Then I had to re-drill the holes for the body mounts. Look at the frame now it's painted you can't tell there was a repair done.

I did something like that years ago, and it went south, and cost more than it would if only done right the first time. but good luck anyway.

Anyone who has done any serious work on a bike/car/truck has gone through that phase, unless they were taught by someone competent from the start.

Heck, I even made a cold-air-intake kit for my Taurus about 15 years ago. Took a 3" PVC pipe and used heat to mold it around various components until I get it where I needed it. Then installed a 9" cone air filter under the front bumper. Couple of weeks later I drove through a deep puddle and hydrolocked the engine. Busted a rod clean in half. Lower-mileage junker engine cost me $00 and two days to install. Lesson learned. I never do any *mods* on my daily driver that can affect its reliability. My only mods have been my camera system which is a bolt-on installation. The rest of the drivetrain is 100% stock, only maintenance and repairs have been done.

My Bronco has been modded a TON for offroadnig, but over time I have learned what works and what doesn't. Saving time during the engineering phase is a false economy and only well-engineered and well-executed work cna be trusted. I've committed some crimes against engineering in my time, but learned from those mistakes.

Did I ever tell you how I got the engine/trans/transfer case out of my friend's Rav4 when she spun the #1 bearing? :D

PDRM0395.jpg

Worked like a charm. After the engine was replaced she continued to drive this car for about 6 years until it was totalled in a rear-ender.

It also helps to have access to the right tools.