Lettuce discuss motersycle Batteries

max power

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get YUASA or Biketrasher and simply put a battery tender on it....done. Seriously, sitting kills these little batteries but if you keep a tender on it it will be nice and fresh when you need it. I got 6yrs out of my Yuasa..... and have some biketrashers in a few other units that are doing fine at 2+yrs.... just sayin

That's more like it. Might have to see if they have one for the FZ since it currently has an emergency walmart acid battery....mounted on its side....from 2 seasons ago.

Hey, I remember that Walmart trip. Nothing like changing a battery in the Walmart parking lot just outside the service doors.

I would definitely not recommend Scorpion. Bought one from batteries plus at the beginning of this year. Got real busy around the end of summer/fall and the bike sat for about 5 or 6 weeks...went to start it and it was half dead...lights and gauges came on but it wouldn't turn over. It wasn't even cold outside. Garbage. I'll stick with Yuasa next time.

:cheers: These are newest batteries available from Ballistic, a 3 year warranty is hard to beat on a battery. Thing I like about these as well is that they are made in the Wisconsin.

Edited by RidersDiscount
Spelling

:cheers: These are newest batteries available from Ballistic, a 3 year warranty is hard to beat on a battery. Thing I like about these as well is that they are made in the Wisconsin.

I will need one for my YFZ450 as well, please PM me a price if you cannot post on here. Thanks.

you guys must be doing something wrong if you're only getting 3 years out of a battery.

I still have the original battery in my 03 R6. the friggin build date is stamped on the side of it of sept 2002. (GS brand) and the original battery in my 06 FZ6. i forget the brand on it. it's either gs or yuasa.

I do nothing to maintain them. no chargers, no battery tenders, no nothing. the one in my R6 has never been disconnected since I purchased the bike in jan of 2003.

Edited by serpentracer

you guys must be doing something wrong if you're only getting 3 years out of a battery.

I still have the original battery in my 03 R6. the friggin build date is stamped on the side of it of sept 2002. (GS brand) and the original battery in my 06 FZ6. i forget the brand on it. it's either gs or yuasa.

I do nothing to maintain them. no chargers, no battery tenders, no nothing. the one in my R6 has never been disconnected since I purchased the bike in jan of 2003.

You just jinxed yourself.

• 2 months later...
Get YUASA or Biketrasher and simply put a battery tender on it....done. Seriously, sitting kills these little batteries but if you keep a tender on it it will be nice and fresh when you need it. I got 6yrs out of my Yuasa..... and have some biketrashers in a few other units that are doing fine at 2+yrs.... just sayin

No. Sitting kills lead acid batteries not sealed ones. Overcharging with a battery tender kills sealed batteries. That's why everyone is only getting a few years from them. Sealed batteries can sit a LONG time and not self-discharge. That's why they make good UPS batteries. Their rate of discharge is about 10x less than traditional batteries.

On the other hand you will sulfate them if you try to charge them too much like with a battery tender. It assumes you're charging a lead acid battery that 1. needs a higher float charge voltage, and 2. loses 15% capacity monthly.

A traditional flooded battery is not harmed by over-charging. It merely gasses electrolyte. A gel cell or AGM cannot do that.

It kills me to see every spring 20 threads started about a dead battery that is "only a year old and kept on a tender all winter....I don't know what happened to it' :nono:

Here's a hint, throw a voltmeter on you AGM and note is stays at 12.7v-12.8v for 18 months... especially in the cold.

So stop charging the damn things, you're destroying them. That's why yours didn't last. Premature failure due to sulfation. 6 years isn't something to brag about...:wtf:

Im def not complaining about my batteries, when I dont keep them on a tender they will not start in the spring. I keep them on during the winter and it works perfectly and any time they sit for longer than a week I keep them on. So I am going to continue using my tenders on all my batteries.

I have sworn off cheaply built Walmart batteries with no warranty and started using the fine Batteries+ batteries in my bikes with their whopping 3 month warranty.

Yesterday after cutting out the swingarm on my Warrior (story for another thread) I decided to see what the deal with the electrical system was. Battery showing 13v, lights bright, hit starter, click battery voltage drops to nothing. Shit. smack starter just to make sure its not locked up. try again. nothing.

POS battery apparently has dropped a cell. :cry:

Does anyone sell a decent motorcycle battery? I'm getting tired of buying new batteries for my bikes every year.

check out the Tru gel batteries at Pony. 2 yr. warranty. They do need to be charged up properly before install though. They are supposed to be charged and ready to install, but i have seen a few that weren't, and until they were charged properly, didn't work right. I'm betting if you PM the right guy, you might even find yourself a deal......

No. Sitting kills lead acid batteries not sealed ones. Overcharging with a battery tender kills sealed batteries. That's why everyone is only getting a few years from them. Sealed batteries can sit a LONG time and not self-discharge. That's why they make good UPS batteries. Their rate of discharge is about 10x less than traditional batteries.

On the other hand you will sulfate them if you try to charge them too much like with a battery tender. It assumes you're charging a lead acid battery that 1. needs a higher float charge voltage, and 2. loses 15% capacity monthly.

A traditional flooded battery is not harmed by over-charging. It merely gasses electrolyte. A gel cell or AGM cannot do that.

It kills me to see every spring 20 threads started about a dead battery that is "only a year old and kept on a tender all winter....I don't know what happened to it' :nono:

Here's a hint, throw a voltmeter on you AGM and note is stays at 12.7v-12.8v for 18 months... especially in the cold.

So stop charging the damn things, you're destroying them. That's why yours didn't last. Premature failure due to sulfation. 6 years isn't something to brag about...:wtf:

http://www.progressivedyn.com/battery_basics.html I am not saying all your comments are wrong but :rolleyes:. Not quite sure were you got all your info but I think you may want to read up a little on batteries. http://www.yuasabatteries.com/videos.php Here are some videos that may help also. BTW my sealed yuasa is going on 11years old and is just showing signs of giving up.It lives on a Battery Tender all winter and 90% of the rest of the time.