07 gsxr 600 wont crank for anything

optimoprime

so i bought a gsxr6 under impression that it didnt hold a charge. but when i pick it up the guy throws cables on it and it cranks and fires. so i load it up and bring it home but the next day when i try to crank it, she dosent fire.

so i throw some cables on it and still wont crank. i pull off tank and airbox and check connections and she cranks and fires right up. so i put her back together and she wont crank at all again.

i bust her back down and try to check connections again but still no crank. so i search online for manual and to check others experiences. #1 thing i see is rectifier issues so i pull mine off and take to dealer and they check and it comes out ok. so i see where starter relay is next big thing i pull off and take to dealer that checks ok.

so i bust out manual and that says next try to connect starter cable to battery, start cranks strong like it did when it did crank the few times. so next i check that its in nuetral and put up kickstand as those are sometimes issues and still no crank. i'm kind of out of ideas an the manual isnt giving me much else to go on. i did go and buy a new battery so jumping and cables are out of the picture here

any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? i'm really trying to avoid taking this into dealership/mechanic shop.

all the wiring appears to be good and like i said it was good enough to crank few times so i believe it to still be ok. its low mileage bike to my knowledge and doesnt have any signs of "under-maintence" or negligence

photobucket-872-1321554953179.jpg

Edited by optimoprime

Sound like bad ground or something shorting out because of the while tank and airbox on/off thing. I would Chase down the leads to the started solenoid, fuel pump relay, voltage regulator and see if they are pinched or broken, then check the main body grounds and see if corroded or loose. If all else fails bring it over and I will breath life into it.

If you can't find any pinched section of the starter circuit harness, or faulty connection then I'd look into the switch being the culprit? Seems you've already been through the major players within the starting circuit, but there HAS to be something else involved or a component that's been overlooked -- did the dealer truly TEST the relay and/or rectifier? Have you tried the relay from another bike that does start fine to ensure it's definitely not the problem? Had a Yamaha that was acting up like this and I tried everything, even pulled the starter apart to clean the brushes -- but ended up being a ground cable pinched between the engine mount and frame from a hack shop doing trans. work on it......it got damn hot too, so I was lucky enough to just follow the smoke trail to where it was shorting out

I'd get the manual and start checking all the connections associated with starting - kick stand switch, clutch switch, etc. It may be an intermitant short somewhere. Another idea - call the PO - there may be some trick he didn't want to tell you because he didn't want to foul the sale. Now that it's a done deal, maybe he'll work with you?

so tip over sensor was up in correct position. and i didnt see any pinched or unhooked wiring. i checked clutch lever to make sure it was hitting the switch and i didnt see anything unnormal there.

pics of what i'm seeing

photobucket-8286-1322071574874.jpg

photobucket-8307-1322071589924.jpg

photobucket-2266-1322071604491.jpg

photobucket-6745-1322071619273.jpg

photobucket-8200-1322071660839.jpg

this was only thing that look a little strange; didnt know if this is something out of ordinary or if these just get dirty because of their location

photobucket-9624-1322071682334.jpg

All of the switches mentioned need to be checked for continuity when they are meant to be continuous(and non-continuity when they're not supposed to be). It's great to look things over, but with electrical problems you're going to want to do some actual testing of components.

well the tip over switch didnt stop it from cranking when it fired the 1 time when i got it home. so i dont really think that the right area. besides to my knowledge that will still let it crank but not fire.

and like i said the starter relay and rectifier i took into dealership with pages from manual and they tested them in front of me with multi meter.

i hate electrical problems i can do the minor stuff but this is starting to feel way over my head

It can't be anything too major or it would have never cranked in the first place. Did you check simple stupid things like it being in neutral, all the fuses good and connections to the fuse box, battery etc good? Does it crank when you jump the poles across the starter solenoid? It should do that with the key out. If it does then your issue is in the main ignition switch, the starter button, the solenoid itself or any of the safety interlocks (clutch, neutral, tip over, kick stand). If it won't crank when you jump the solenoid then its either bad starter, low battery or bad connections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry68G0C2Fyc Finding an electrical problem is not a visual thing unless you find a big greeny(corroded copper) some place. A test light may work in a pinch but you really need a meter.It does not have to be an expensive one.

yeah battery voltage is only one part of the story. if it can't produce the amps your starter needs it's toast.

easiest way to test it is with a load tester. using a multimeter for a battery load test is the hard way of going about it.

all autoparts stores can test it too.

Edited by serpentracer

well guys think i tracked it down. i opend the startbutton up and found that it was only seeing 8volts there instead of 12. so i tried jumping the starter relay and it tried to crank.

when i try to press starter button it wont make the relay click so im thinking that when i had car battery hooked up it had more then enough volts to make conncetion. but otherwise its shot.

had some computer issues and was waiting for new button. but bad news. same symtoms with the new button.

the cars have always been off then they were being jumped from them but i just bought a new battery so i could rule that out.

when i took the relay into pony the tech there tested it and said it was good. i know he knows better then me but i guess its worth trying a diffrent one. im going to send this starter button back and see if they have a relay instead.

so sick of messing with this damn suzuki and in the mean time when i tried putting th battery back in the yamaha it fried the 30amp in that. went and bought another and it friend as soon as i put it in. frustrating day with bikes........