sold car on craigslist now a problem

gsxr07

Ignore that bullshit!! People try that scam any way they can!! You sold a used car and disclosed all issues you knew of and sold it as-is!! Tell him to bring it, call his bluff!

Ignore that bullshit!! People try that scam any way they can!! You sold a used car and disclosed all issues you knew of and sold it as-is!! Tell him to bring it, call his bluff!

:oldpost:

But while we're at it... I sold a car with a shuddering trans. Was very clear on it - even gave the guy a new vacuum modulator (which is what I thought the problem was). The bill of sale clearly stated as-is. The only way to make it safer was I could have written "Trans flares on 2-3 shift when cold". The guy said he was a mechanic and could put a junkyard trans in it for a couple of hundred bucks so he was fine with that.

One of the reasons they don't enforce warranties on as-is sales is that the buyer could easily replace a good part with a bad part and then make you pay for it.

Example: i have a Subaru with a bad manual transmission. I go out and buy an identical car with a good trans, switch transmissions and then take the purchased car (now with bad trans) back to the seller and demand my money back, or the cost of a trans repair. Refund? Good used transmission for free. Seller pays for repair? I now have a 10k car that I got for 8k that I can sell for a 2k profit AND a new trans. Bargain.

anything you do to appease him you do out of the kindness of your own heart...

Legally he has no recourse.

Similar issue here, sold a z24 to a guy down the street, told him I didn't know much about the car, but it seemed to drive fine. he took it home, and 2 days later he called me telling me that it wouldn't shift out of first. He was not threatening, or rude in any way, just asked if i knew anything about it, or if i could help somehow.

I researched it, and it was a nylon gear in the trans. I clearly stated "sold as is", but I thought 2 days was a little iffy, so I went over and put a new governor in it for him free of charge. Had he been rude or threatened to sue me, I'd have told him to eat shit.