Deer/bike collision at 75+ on OH-73

ngardner45601

Glad to hear your OK.

You were wearing an Icon helmet?

I was thinking about a Shoei or Arai.

But they are so expensive & the sellers convinced me that Icon & Bell helmets were not as good. Hmmmm.

Edited by OhioBob

Glad you were mostly geared up and ware able to walk away!

Glad to hear your OK.

You were wearing an Icon helmet?

I was thinking about a Shoei or Arai.

But they are so expensive & the sellers convinced me that Icon & Bell helmets were not as good. Hmmmm.

Consider that he ended up with a concussion, vs. my getting hit by an SUV, bouncing off a pick up truck, then tumbling for 30yds, followed by barrel rolls for another 10yds, and was concussion free with my Shoei Rf-1100

glad you made it okay,

dusk.....Was it too dark to go at 95? why am asking is i also like that time to ride since it some how helps me focus more on the road hence getting better lines and no target fixations ...esp if it has those flurocent side/mid lines. But i know its a bad idea too :(

Glad you're alright. Make your next bike a Multistrada. Deer can't knock those down.

hahahaha there he goes again :D after hearing this a lot i been kinda looking at the price and stuff,... too much for me.. :(

back on topic, once u hit a deer ..whats the impact on insurance?

It has had to impact on my insurance since it was declared a "no fault" accident. (The trooper that wrote the accident report couldn't determine my speed. I obviously told him 55.)

conn-e-rot ninja - I was thinkin about it and I think it would be better off going to another rider in need, I'm not too financially strapped at the moment and I think I'm gonna go with another Icon. I really appreciate your generosity though!

• Upvote 1

It has had to impact on my insurance since it was declared a "no fault" accident. (The trooper that wrote the accident report couldn't determine my speed. I obviously told him 55.)

conn-e-rot ninja - I was thinkin about it and I think it would be better off going to another rider in need, I'm not too financially strapped at the moment and I think I'm gonna go with another Icon. I really appreciate your generosity though!

No problem

...I had rode down to portsmouth via OH-73 and was heading back. (A gorgeous road btw.) I was about half way in between Rarden and Ottway...

It is nice road! Road it several times. Glad you are okay!

[quote name=

Simplysix - It was a mesh Icon and I sold it to a buddy who wants to 'repair' it real cheap so I no longer have it' date=' but I will post a pic of the helmet here eventually .

Thanks, I was asking because I ride with a Icon textile. When you said how well yours survived I wondered if it was leather. Good to know

We drove that section of SR73 yesterday, saw a skid mark that may have been the OP's.

I'll try to put this gently: It was plain irresponsible to be doing those speeds on that road. You are lucky that you only killed a deer and not an innocent person.

I've been seeing alot of bike/deer accidents of late...almost more than other kinds of bike accidents.

I'm wondering what can be done (mods) to a bike to prevent a deer collision? Loud pipes? Deer whistles attached to your bike? etc?

My housing area is known for having alot of deer. They just run out at the PERFECT time almost like they are trying to run into me!

I've been seeing alot of bike/deer accidents of late...almost more than other kinds of bike accidents.

I'm wondering what can be done (mods) to a bike to prevent a deer collision? Loud pipes? Deer whistles attached to your bike? etc?

My housing area is known for having alot of deer. They just run out at the PERFECT time almost like they are trying to run into me!

The only way a rider can eliminate deer accidents is to ride at 20mph.

Seriously, though, slower is better at dusk and dawn in deer country.

Deer whistles are a scam and DO NOT WORK and the only study that ever showed them to be effective was done by a fake "research group" run by the man who invented the deer whistle who observed that driving snowmobiles with deer whistles attached directly at a deer will make the deer run away.

• 4 weeks later...