Blocking trucks from The Dragon

buildit

I found it satisfying and adventurous. I enjoyed learning my limits and pushing myself. It helps me improve my street riding, so when I am out on the road I know what the bike wants to do.

The adventure part is learning for now for me. I get more of a rush on the track than the street.

I want to try endurance racing, for now its a goal for physical fitness.

I ride for the adventure and riding in a circle all day is not adventurous.

It's hardly a circle, but have you ever actually tried it, or are you just speculating that it's not adventurous?

I am not knocking street rides or touring, I am just saying that the experience some people seem to be after might be easier to achieve at the track. There will be pros and cons to both.

I'm not particularly advocating for either option (okay, sure I am...), but I think it's best for everyone to make an educated decision based on as many facts as possible.

I have logged thousands of laps at PIRC and hundreds at Nelson. Neither has ever gotten boring. That said, racing (big and little bikes) has severely changed my outlook on track days. I really like just going out and having fun on the track now. Not every session has to be about going as fast as possible, or catching the rider ahead of you ...until you want to make that the game.

I never said it couldn't be fun just said it wasn't adventurous by my definition. And yes I know it's not a perfect circle. Adventure by my definition is seeing different sights and landscapes around every corner, meeting the different people and cultures. Cycling to me isn't about how fast I can get our homing my skills, its about exploring and seeing different things and maybe how far I can get. I each their own but I know it's not for me. When I set out on a ride the first thing that goes through my mind is "where haven't I been".

• Upvote 2

Touring and street are fun and adventurous, but so is track. Riding on the track will help improve your skills for touring and street.

Im no Aaron Yates but my skills are more than efficient for my style of riding. I don't need to push the envelope when I'm out sight seeing, but when I do get on it occasionally I surprise most. A track day might be fun but for the trouble and expense of prepping the bike buying the correct PPE and everything involved I'd rather just hit the road on my own terms.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the legal question is will you sign the petitions? Copied from another forum.

Ikes law is aimed at keeping large and over sized vehicles off 129 because of the roads dangerous curves and large population of motorcyclists who ride on it. The obvious issue is discussed at length on the other forum, riders need to slow down, be aware of possible obstacles that could be in their path.

LOL I absolutely will not sign this. This is coming from someone that has ridden sportbikes almost exclusively since I turned 16 (over 13 years ago).

It's a public road...and the petition is basically saying "Sportbike riders want to ride the dragon's fail beyond legal speeds, and trucks are bad for that".

The problem isn't that trucks are driving on the road...the problem is that most squids don't have enough self-control to keep from going way too fast.

LOL I absolutely will not sign this. This is coming from someone that has ridden sportbikes almost exclusively since I turned 16 (over 13 years ago).

It's a public road...and the petition is basically saying "Sportbike riders want to ride the dragon's fail beyond legal speeds, and trucks are bad for that".

The problem isn't that trucks are driving on the road...the problem is that most squids don't have enough self-control to keep from going way too fast.

First you quoted something from 2011.

Second have you been there? 

You really have no clue do you? YouTube trucks or semis on the Dragon.

Your a funny guy, and just how many times have you ridden the dragon? Riders go down on that road all the time without riding too fast, so riding beyond your abilities is not always the reason why the Dragon bites riders. That road is pretty much impassible for big trucks and RV's, and I am not just talking 18 wheelers.

First you quoted something from 2011.

Second have you been there? 

I have been there. And yes, I rode it at speeds I shouldn't have, but it was awhile ago. Importantly, I've learned a lot since then.

I didn't know the post was from 2011, but the topic was at the top of the list as new posts and I hadn't seen it before, so I think it's unfair to blame me for not reading the entire thread and responding to the point of it.

BTW I'm not condoning truck drivers crossing lanes and driving all over the place...I'm not condoning *anyone* from driving/riding unsafely.

But trying to keep trucks off the road is ludicrous. It's just as bad as truck drivers saying "Motorcycles shouldn't be allowed here". I'd say there are more accidents or problems caused by new riders going down there and trying to run it at speeds they shouldn't.

Lol dude 18 wheelers have already been banned from that section of 129 as well as any setup longer than a certain length

They simply cannot run that road maintaining their own lane and that is reason enough to ban them. Motorcycle destination or not

I never said it couldn't be fun just said it wasn't adventurous by my definition. And yes I know it's not a perfect circle. Adventure by my definition is seeing different sights and landscapes around every corner, meeting the different people and cultures. Cycling to me isn't about how fast I can get our homing my skills, its about exploring and seeing different things and maybe how far I can get. I each their own but I know it's not for me. When I set out on a ride the first thing that goes through my mind is "where haven't I been".

So just to be clear, the answer to my question was "no," correct? You haven't ridden on a track and don't actually have any first-hand knowledge of whether or not it fits your own definition of "adventurous?"

Like I said, I wasn't bashing street riding or touring trips. I understand the allure, because I've done it. You appear to be writing off something you haven't tried.

BTW I'm not condoning truck drivers crossing lanes and driving all over the place...I'm not condoning *anyone* from driving/riding unsafely.

But trying to keep trucks off the road is ludicrous. It's just as bad as truck drivers saying "Motorcycles shouldn't be allowed here". I'd say there are more accidents or problems caused by new riders going down there and trying to run it at speeds they shouldn't.

Keeping trucks off a road is done all the time on mountain.roads where the trucks can't stay on their side the road. There are three corners on the Dragon where the hanve to back up and screwaround to make it. Down in the same general area on 28 south of Franklin trucksjane always been banned and it has nothing to do with bikes.

Re-read what you said again, see if it truly makes any sense. Rider being careless, bold, inexperienced.......is a big difference than a vehicle with or without a trailer that cannot stay in its lane or especially make a turn without totally blocking the entire road or falling off the damn hill. THAT IS THE PROBLEM on route 129......plain and simple.

Your missing the point of wanting to ban them. MOST people want them banned because of safety reasons i'm sure a very select few narrow minded idiots want them banned so they can go fast but i guarantee most aren't thinking that. I'm sure most of the truckers that hit that road are because the GPS told them to go that way and once they were on it realized it was a huge mistake then make a mental note to never do it again. No doubt some rider ride past thier abilities but hell some can do that and stay under the speed limit there, but guess what that's not illegal, but going left of center and blocking the road is. I can't believe you don't see the issue here, they should be banned because they don't work there, and are dangerous to bikes, cars, pick ups, and bicycles alike. Do you think bicycles and pedestrians belong on the interstate or a Yugo belongs in the Daytona 500 ? It's only fair right? Still trying to figure out why you are riding your high horse about this.