Opinions Needed: Honda CRV

Casper

I have always found that "logic" to be pretty ridiculous. Pay a lot more money for a feature that you only need maybe once a year in Columbus...

decent ground clearance, fwd, and tires with decent tread on them will do just fine in 98% of snowy conditions.

Once you're moving, awd just means that you can lose traction by spinning all four wheels instead of only the drive wheels.

drivers all over the country get a false sense of confidence from awd/4wd every winter, and the result is more severe accidents, or getting stuck much further into conditions they had no business driving in in the first place...

Carrie is smarter than that. I would be surprised if she wouldn't reconsider.

Yeah, there are no advantages to AWD/4WD at all outside of ice/snow. I'll be sure to pass that along to the engineers at Audi, BMW, Porsche, and the rest of the auto manufacturers. :D

Yeah, there are no advantages to AWD/4WD at all outside of ice/snow. I'll be sure to pass that along to the engineers at Audi, BMW, Porsche, and the rest of the auto manufacturers. :D

I'm not saying there aren't advantages, but the loss in economy trumps them in all but the rarest situations.

furthermore, your CR-V is not built for the same purposes as an Audi, BMW (which strongly favors rwd anyway) or Porsche. Why would it be equipped in the same manner?

Pauly, we're a hundred miles north of Ben and Carrie, and get considerably more snow. "adequate" turns into "more adequate" the further south you go.

I am probably overly impressed with fwd from years of driving a rwd ranger, but the fact is, I never even got the ranger stuck anywhere other than my driveway.

The CR-V is a very good vehicle, but I don't believe the awd option is a worth-while investment in an area that receives HALF as much annual snowfall as Cleveland.

(citing my stat http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/snowfall.html)

Pauly, we're a hundred miles north of Ben and Carrie, and get considerably more snow. "adequate" turns into "more adequate" the further south you go.

I am probably overly impressed with fwd from years of driving a rwd ranger, but the fact is, I never even got the ranger stuck anywhere other than my driveway.

The CR-V is a very good vehicle, but I don't believe the awd option is a worth-while investment in an area that receives HALF as much annual snowfall as Cleveland.

(citing my stat http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/snowfall.html)

I am looking at the 4WD option due to the fact i drive to PA several times a year. Just because we live in central Ohio doesn't mean we don't venture to places that a 4WD would be helpful.

I just got a Rogue for my wife. Looked hard at the Hyundai Tucson and the CR-V, a little bit at the Subbie Forester and the Rav4. I worked at Nissan for three years and know what goes wrong with the Rogues (nothing). My wife loved the one we test drove a year ago, bought ours sight unseen. Love it. Interior space in the Rogue is bigger than the Murano until you get to the cargo area. I'd give the Rogue a look. PM me and I can put you in touch with the dealer I worked at/bought from.

I just got a Rogue for my wife. Looked hard at the Hyundai Tucson and the CR-V, a little bit at the Subbie Forester and the Rav4. I worked at Nissan for three years and know what goes wrong with the Rogues (nothing). My wife loved the one we test drove a year ago, bought ours sight unseen. Love it. Interior space in the Rogue is bigger than the Murano until you get to the cargo area. I'd give the Rogue a look. PM me and I can put you in touch with the dealer I worked at/bought from.

:plus1: on the Nissan Rogue. My SV AWD, goes through the snow like a tank. ;)

It was a 2008 Equinox. Just wasn't for me. We test drove a ton of vehicles before ending on the Pilot we got, but that's apples and oranges really between the mid-sized SUV's and a full-sized Pilot.

As a GM guy, I'm not exactly thrilled with the Equinox (or many other FWD/AWD GM's.) The wheel bearings (OE and replacements) are crap. Steering shafts can get noisy. I don't think they drive all that well. For the way they ride and drive, one might as well get a minivan, and have the extra space!

I have a tough time calling a Pilot full sized (we have one.) If the budget allows, I would recommend going with the Pilot over the CRV, unless fuel mileage is a huge concern.

I just looked at my 01-11 Consumer buyers guide and they rated the CRV number one for vehicles in that class. The runner up was the Rav 4. My bosses wife drives one its an 01 and has almost 300K. No issues... He's changed the timing belt and water pump but I believe thats been remedied with a chain after 02 or 3. Looks like a solid investment.

The chain is an improvement, but not a complete remedy, since the chains do fail in the K series engines. More reliable than a belt, yes. As reliable as one would expect from a chain? Maybe not quite.

So does my subaru...

So does my FWD Dodge (that should have died about 100k miles ago)