New gun thoughts

Jst2fst

Okay, so I'm looking for a new gun a thought that I wanted to build an AR but put it on hold for a bit no need for a large caliber when I won't use it that much in Columbus. I was looking at Vances and found two guns one a .22 tactical plinker AR from Mossberg and a rifle from Savage with a 17 HMR caliber. I figure that I'm not gonna be using the guns regularly maybe a range visit a few times a month. I was also thinking about starting to hunt and looking at the 22 does not look like it will do much but the savage looks like it can hold its own plus it comes with a scope for $220 on sale. I'm really trying to figure out what type of gun I'm looking for and from the ones selected ones a bolt action and the other semi auto.

SAVAGE 93R17 FNSXP 17HMR W/SCOPE - $220

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/88569/name/savage-savage-93r17-fnsxp-17hmr-wscope

CBC/MOSSBERG 715T 22LR TACTICAL 18`BBL - $230

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/99180/name/mossberg-cbcmossberg-715t-22lr-tactical-18%60bbl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.22 is wayyyy cheaper to shoot if you just want to plink around at targets and whatnot. What sort of hunting are you considering getting into, that will help people on here suggest caliber. I have a Savage in .223 and I love it, very accurate and has done everything I've asked of it.

You say you want to get into hunting, yet you don't have any idea what you want to hunt?

I'f you're thinking deer, both guns you picked out would get the job done with a properly placed shot, just not legally in ohio. If you want squirrels,rabbits, and groundhogs then both would be great calibers to start out with. The .17 will give you a little more distance to reach out and touch some groundhogs though and comes with a scope (probably junk) but still it's a starting point.

As to which of those 2 guns, that's tough to decide. Better options out there in .22 and I don't have any experience with the .17hmr. You could always just start out with a cheap used .22 to learn fundamentals and then step up to a big kid gun.

Edited by ross

I love my 17HMR but like people have said before it all really depends on what you want. My 17 is fun but anything more than 200yrds and the wind really starts to play a factor, as for the 22 i am not sure you will get 200 yards and if you do you will not have no where near the impact. You need to figure on what would be best for your budget as well. the 22 is litterally penny's to shoot where i think i just paid $9 for a box of 50 HMR rounds. (maybe even a little more) Last but not least i have to agree with C-Bus... if you are really looking to do some hunting i would invest in a 20 gauge preferably with both barrels so you can have the best of both worlds. Meaning you can have a slug gun to deer hunt and a bird barrel for well BIRDS LOL but also rabbits and other small game of your choice. just my 2 cents. good luck with decision.

Go 22. If fundamentals is what you wanna learn its the best. The 17 is a flat shooting gun and takes the shooter more out of the equation. The slower 22 round with its arching trajectory makes it more about the shooter and skills.

Ok what kind of game are you able to get with the 17? Im looking for a decent starter within price range saw the 17 for cheap with a scope and figured it be good to learn with for hunting. Im still looking for better deals online or if anyone knows where I can get one for a good price I'll consider. Asmentioned im not gonna be using this daily. I like both guns just trying to decide on which type is good. I'll look at some shotguns as well before making the final decision. So continue to give me some thoughts. Thanks

how often are you going to shoot and how much do you want to spend on ammo? you should answer that first, second either gun is ok to hunt small game but you need to look at what you want to hunt because Ohio laws only allow certain things you can hunt with, I AM NOT SURE but i dont believe you can hunt rabbits in Ohio with a 17 or a 22? If you want to ground hog hunt or something similer i personally would go with the 17HMR. if you are just plincking and maybe shooting some squirrels then go with the .22

if you wanted an AR, but are leaning toward smaller caliber, why not buy the 10/22 "arch angel" someone has for sale on here?

that's basically a cheap-to-shoot AR...

I am by no means a firearms expert, but take a look at the cost of ammo, and the muzzle velocity. 17 HMR seems to pretty much explode inside whatever you hit, so small game is killed, but there's not much left of it to use for meat, or pelts. .22lr has approximately HALF the muzzle velocity of a 17 HMR, so it won't shoot as flat, but it will also preserve the game you hit. 223 is a whole different ballgame. Center-fire ammo. More expensive, slightly larger, and at least twice as fast out of the barrel. Kind of the best of both worlds between the 17 and the .22, but you pay the premium for it every time you pull the trigger.

for occasional use, ammo prices shouldnt really bother you.... so, .17hmr > .22

if you were going to shoot daily with it, i would say .22 because its dirt cheap to shoot, but i like the .17hmr round more

.17hmr does so some damage though - but a properly placed shot and it shouldnt matter.... mine was so accurate i could make dime sized groups at 75 yards (didnt get a chance to shoot it further, sold it to finance something else)....if youre shooting a squirrel or something, just shoot it in the head...the meat will survive

.223 is a completely different ballgame.... nice round for hunting small-medium game...but i wouldnt go squirrel hunting with it or anything...groundhogs, coyotes, foxes, etc would be good for a .223....some states allow deer hunting with a .223, you would just need a well placed shot...ohio doesnt allow deer hunting with rifles though

if i was getting another rifle for small-medium game hunting, i would be looking at a .223 savage rifle bolt-action

Edited by Steve Butters

As has been mentioned above, I think .22LR is going to provide you with the best opportunity for learning to shoot your new rifle. If you're only going to be making it to the range a few times a month you'll probably want to be shooting a lot on those days, and when you can get a bulk pack of 500 rounds of .22LR for $15, you're going to be able to get a lot of practice in. There are plenty of combo .22s rifles with a scope mounted available as well in a similar price range. Thousands of camps and gun clubs across the country use .22LR as a good intro to riflery, and for good reason. Also if you're still working for osu, there's a rifle club that meets in the basement of the ROTC building every week that you could come join and get to shoot .22LR in a nice indoor range.

I understand the learning to shoot point, but with a properly sighted rifle, there isnt much to learn when it comes to short distance shooting like with a .22 or a .17 is there? Ive fired a total of under 200 rounds through a rifle, and while im not an expert marksman, i put bullets in the same hole consistently with my .17hmr i had

Ok, so I had some thought as to what I was looking to shoot at and I looked at the Rossi 410/22 and 20/22 from Vances they are both shotguns but allow me to shoot different rounds. 22's to practice with and 410/20 to hunt with. Who has these or have used them. What should I expect beside cheaper to shoot the 22. These are some other thoughts as well not set in stone but considering.

410/22

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/44462/name/rossi-matched-pair-41022-and-2218.5-blk

20/22

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/44458/name/rossi-matched-pair-2022-and-2218.5-blk

youth sized

The youth size Rossi matched pair makes the perfect first gun for teaching that young hunter in your life how to safely shoot and hunt. All offer a smaller stock and barrel to ensure that the first time out is a pleasant experience. Single shot has long been recognized as the best teaching firearm for young shooters, and Rossi adds in transfer bar technology to help prevent accidental discharges as well as a manual safety.

googled the model number and thats what came up