Ohio's Popular Motorcycle Roads and Routes

Bad324

I run it all the time it just pretty short. And I'm betting if we take most of our group rides on it someone will be on the pavement

That's both sad and true.

Ain't a tricky road, but something about group rides brings out the fail in people.

Last time I went down Hickman (I do the loop of Hickman/79/Dayton Rd. a lot), I passed 5 cruisers just leaving Hanover. The first couple turns they slowed down so much the guy in the back couldn't counter-steer...he was turning bars he was going so slow. I asshole-passed because there was no way I was staying behind that. When I got to 79, which ain't far, I stopped at the store and got a Mt. Dew. Drank it completely, and was back on the bike with my gear back on before that group got to me. I wasn't even flying on it either, just a nice brisk pace. And, if that wasn't pathetic enough I could hear them saying "Yeah! That's an awesome road" at the stop sign.

Fuck. How awesome could it be when you're in 2nd gear idling your way down it?

That's both sad and true.

Ain't a tricky road, but something about group rides brings out the fail in people.

Last time I went down Hickman (I do the loop of Hickman/79/Dayton Rd. a lot), I passed 5 cruisers just leaving Hanover. The first couple turns they slowed down so much the guy in the back couldn't counter-steer...he was turning bars he was going so slow. I asshole-passed because there was no way I was staying behind that. When I got to 79, which ain't far, I stopped at the store and got a Mt. Dew. Drank it completely, and was back on the bike with my gear back on before that group got to me. I wasn't even flying on it either, just a nice brisk pace. And, if that wasn't pathetic enough I could hear them saying "Yeah! That's an awesome road" at the stop sign.

Fuck. How awesome could it be when you're in 2nd gear idling your way down it?

2nd on hickman is just right. Hell I ride 79 in 2nd and 3rd most of the time

2nd on hickman is just right. Hell I ride 79 in 2nd and 3rd most of the time

That's because you have sport bike gearing and rev for your torque....those Dynas I was following were in 2nd when they were going about 10mph.

I don't think they wanted to mess up their hair.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What can you all recommend for the best roads in SouthEast Ohio in terms of roads full of the tightest "15mph" type twisties?  Don't get me wrong, I love so much of what I have ridden in SEO, but a lot of the awesome roads are tighter sweepers or higher speed twisties. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I feel like riding in the Hocking area, I recall a lot more braking going into many many tight turns that required lower speeds, and leaning my bike a substantial amount harder in Hocking as evidenced by the sheer amount of times I have scraped my 4-1 exhaust's muffler on the pavement while carving through turns there.   the area around 565/537/260 had what I remembered being the most tighter curves on my last ride east of 33 south of 70, with 255 coming in right behind those.  78, 26, 676, etc were all great fun, but the tighter stuff is what I found myself really wanting to seek out after that ride. 

• 7 months later...

South central ohio/Portsmouth area

oh 140 from 93 to 52

Oh 93 from mcarthur on north

Oh 139 from Portsmouth to Jackson

Oh 125 - favorite road ever.

Blue creek from oh 125 to oh 52

Oh335 from Portsmouth to oh 32

Woods ridge from swagger (pronounced swauger) valley rd to oh 139

Swagger calley road from minford to Portsmouth

Shawnee state forest bicycle trails lol.

Oh 348

Oh 220

Rose mount hill rd Portsmouth

Maple Bennet/fuert hill Portsmouth

Oh 279 oak hill to oh 139

Ky AA10

Ky 1

Ky 2

Ky 538

Ky 738

Ky 7

Ky 9

Greenbo lake park roads.

Lots of others I can't think of right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Good list there, saving for future reference. There are a good bit of really nice very twisty roads west of Gallipolis and north of Parkersburg.  Greasy Ridge, 271,218...

We just rode Hocking the past two Sundays, and the roads were in great shape still, with minimal gravel. Didn't do HarbleGriffith, Thompson Ridge, or Goose Creek, but all else was great. Clear Creek Rd is the only one that was (STILL) in rough shape.Coming from the north, it is still worth hitting, as it links Revenge Rd into a really great part of 374 for the big hill climb and the pines section at Cantwell Cliffs. about 40% of Clear Creek was very enjoyable scenery, but having to avoid potholes and loose sections. The rest is awesome scenery and awesome riding. Still on my frequented list. Around the correctional facility at Christmas Rock/S Broad/Revenge Rd, they sealcoated the almost new pavement, and it was not as conducive to traction as we would have cared for going up the uphill tight S-curves slalom section that hugs the cliff faces. Hopefully the winter and more traffic will have it worn back down by springtime, as that uphill southbound blast is amazing leading to the prison.

• 3 weeks later...

SR 258 from Newcomerstown to Stillwater is a lot of fun. Then 800 toward Dennison, hang a right onto Moravian Trail Road. At Deersville, take Deersville Ridge Road to 250, left then onto 646.

Makes for a nice ride.....

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

8th Street Rd from cambridge to Newcomerstown. There is almost always stuff on the road on this one but when it's clean it's good fun.

Wow you weren't kidding! I stumbled upon it accidentally (off of 541 to Guernsey Valley Rd & Johnson Hill Rd) & immediately recognized the name from this forum. Short & VERY SWEET! Very much like OH-685 out of Nelsonville (couple miles of AWESOME rollercoaster & curves climbing & descending a ridge) only a bit longer and slightly narrower. I noticed a bit of loose gravel in a few places on the first few extremely steep long hillclimb turns, but the rest was pretty darn clean.

How is the stretch from Cambridge to Kimbolton? Looks pretty promising but not quite as rugged of terrain that it traverses.

Actually, how are the rest of the county roads south of Newcomerstown? On the map, there looks to be a lot of amazing twisties through some densely packed rugged hills. I figured they were probably just like most of the rest of the area around Coshocton where if it isn't a state route, then it is 85-90% likely to be gravel. Although Guernsey Valley Rd and Johnson Hill Rd were both nice looking & paved, so maybe there are more paved in that area south of Newcomerstown & mostly west of Johnson Hill Rd (what 8th St Rd turns into)????

Good list there, saving for future reference. There are a good bit of really nice very twisty roads west of Gallipolis and north of Parkersburg.  Greasy Ridge, 271,218...

Yes, those are some great roads and often little to no traffic. It's a haul for me getting down there, but I love that area. 795, 799, 141...all good.

• 2 years later...

OH-374 

Found this via Google because I was looking for something to practice on and what a great beginner road! Taking 33 east from pickerington, 374 is about 10 miles south of lancaster. It goes right up into Hocking hills in a shortish loop that you can either end at 33 on the southeast end via 188 or turn around and do it in reverse. For those not comfortable doing the epic ride, this is a good road to learn on I think. Out and back is about two hours. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:09 PM, cptchaos said:

OH-374 

Found this via Google because I was looking for something to practice on and what a great beginner road! Taking 33 east from pickerington, 374 is about 10 miles south of lancaster. It goes right up into Hocking hills in a shortish loop that you can either end at 33 on the southeast end via 188 or turn around and do it in reverse. For those not comfortable doing the epic ride, this is a good road to learn on I think. Out and back is about two hours. 

I really like that road when it is clean.  You do have to watch out for some fine debris at times.

5 hours ago, B-Mac said:

During the weekdays I am able to use this route with little traffic for a quick Moto fix. 374-56-664

So do others:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-aston-martin-vanquish-road-test-review

Love that route. I'm jealous.  I take the turnpike to work, LOL!

• 1 month later...

Part of 260 is closed north of 26. I suspect it may be related to my sightings last year of half the road falling down the hillside 60 feet into the creek. Back then it was 1 lane with temporary traffic light alternating one way directions.  Haven't made it down that way yet this year but may go for a test ride tomorrow if I get my bike back together and if my foot turns out not to be broken from dirt biking gnarly singletrack today on the KDX.... dangit don't ya hate getting injured in the riding season!!!

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D10/newsreleases/Pages/MOE-260-8.77-Bridge-Replacement.aspx

Beginning July 10, State Route 260 in Monroe County is closed near the intersection of CR 14 (Long Run) for a bridge replacement project.

The estimated completion date is October 31, 2017.

The detour is as follows: SR 260 to SR 145 to SR 565 to SR 260.

Sorry, a little late on that one! Looks like you can't pass through that until the end of riding season. At least there are about a couple dozen more incredible roads in the area to detour on!

1 minute ago, Chuck78 said:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D10/newsreleases/Pages/MOE-260-8.77-Bridge-Replacement.aspx

Beginning July 10, State Route 260 in Monroe County is closed near the intersection of CR 14 (Long Run) for a bridge replacement project.

The estimated completion date is October 31, 2017.

The detour is as follows: SR 260 to SR 145 to SR 565 to SR 260.

Sorry, a little late on that one! Looks like you can't pass through that until the end of riding season. At least there are about a couple dozen more incredible roads in the area to detour on!

Yeah we have taken bypasses around that section on a few group rides. 565 is the best way around it IMO. I actually rode over to where the bridge is out. As of last month, there was still no structure spanning across yet.