Salvage title, what to expect on inspection day?

TsunamiMike

You have probably seen I wrecked my bike back in April, finally I have it back together and am ready for inspection by the highway patrol to get them to pass it so I can get a rebuilt title so I can actually ride it. Anyhow I have bought mirrors, levers, front fender and a Kurt brake pedal from people othe board to fix the bike up. Unfortunately the trooper I talked to said that I had to have receipts and or vin numbers from the bike the parts cam off of. Do you have any experience in this or any suggestions? I don't have much time til my inspection so...

Let me know your thoughts

when i went to mine, i explained that i didnt know i needed to keep receipts so i didnt have any...they didnt give me any hassle

and i dont even think the vehicle has to be fully repaired, just "road worthy"...hell, sometimes not even that....there was a guy there when i was down there with a wrx that was still smashed, and they passed it because he stuck some headlights on it

if youre worried about it...put your old fender back on (rash wont matter, as long as its not cracked)...if it cracked, modify it (shave and spray can) to make it look better, or something...doesnt need to be perfect

then go to a bike shop, buy a set of generic universal mirros off the shelf, brake pedal, levers, whatever...just grab something off the shelf thats universal or even something made for your bike

then just return the stuff and keep your original receipt (dont let them mark it up or anything, or when it prints originally ask them if you can get a second copy of it)

then take the receipt with you, pass inspection, go ride...profit

I've done a car but never a bike. I was told they are dicks when it comes to bikes.

my original post in this thread was for my bike

it had been wrecked and repaired in 1997 with 300 miles (still brand new - he only made one payment on it before a stolen car ran a red light and t-boned him) on it....my dad bought it back from insurance and repaired it and never got it inspected...somehow they kept renewing his plates and insurance so he never bothered

i took it in there 11 years later when my dad passed and left it to me, they wouldnt give plates to me unless i got it inspected...it had 17k miles on it and no receipts for anything and they didnt say a second word about it

it was actually a pretty painless process....they seemed pretty cool to me, the inspector talked with me and everything....maybe i got them in a good mood or something...this was in 2009

Edited by Steve Butters

I'm getting ready to go through this myself. No damage to any of the mechanical bits of the bike, but the broken front fairing, torn seat, and scratched up body pannels were enough for the insurance to total the bike. I am only going to have receipts for some bondo, a seat repair kit, and paint since I already had a plastic welder and was able to put the body pannels back together with it. I took pictures of the the repairs so there would be no question when I take it in for inspection. I'm not looking forward to explaining how I rebuilt a "totalled" bike without buying any new pieces.

See I got parts off eBay and I had printed out the paypal transactions and they passed it. I got bumper lights radiator and a engine off of eBay and hood off eBay and they passed. I think moat of the time they are worried about stolen cars being parted out. But may be diff with bikes

when i took mine i told them it was all original parts. It's totalled due to a dent in the frame. Had the frame fixed and they passed it.

of course i had all used plastics, new windscreen, new windscreen brace and some misc. parts. but what helped me was that the plastics i got for cheap were already rashed but usable.

I rebuilt my 96 VF750CD Magna with parts from both regular companies, internet companies, and individuals off ebay. I printed all emails and paypal transactions and receipts from all companies. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes. Passed it right on. NOTE: They will ask you what was damaged and what you replaced. In my case, it was a total due to a frame paint scrape and all the misc small parts damage. I showed them where I repainted the frame and replaced all the damage parts. Also, included all the receipts for all the additional stuff I put on. Probably overwhelmed them with paperwork/receipts.

I've been through this twice, one with a car and one with a bike.

The car was already fixed whe I bought it, so I just took it down for inspection. I told them I bought it like it sits and didn't replace anything myself. It was roadworthy and they stamped it.

The bike was a mess and I did all the work myself. I saved all receipts and did what Myhondas above did- printed Paypal stuff and took it in for them. I had a folder about 1/2" thick. I think I just overwhelmed them.

Ultimately, I think the goal is to ensure the bike is not stolen and stolen parts were not used. I think if you give them something, they're ok with it.

When I had my inspection the inspector did not even look at my receipts. All he did was compare the VIN on the frame and the engine with the salvage title, then bingo - rebuilt title.

I had the same experience when i got a car inspected. just checked the vin a few places to check for stolen parts and made sure it was "road worthy" . real simple process.

When I had my inspection the inspector did not even look at my receipts. All he did was compare the VIN on the frame and the engine with the salvage title, then bingo - rebuilt title.

This is how my bike inspection went as well in Franklin County.

• 9 years later...

Sorry for the old thread revival but there’s some good info here! 

Hi guys, new member here. I’ve got an ‘03 Ducati Monster that was totaled because it was backed into while on the kickstand.  Broke the kickstand, mashed the bars up good, and left a small dent in the tank(which is what caused the “total” designation). Previous owner fixed the bars and I replaced the kickstand. My concern is he also replaced the turn signals, headlight, and tail light with aftermarket ones. The rear tail light/ turn signal combo unit has me very concerned although it says DOT ST(stop/turn signal). It scrolls the turn signal in the side of the tail light on the turning side. Worried they won’t pass inspection. Has anyone dealt with this? Very clean bike otherwise. Guess I should include some pics. Thanks for any help!

I’ll likely be going to the Bucyrus Ohio inspection post if anyone has any info on them as well!

E48F3EBA-65D1-4618-8566-805D6333E192.jpeg

7CB3CEE1-BEC1-4201-AC28-288EB91575EB.jpeg

7148D849-D641-40D2-B646-29F5D351F466.jpeg

It was like 20 years ago when I did this. The thing I remember them being most concerned with were my receipts from the replacement parts. I showed up with the bike in the bed of my truck with no way of unloading it. They looked the bike over essentially and said next time make sure you can unload it. Sent me on my way though with the paperwork to get my title. Good luck. 

Wish I could be of help, but I've never been down this road. Though It'd be great if you could post up your experience once completed. I'd definitely like to hear how it went and what they said did future reference if needed.

Thanks and good luck!