Buying new AR need help

bowdog

Thanks to everyone for all your help... I went over and saw Dale last night, great guy to deal with and talk too. I ended up going with the building me one route. picked up almost all the parts needed last night and should have my upper on Friday! If i can figure this stuped picture posting thing out i will try and post up some pictures when i have built. Thanks again to Dale for all his help in getting me what i wanted.

Love them MOE stocks, that's what I run, except I have a Yankee hill free float tube instead of moe forgrip. Now you need to ditch that carry handle and A-frame and get an eotech and some.flip-up buis.

that is next just have to build some money back up first. :)

Buy a lower on sale somewhere and build your own. That was recommended to me when I did my first one and I was glad because I was more familiar with it and it was easy to do anyway. For the first I would buy the upper complete though but thats up to you. I know Spikes Tactical in FL used to have lowers on sale for 99-119. I seen some for sale on a few sites that were local I thought about buying to build another. They were 100-125 each and that will save on FFL fees buying from an individual, but there are some that do transfers as low as $13 so that really isnt a concern.

Spikes will also do custom engraving on the lower for you if you submit your artwork or image. You can have it color filled as well.

I wouldnt buy an Olympic though and there are several others I wouldnt touch. I know Spikes will warranty for life no matter what. I bought most my stuff from them and the upper was a complete piston upper with 1 piece bolt carrier and stainless steel barrel melonite coated inside and out (so its black outside like a reg. AR not silver), they said no matter what ammo I shoot even Wolf steel cased, it doesnt matter, Lifetime warranty on everything I bought from them!

I had looked at a few brands before that and called to find out warranty and they all said no wolf ammo (which I have never used anyway) nor steel cased etc.. and no major mods like a bolt on or pin on piston setup etc....

I like some of CMMG's stuff too, decent deals. I am thinking about trying out the Roller Cam Pin from POF-USA in mine. I love the piston setup though, no dirty fouling inside the chamber etc... Easier to clean. I would like a POF-USA Piston upper next maybe (but the upper is about $1600 retail).

About sights in last post, that is what i did. I bought iron sights only and still have yet to add anything else on it but am deciding now which way I want to go for holographic with detachable magnifier or a 1x-4x or 2x-7x scope etc... I have PRI flip up irons and love them.

If your on a budget though, I have read decent stuff about DPMS, just not everyone says good stuff about them from speaking with people. of course that is with anything. I think I ended up with about $1000 in my build before I added the DD Omega Rail to it which I bought on sale. I purchased the PRI irons on ebay for like $110 for the set.

I seen a little mod online I did for the trigger guard to eliminate the roll pin for the trigger guard. You dont have to worry about messing up and breaking the ears off of the lower either (even though if the roll pin is put in with the ears supported it wont break them).

Drill and tap a magpul or Spikes aluminum trigger guard and insert 5-40 threaded inserts (I think that is right have to get them out and check) into the trigger guard where the roll pin would go through on the trigger guard. Now attach the trigger guard with 5-40 socket head cap screws with blue or purple locktite on them. looks clean too. I think the threaded end of the magpul guard may use a 4-40 screw though. have to check.

Will post pics later.

Edited by D190

Learn to shot irons before investing in the fancy shit

Thanks my father bought me my first gun when i was seven and that was after proving to him that i could carry my BB gun while hunting rabbits with him safely. 20 gauge single shot, still have today and will always have...long story short i have been shooting with iron sites for sometime, just turned 29 end of july. ;)