The rioting in England, a foreshadow of what's to come here?

Casper

yeah I don't think we are quite there yet. I'm truly saddened by what's coming for this country. It makes me sad to think what my girls lives are going to be like. Hopefully things turn around, but the current path we are on does not look promising. There is more I am thinking but, don't really feel like typing it out. Let's just say shit is going to get very interesting in the next few years. I hope it turns around, but otherwise, I'll be hiding out in the hills of PA.

Chris Rock had a bit on SNL during the LA riots. This reminds me of it, instead of affecting the people that caused this mess, the rioters merely sunk their areas further into depression.

I think that will be the major difference between elsewhere and America. It won't be a riot, it will be a full out rebellion, with little "mindless violence" and much more concerted effort. Otherwise nothing will change, and the powerful will grow even more powerful and even less accountable.

I think that will be the major difference between elsewhere and America. It won't be a riot, it will be a full out rebellion, with little "mindless violence" and much more concerted effort. Otherwise nothing will change, and the powerful will grow even more powerful and even less accountable.

Very true.

I'm old enough to have seen it happen many times in the USA. Including right here in Columbus.

Just remember that what gets burned down, might just stay that way, and you have to live with it.

Nothing might ever be built to replace it when it's gone.

I refer to my vehicle gun as my "Reginald Denny" gun. No one's going to drag me out of my truck. Are we headed that way? I hope not, but people are volatile.

I always keep a long gun in my personal vehicle too. When the things people believe they are "entitled " to stop arriving it could get ugly. I think we are a ways away from it tho.

my dad has been on this huge "we are going to have a civil war" kick. At first I kind of thought he was nuts but he is starting to look more sane every day. I don't think my mom know about half the guns he has bought in the past year. I really can't complain since I will end up getting them anyways.

You got it backwards. This is just the UK's LA riots. The difference is that in the LA riots were prompted by footage that was difficult to refute at the time whereas the shooting in the UK could go either way. Bear in mind that the average Brit is very anti-gun and the idea of the police using a gun against a citizen is always widely condemned regardless of the specifics of the situation. Any exhonoration of the police officer is considered an irrelevance that is probably not even going to be reported.

Yeah, they'll give the police guns, expect them shoot bad guys then the politicians will hang, draw and quarter them publicly to appease the voters - even if the shoot was justified.

But the rioting here is nothing to do with the shooting. It's just a bunch of criminals who are using safety-in-numbers to get what they want. It happens the world over, has happened for ever and will continue to happen. This is not a 'sign of the times', this is just criminals taking advantage.

I'm for a much stronger response from the police. The British government doesn't want to appear like they are cracking down like in Tiannemen Square, but if the alternative is to sit by and watch the criminals then that's no bloody good either.

I have no problem with water cannons to disperse crowds that are not using weapons or threatening anyone's safety, and baton rounds as needed to preserve safety.

But at the end of the day what are they doing? They are destroying their own towns, their own stores and their own communities. And they they will expect the taxpayer to build them up again, to re-stock the shops they looted.

Marshall law, man. If a shopkeeper wants to stand guard in his shop with an AR15 then I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. You're ruin a man's livelihood because you want to use a police incident as an excuse to get a new TV? If I owned a store in that area I'd be moving the merchandise out.

Flood the area with riot police, arm them with something effective (I think the police throw wet tea bags right now)

Did I say water cannon? I mean OC cannon.

Edited by Scruit

You got it backwards. This is just the UK's LA riots. The difference is that in the LA riots were prompted by footage that was difficult to refute at the time whereas the shooting in the UK could go either way.

Were you here when those riots occurred? The riot wasn't about the footage it was about the not guilty verdict that was given to the officers involved. The rioters didn't respect the court system and decided to harm others who weren't responsible. They should have gone after the prosecutors because had they charged the officers properly a guilty verdict would have been very easy to achieve but they decided to charge them with a crime they didn't commit.

Chris Rock had a bit on SNL during the LA riots. This reminds me of it, instead of affecting the people that caused this mess, the rioters merely sunk their areas further into depression.

I agree.

Some people have common sense and other have stupid sense.

If a shopkeeper wants to stand guard in his shop with an AR15 then I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. You're ruin a man's livelihood because you want to use a police incident as an excuse to get a new TV? If I owned a store in that area I'd be moving the merchandise out.

In my mind, this is the secondary principle behind our Second Amendment rights.

#1 is the ability (albeit an illusion at this point) to fight a tyrannical government,

#2 is the ability to defend yourself and your property when the police powers cannot, or will not.

My wife doesn't like firearms. I want to ask her, "what would you do if this were happening 3 blocks from our house?"

There are thousands of shop owners and residents in these neighborhoods who also thought it would never happen to them. I think the difference between liberals and conservatives here is that the liberals are sad that things like this happen. Conservatives are angry. (but that might just be me projecting the difference of opinion my wife and I would likely have!)

The rioting wasn't about the verdict - if it was they why did they smash and loot in their own neighborhoods?

They'll say it was about the verdict, but at the end of the day it's just criminals being criminals knowing they won't get caught if they are one of 10k criminals out there.

What about the verdict entitles one black man to ransack a store owned by another black man and put him out of business?

If they only attacked police stations, courts or other symbols of the power they accuse of opressing then then I can understand the thinking (although still not an excuse). But the overwhelming majority and just opportunistic bottom-feeders looking to make a quick buck while the police are overwhelmed and ineffective. Looters should be shot on sight. That would stop them.

In my mind, this is the secondary principle behind our Second Amendment rights.

#1 is the ability (albeit an illusion at this point) to fight a tyrannical government,

#2 is the ability to defend yourself and your property when the police powers cannot, or will not.

My wife doesn't like firearms. I want to ask her, "what would you do if this were happening 3 blocks from our house?"

There are thousands of shop owners and residents in these neighborhoods who also thought it would never happen to them. I think the difference between liberals and conservatives here is that the liberals are sad that things like this happen. Conservatives are angry. (but that might just be me projecting the difference of opinion my wife and I would likely have!)

I don't see the london shooting as evidence of a tyrannical government. At least not until i see the result of the inquest. The IPCC is no a police group - they are wholly independent. and the police hate them.

Edited by Scruit

Totally disagree. When anything gets out of sync, these animals riot. Hurricane!! Let's steal and burn shit! America's rebellion won't be me shooting at 20 year-old Marines. It will be me protecting my home from those who would threaten.

Man that just sucks..

What type of force are they using to stop them?

Have they considered using a high pitched sound? There is a frequency that only teenagers hear that is very painful to them. just throwing my .02 in here.

The rioting wasn't about the verdict - if it was they why did they smash and loot in their own neighborhoods?

They'll say it was about the verdict, but at the end of the day it's just criminals being criminals knowing they won't get caught if they are one of 10k criminals out there.

What about the verdict entitles one black man to ransack a store owned by another black man and put him out of business?

If they only attacked police stations, courts or other symbols of the power they accuse of opressing then then I can understand the thinking (although still not an excuse). But the overwhelming majority and just opportunistic bottom-feeders looking to make a quick buck while the police are overwhelmed and ineffective. Looters should be shot on sight. That would stop them.

I totally agree that it was a bunch of bottom feeders but the riots were about the verdict and not the video. It was about fourteen months from the video to the verdict, if the video upset the dumbfucks so much they had plenty of time to burn the town down in that time.