how to trip green lights

Das Borgen

Haha this is the same thing I do I pull up further then tell them where and when to stop lol good stuff they always give me the greatest looks

thats what i always have to do half the time they look at me like im stupid

I'm confused about how a magnet increases the amount of conductive material on a motorcycle.

Isn't that the explanation they gave for why the bike won't trip the sensor in the first place?

The sensors they use for red light cameras don't seem to struggle with seeing motorbikes. Just replace the green trigger with that same type of sensor.

if you have a problem light, call ODOT or the city, or whoever operates the light. they need to come out and adjust it.

traffic lights are supposed to work for all vehicles.

if you have a problem light, call ODOT or the city, or whoever operates the light. they need to come out and adjust it.

traffic lights are supposed to work for all vehicles.

This assumes the government gives a fuck.

I've bitched about a troublesome light on the way home several times, and it's still fucked up. It seldom trips with my truck, never with the bike.

FYI, report the problem so that it hopefully gets fixed:

COLUMBUS (April 29, 2009) - As more Ohioans choose motorcycles and scooters as their primary means of transportation in warmer weather, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is taking special steps to ensure their safety at intersections across the state.

Over the past several months, ODOT has worked closely with the American Motorcycle Association to target automated traffic signals that are not sensitive enough to recognize when a motorcycle or scooter is waiting for a light to change. Frustrated bikers or the drivers in cars behind them may choose to run the red light, putting them and other motorists at serious risk.

Last year there were 60 intersection-related motorcycle fatalities, representing nearly a third of all motorcycle fatalities in Ohio.

To enlist the help of Ohio’s motorcyclists, ODOT has set up a special phone number - (614) 387-0722 - and email address - bike.report@dot.state.oh.us - for motorcyclists to report these problem intersections.

ODOT will then notify signal owners - often a city or county - about the problem and offer recommendations, such as increasing the sensitivity of the in-ground loop detectors which trigger the signal. Another possible solution is to paint symbols on the pavement where motorcyclists should stop to activate the loop detector.

ODOT will update the state’s construction specifications later this summer to improve traffic signal safety at future intersections. Any new signals that are paid for using federal or state transportation money will be required to follow the updated specifications, which will include improved layout and sensitivity requirements for loop detectors.

More info:
The Problem

Traditional signal detection uses loops or electrical wires in the pavement that trigger a signal to change when it detects metal at an intersection. Because bicycles and motorcycles have far less metal than cars and trucks, some traffic signals fail to detect riders. And, if a signal won’t work, riders are forced to wait for another vehicle or continue through an intersection illegally on a red light.

In addition, traditional loops have hot and cold spots that are difficult for riders to trigger. If a bicycle or motorcycle stops in the middle of a loop, the signal won’t recognize the rider. If the bicycle or motorcycle stops on top of the loop, it may trigger the signal, but only if the rider knows where the loop is located.

I was getting pretty pissed off at this so I went and bought one of those magnets at the Pony. I got the one for $20 since they claimed more people had better luck with that one. Long story short, it doesn't work. Been stuck at several lights after mounting it. I'm not one to run red lights so I just wait until a car pulls up behind me and I wave them forward.

Never had a problem activating a light with a bike, learned in MSF where to stop. Have had trouble in my truck in the winter when you can't tell where the lane is. When you come to the conclusion that it's not picking you up you treat it as a malfunctioning traffic signal and run the light.

At the ones with wires in the ground ive taken my tank bag off and laided it next to the bike and that usually works..but there are few lights in mount vernon that have these new optical sensors on the pole they don't see small vehicles either

I have one light on the way to work and ive noticed a guy on a harley can trip it and i cant. Ill sit through it one time and either run it if i dont see any headlights, or if i do i will just turn right and then turn around in a parking lot easier then risking the ticket

Stop right on top of the sensor and 'blip" the motor just a little, or stop and restart the bike, the starter makes a pretty big field, and the rotating parts spinning faster disrupt more lines of flux

Stop right on top of the sensor and 'blip" the motor just a little, or stop and restart the bike, the starter makes a pretty big field, and the rotating parts spinning faster disrupt more lines of flux

hmm... never thought of that. :rolleyes: