Motorcycle Indecision... help!

accel_is_my_drug

ARGHHH!!

I thought I was decided on a newer FZ1 to replace my old VFR when all of a sudden a mint RC51 appeared that a friend is trying to sell. he wants a bit much for it, but I have always wanted one.

I was all set to pick up the FZ1, and I still think it is the more practical purchase, but the RC51 is so drop dead sexy, I'm having second thoughts.

I don't really take long touring rides anymore, and for the most part would take the long way to work on back roads and the occasional weekend trip to 555 or something like that. The old half of me thinks an upright naked FZ1 would be fast enough to be fun, and comfortable enough to enjoy riding daily. But the RC51 is so drop dead sexy, I just can't resist....

What would you get, an FZ1 or spend mroe than you originally wanted to and get the RC51?

like you i LOVE RC51's. Rode one once just a couple miles and immediately knew that if I ever got one it would be a garage/picture/bike night queen and thats about it. I'd still love to own one but that will be saved for the day I have too much money and don't know what to spend it on

My suggestion is go with practicality

I know....

I just can't decide....... I know the FZ1 is a smarter purchase, but I'm afraid I would regret it over the RC51. Even if the RC51 is super uncomfortable, I don't think I'd ever regret getting the bike, and it probably has a better resale value...

Honestly...

The way that I see it (in most scenarios), a motorcycle is a toy. A well-researched impulse purchase that appeals to the non-practical side. With that being established, why not purchase something that stirs the soul and speaks to your most primal desires?!!?

Granted the RC is hot and uncomfortable as fcuk... And there are other bikes on the market that I absolutely lust over... It's one fun, very capable bike, and I wouldn't give it up in order to get any of the bikes out there that I currently want.

rc's arent uncomfortable.

They aren't exactly comfy either. I've had mine for quite a few years. I'm 5'11 190 and pretty flexible/limber, and the first couple of rides of the season, I feel like I'm on a torture rack. My body eventually gets used to it.

The main culprits (all of which are easily remedied):

1. Leather wrapped slab of granite for a seat (seriously, I have a few squares of Cottonelle that are softer).

2. Rigid Suspension (I have mine set pretty stiff, and vow to dial it in should I ever start to track the RC)

3. Ergos (low clip-ons, high pegs). Just get adjustable rearsets (I'm too cheap for that).

Ull regret it if u go fz, if the rc makes u feel like that. Do some stretchs start working out and add some creature comforts to the rc- helibars, rearsets, grip puppies, and a small air hawk seat cushing.....all can b quickly added, reset or removed quickly. Enjoy and no regrets!

I rode my uncles RC51, thought it was more comfortable than my 03 R6.... he has a ton of mods, the ones that count are the sato rearsets he has, not sure how he has them set though. I'm 145 and 5'9"...