WTF is this on my tire...

SWing'R

Getting ready to wash the bikes when I spotted this on my tire,

wtf is this, it's like a slice and bunch of littler scratches???

Is this something I need to be concerned about? I got these tires

at the beginning of last season.

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=14144

picture.php?albumid=503&pictureid=14145

Tough question. The radial mark is very strange. I can think of no reason for a mark like that. None that should exist, anyway. The part that looks like a scuff mark isn't too worrisome, except that I wouldn't expect a tire to scuff so easily. It looks a bit blistered, which is also part of the mystery. My worry would be the actual tire compound consistency, and the method of manufacture. More info please, tire manufacturer and model type.

You'll have to watch this spot for changes. Apparently it developed fairly rapidly.

edit: and remind me to eyeball it the next time I'm around...

Are you sure you did not over inflate the tire at some point?

I believe I run 34 in front and 36 on the rear, this is the rear tire. Never put in any more than that.

Tom I'll go look and see the brand.

It would take a lot of over inflation. Remember that when the bike is in motion and warms up (a lot), the tire pressures go quite high, compared to the base pressures the tire started with.

Tom, the tires are Dunlop Roadsmart's. I found the receipt, they were put on

on 4/3/2010 with my mileage at 5791 at time,. I have 10,500 now so they

have 4,709 miles on them.

I was planning on heading down to IND Motorsports to see about getting

my chain serviced so I'll have them look at it.

I've got two rear roadsmarts. I'll look at those for anything odd. I sort of remember some internet talk about problems with roadsmarts (dual compound tires in general) back when they first came out, but nothing after that. Dunno now...

ok, because it's kinda blistering and scuffed on just one side of the radial mark, I'm going out on a limb and suggest that the softer compound on the side of the roadsmart is starting to debond/delaminate (come apart as originally vulcanized). That takes forever on a car to get bad. Not sure how long on a bike.

Edited by ReconRat

It looks like where the two halves of the mold come together. I would have someone take a look at it, it may be a defect in the tire.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I got em at IP last year, I have the receipt, I think I'm gonna ride up there and have them look at it.

Ok so IP and Ind Motorsports both agree that the cut and scuffs are superficial and not not deep enough

to warrant a safety concern and should just wear thru with normal tire wear.

I'm wondering if I didn't do this when I locked my rear up last season when I almost bit it on Rt 60.

Its more on the left side of the tire and when I slid I slid left twice and right once :dunno:

that is definately were the mold of the tire comes together.

ie had it happen to me on a rear tire as well.. i think it was a roadsmart as well.

i still road on it, but kept an eye on it. nothing ever came of it, tire got worn out and i changed it.

ie had it happen to me on a rear tire as well.. i think it was a roadsmart as well.

i still road on it, but kept an eye on it. nothing ever came of it, tire got worn out and i changed it.

Thanks for the info. Figured it had to be mold mark to be radial, but have never seen one wear at the mold line. I wonder if either of mine will do that.

:cheers: Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it, both places kinda said to just watch it too.

I've got two rear roadsmarts. I'll look at those for anything odd. I sort of remember some internet talk about problems with roadsmarts (dual compound tires in general) back when they first came out, but nothing after that. Dunno now...

Dual compound note:

I run Bridgestone Battlax BT45's on the Ninja and the Hon-duh, which are dual compound rears. The only thing of interest that I've seen is a pair of lines around the circumference of the tire, where the different compounds meet, once the tires are pretty close to worn out.

Quit being a puss... ride your bike to the Tittay club next time... we'll have one of the girls rub her crack on it make it all better..lmao

You know you've purposely avoided telling me how the rest of that night went. Hiding something :dunno: Please tell :D

Just watch it. Under load, the spilt can get worse. If you are somewhat aggressive of a rider, that type of slit can get bad fast. On the track, that would be cause to be replaced... Street shouldn't be a huge issue, but take a peek and watch over it...