Found coonhound. Going to the pound soon

Gump

Just putting this out there if I can't find the owner. I can't keep him. I'll probably take him to the pound saturday if no one claims him or wants him. Found near Harlem Springs, I about ran him over then he followed me and wanted in the truck lookin lost and confused.coondog.jpg

photo-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Don't take it to a pound! Find a local Humane Society instead, that pup deserves a chance!

Edit: I also showed this picture to one of the ladies I work with that shows coon hounds so she's spreading the word.

Edited by gidet

How's his temperament? Does hey obey basic commands? Does he get along with other dogs, kids? If I convince my fiance its a rescue and he's well mannered I may be able to take him off your hands. I love coon hounds.

He's normal around kids. I just stuck him in the barn last night so I don't know anything about his skill sets. He might belong to a distant coonhunting neighbor who's hard to get a hold of if he got new dogs.

Get the word out in that area. Many dogs ran away during the 4th July fireworks.

But that was 3 or 4 days ago, and may have traveled far.

Check close for ID or microchips and stuff.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jul/06/holiday-fireworks-fills-shelter-lost-dogs-ar-592175/

Get the word out in that area. Many dogs ran away during the 4th July fireworks.

But that was 3 or 4 days ago, and may have traveled far.

Check close for ID or microchips and stuff.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jul/06/holiday-fireworks-fills-shelter-lost-dogs-ar-592175/

I agree with this...

A lot of dogs can handle gun fire and other loud noises but the boom of some of the fireworks are more then they can handle.

we've fostered two coonhounds, and the only thing that kind of got on my nerves about them was their need to bark at squirrels after they'd "treed" them.

I'd bring the dog inside, and then the next time we went back out (hours or even a day later), the coonhound will run directly back to where it last saw the squirrel :D

But both of ours were really gentle. Almost timid around kids, like they were worried they'd accidentally bump into them and hurt them.

He seems like good tempered dog. Would take some handling to teach him manners. I'm betting he's a tied to a box dog.My grandpa had one them dogs that would tree groundhogs and would not leave the tree. It almost died once from exhaustion cause it stayed At the stupid tree 80 acres away from the house for three days. I think it's like man whores and women. It's in the blood.

Make sure he's flea free and I'll take him in and work with him for you so you can have a good mannered dog. Can't help with the instincts though. Those are too strong lol. My lab is obsessed with squirrels. It sometimes takes him a few minutes before he'll listen. It's like a (straight) man's penis when he sees a hot naked woman. Not matter how much you try, you won't likely be able to concentrate on anything else for a minute or two.

Squirrels? Hell, one of my dogs jumped out the window of a moving car when she saw a squirrel. Didn't do that again...

LOL WOW! Dakota almost tipped my canoe because of a f-ing butterfly about 500 ft away once. THAT I will never understand lol. He's never cared about butterflies before. Hope your dog was ok!

Wierd legs but he's strong as a mule

Handsome and happy pup. He does look extremely strong! Looks pretty young too. Not sure if it's the angle of the picture, but one of his femurs looks shorter than the other. Bet he can eat his weight in chow too!

Squirrels? Hell, one of my dogs jumped out the window of a moving car when she saw a squirrel. Didn't do that again...

Mine jumped out of my car while moving like 10. I held onto the leash and the ladies walking out of the store had terrible looks on their faces so I thought he was hanging there mangled and let go. Damn dog took off and ran into home goods store. Same dog fell out a second story window and found him swimming in a pond. If your going to be dumb gotta be tough.

Way to go picking him up. Hopefully you can find an owner.

Edited by Mykill
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to take him to the vet and see if they can scan him. I'm getting a bad feeling about an owner showing up.

Is anyone really interested in him?

Edited by Gump

• 2 months later...