Ice Cream Rides - I Need New Destinations

Jcarlson

When the Mrs. and I take our rides our stopping points/destinations are ice cream stands. We don't drink while on the bikes so that's what we've decided to do instead. We try to find a new one each time but we have our favs.

We like to stay NE Central Oh area - Johnstown, Utica, Mt Vernon, Sunbury, Alum Creek. We live in Westerville so we primarily stay east of 71, north of 161 so anything in those general directions is fair game.

However, if it's within 2hrs of home and accessible by back roads we're there. She's a newbie rider and not ready for the highways yet, but I wouldn't ride her GS450 on the highway anyway, let alone expect her to do it, so back raods it's got to be (they're more fun anyway).

We prefer the small town mom & pop places that have been around since dirt was new, but DQ, Friendly's, and Greaters aren't out of the question.

Our current list of places includes - Whit's in Sunbury & Johnstown, Kent's in Mt Vernon, Velvet in Utica, Creme Corner & Hershey's in Sunbury, Sticky Fingers in Galena (Alum Creek & Cheshire).

We need some new destinations. Can anyone help us out? Where have you been and what's their signature scoop if they have one?

Anything near Loudenville perhaps?

not too far from you, but The Dairy Hut in pataskala has the best soft serve ive ever had....they have a ridiculous amount of flavors and a great german chocolate one...living in westerville you already have the best ice cream in the world, no need to travel lol (knights ice cream at cleveland and schrock)

In Delaware there's one at 42 and south sectionline rd. I can't remember the name. Near the 36/37 split on the 37 side there is dairy point. In town there is the dairy depot I believe its on n. Sandusky street. Out in the town of ostrander on 36 there's a shell station called midway market and they have a great ice cream shop inside. Then in the towns of prospect and waldo they have ice cream shops but I don't know the street names.

If you run towards Carrollton then 43 towards Stuebenville (stupidville) there is a private icecream place on the corner in Harlem Springs at the rest area.

not too far from you, but The Dairy Hut in pataskala has the best soft serve ive ever had....they have a ridiculous amount of flavors and a great german chocolate one...living in westerville you already have the best ice cream in the world, no need to travel lol (knights ice cream at cleveland and schrock)

I keep forgetting about Knights. I keep meaning to try them out. I work right around the corner from there now.

Velvet is pretty cool in Utica, can grab something to eat there as well, sometimes they have live bands and a hayride! :)

Great idea...

This has been the destination on a ride or 2.

http://www.tomsicecreambowl.com/

Zanesville Ohio. Its been at that location since 1948.

I might have to go back this week.

Very good ice cream and Easily to get to via back roads from westerville. You can take state route 40 all the way into Zanesville. Hang a looey at the Y bridge and about a mile and a half you will go under I70, turn left at the next road and Toms is on the Left.

There is also a place in Hebron, I cant think of the name??? Might be Clay's?

Totally forgot about Utica. The ice cream festival they put on is always a hit.

I haven't eaten at their restaurant but I hear good things and something about an indoor waterfall?

http://www.velveticecream.com/mill/ye_olde_mill.asp

I missed the festival this year. Memorial Day weekend. Dang!!!

WOW!! This seems to be a hit!! I guess it shows that no matter how big, bad, and ugly your are you're still a sucker for ice cream. Ya just need to unlock your inner kid - LOL.

I've been to Tommies in Z-ville but not on my bike. That is the ultimate "Old Skool" ice cream shop. It's like you just stepped out of (or into) the 40's.

Knight's IS da bomb!!! For those that have never been, go there and get a Knight Stick. It's basically a nutty buddy but homemade. It's a small little joint located at Cleveland Ave & Schrock Rd, just north of I-270 & Cleveland Ave by St Ann's Hospital. Keep your eyes peeled though as it's tucked in a little tiny house behind CVS.

Thanks for the tips guys - keep em comin!!

Knight's IS da bomb!!! For those that have never been, go there and get a Knight Stick. It's basically a nutty buddy but homemade. It's a small little joint located at Cleveland Ave & Schrock Rd, just north of I-270 & Cleveland Ave by St Ann's Hospital. Keep your eyes peeled though as it's tucked in a little tiny house behind CVS.

Thanks for the tips guys - keep em comin!!

Thanks for the recommendation! Like I said, right around the corner from work! :)

These are a little out of your range, but The Town Trolley is definitely worth the trip.

Town Trolley

6700 Lima Street, Huntsville, OH 43324

A friend of mine owns it, and I think they still do a really sweet deal on Banana Splits on Sundays. And while you're in the area, you might as well hit up Casano's Pizza in Russels Point.

I haven't stopped in, but there's Lombardi's on Rt 23:

6251 South High Street

Lockbourne, OH 43137

Well.. I suppose i will do my monthly log in.. Been having problems lately and its just easier to not see everyone posting, and having fun. You dont care about all that.. You care about ice cream!

From Westerville.. Head out past the zoo, stay along the East side of the river... And there is (or used to be) a really nice ice cream place out in Prospect. I havent been there for awhile.

Not sure of all the names of roads..from memory it would be.. Straight North down riverside/257. There are several little pull off areas down there.. Several are good for pictures, or picnics. Personally, I like the last one the best.. I believe it is Park P. Also, there is the Scioto Park, depending where at you jump on riverside from. It's always nice to get a pic in front of the Leatherlips statue. That thing is pretty cool.

Go Straight across Rt42 to Klondike rd. Not much traffic from here on out. (Sadly, since I have been very inactive lately.. But Cooter lived just a few minutes from there.. He still might. I won't name the actual road due to his privacy!)

Take that all the way to rt36. Turn left down 36 for a few hundred ft.. And then turn Rt onto... Warrensburg rd (name might be wrong). You will come to a stop sign about 2 miles down the rd. There are some nice orange flowers by the bridge there. Usually, the trees (some are Mulberry trees if you like those) on the other side of the road, can provide enough shade if you need a break.

Turn Rt. Staying on warrensburg rd. Less than a mile, sharp right hander (15 or 25mph type), then a couple hundred feet up a hill you,

Turn Left onto Hodges rd. Another mile down the rd,

Turn Left on 37, for maybe 500ft.

Turn Right onto River Rd. The first mile there, is almost like you are driving through a tunnel of trees. It's probably my favorite part. There is a small pull off area for pics along the river.. Or often you can just park in the center on the rd. for pics. Anyways, you get to stay on River rd for probably 10 miles now. There is a stop sign, you cross over Radnor rd, and there is a Y in the road, you just stay left. Real easy.

You run into a stop sign at 203/main st, you turn Left for .1 miles or so,

then branch off to your Right onto Elm St.

It's less than .5 miles down the road, on your left hand side. I don't remember then name off hand.

Notable mentions. Waldo is close to Prospect.. They have the semi-famous G&R tavern. Famous for fried bologna sandwiches of all things.

There is also a Blues Creek Preserve, (outside of ostrander) and a Galant Nature Preseve (few miles NW of delaware) both are a nice little quiet place to stop. They both have little hiking trails as well.

From Scioto park, to Prospect.. Going the speed limit, (which is under 55 in several places), I would guess it would be a 1 hour ride, each way. It is just a nice, easy, laid back, scenic type of route, with usually very little traffic. It is at it's best, during spring and fall, when the flowers are blooming, and the leaves are changing. Women really seem to enjoy that route from my experience. It's also a popular route for bicycles. Last I was on those roads.. There was some gravel in a couple of the curves, but going the speed limit, I had no problem avoiding any of it.

If I managed to screw up the names of the roads.. I'm sorry.. The turns should be accurate though! If you can't figure it out on google, let me know. It's a good way to spend a couple hours, or could make a day of it if you wanted to stop at some of the parks. Blues Creek Presere is a pretty nice place to stop, but the bathrooms are horrible! Galant Nature Preserve has normal bathrooms, but not as big of a place as Blues Creek!

If you need one.. It is within my current mileage range, and I could play tour guide.. Or I'm sure Cooter knows all those roads too!

:busa:

Edited by danballa