Clutch cable routing on '05 GSXR600

knedrgr

I have a friend that just picked up an 05 GSXR600, and it looked like the prior owner FUBAR the clutch cable install. It still works, but the routing is all jacked up, so the pull is just stupid heavy.

Anyone have a picture of their 05 and how the cable should route?

Thanks for the help!

GSXR service manuals:

http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/

Sadly, it does not show exactly where the cable runs. If it were a Honda manual, it would show exactly where the cables go. It appears from photos to turn down between the front forks, swing down and along the left side of the engine, to the clutch throw. But it's really hard to tell from just one or two pics of other stuff that might have the cable in view.

I actually just sold my 05 GSXR.... The pulls are really heavy from the get go but it should come up on the left, outside of the frame to the neck and thru the steel bracket held to the frame by a 10mm bolt then continues on thru the forks up to the lever. I found that lubing the crap out of the cable seems to do wonders for it FYI lol

GSXR service manuals:

http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/

Sadly, it does not show exactly where the cable runs. If it were a Honda manual, it would show exactly where the cables go. It appears from photos to turn down between the front forks, swing down and along the left side of the engine, to the clutch throw. But it's really hard to tell from just one or two pics of other stuff that might have the cable in view.

Thank so much! Great site!

My clutch cable got so bad it quit moving. I bought a new one. It happened so slowly over time, I sort of didn't notice it till one day I realized it wasn't releasing, and I was actually pushing it. Bad.

true, but when I researched it, I was surprised to find more riders converting from hydraulic to cable. Not cable to hydraulic.

Really? Wonder if that's mainly for "race" applications for easy replacement and a little weight savings?? I know that ( at least in the past ) 600's were typically cable clutched - 1000's and up were typically hydro........but seems anymore, aren't most all newer sportbikes hydro? Either way, I'd rather hydraulic - it's a safer system IMO.

Really? Wonder if that's mainly for "race" applications for easy replacement and a little weight savings?? I know that ( at least in the past ) 600's were typically cable clutched - 1000's and up were typically hydro........but seems anymore, aren't most all newer sportbikes hydro? Either way, I'd rather hydraulic - it's a safer system IMO.

All of that, for mostly race track. Better feel and action of the clutch, is what I gathered most were after. I was looking to see if any of the fireblade hydraulic clutch parts might bolt onto my engine. Instead I just forgot about it and bought a spare clutch cable to have ready.