Just wondering

OhioBob

What could be done, if even possible, to lighten the SV1000 or FZ1, besides aftermarket pipes and maybe wheels? I know it will never be a full blown sportbike, especially the weight, but I am wonder about trimming weight to get it down to 450lbs ish wet. That probably isn't even possible, huh? Would swapping the SV1000 stock front forks with GSXR750 help? If so, what year GSXR750 will work with SV1k?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

OhioBob

All Balls has a steering stem conversion chart on their website. Punch in your bike information, and they'll show you all the bikes that use the same bearings.

Everything you don't need, remove from the bike. Everything you can't remove, drill holes into. Everything you can't drill you probably shouldn't touch anyways.

An aluminum gas tank might help save you a few pounds. If you've got the money to spend, BST makes carbon fiber wheels. They're super light, and you'll get a slight increase in power (due to the reduced rotating mass on the rear wheel).

Let us know how it goes.

I would like the sportbike performance (engine - hp/torque, suspension, brakes, lightness, etc) but with better more comfy ergos. So, I was thinking of a CBR954RR with LSL handlebar kit conversion or maybe a SV1k or FZ1.

Just not sure yet, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks.

The Sv1k comes with previous gen gsxr600 forks, fully adjustable, but not upside down forks like most modern bikes -- the sv650 is the nonadjustable bargain bin suspension, not the 1k.

I don't know how much weight, if any, you'd save upgrading the suspension.

Are they heavy? Yes, but if you rode one, you'd find out they carry the weight well and handle ALMOST as good as any middleweight or 1000cc i4 bike. I think you might be putting the cart before the horse here... Unless you're specifically going to race it, I dont know why weight is a serious concern for a standard-type street bike.

Unless you're into fat chicks, or dudes. But, I'm not here to judge.

I guess I should have had a disclaimer on there. Yeah, so a 130 pound babe on the back has little impact on the bike's performance, but the boobs on the rider's back can impact rider performance. :)