bad day leads to crank no start

Jamez

So it was beautiful out yesterday. I rode to work and had an average shitty day.

I looked forwards to leaving work for the ride home. So 6:45 came and I hopped on the bike and began my ride home. I got about 10 miles from work and pulled up to the intersection of Loveland Madiera road and 275 and when the light turned green I started to take off. The bike stalled. At first I thought I may have stalled it but I don't think I did.

I tried cranking and cranking to no avail. I pulled off to the side into Lake Isabella parking lot and tried to figure out what was going on. I figured it was flooded or something so I let it sit for about 20 minutes but still no start. I saw probably 100 cars go by, 6 harley riders, 1 sport bike rider, and 1 scooter rider. Only 1 person stopped to see if I needed help and it was a girl in a car. I finally called my insurance because I have free roadside assistance. I wound up sitting in the parking lot of Lake Isabella until 10:30 at night before the tow truck came.

So then the retard is trying to push my bike up his flatbed ramp by the tail and rear fairings and I say "wooh hold on!" But it was too late. SNAP. He broke all 3 tail covers. Well he said his body shop would repair it so I dropped my peices off today to them. I'm scarred to what they may look like when I get them back.

So NOW...the task of figuring what's wrong. I have compression. I have plenty of fuel and can hear my fuel pump prime. I've checked all fuses with no problems, I've removed the gas tank and found I have spark and plugs look good. Is there anything that will not allow injectors to fire like crank sensor? Or any other ideas that I can check.

2001 Triumph TT600. Haven't had any previous running issues that I'm aware of, just died and now cranks.

- if anyone is a Motorcycle mechanic or knows Triumphs really well please help. I am willing to pay or if you just have any ideas let me know

Edited by Jamez

You got a multimeter to check voltage/amperage? That would tell you if the battery's your culprit - '01 TT is injected? Not sure, dont know Triumphs - check your tank vent? If its clogged, your tank will build vaccuum and starve the system.

Already pulled plugs and it is getting spark.

No pressure in tank, tried to start with fuel cap open already.

Definately not the battery. Its fully charged and new and I already tried a jump pack.

It does crank quite well but doesn't even attempt to fire

I would still throw the thing on a charger over night... When my buddies had starting issues we had tried everything even charger with 50 amp jump setting and it wouldn't start just for the hell of it we put it on charger and next day fired right up never found any other issue so I don't know if it was the battery or just a coincidence.

Could it be a bad new battery?

A bad battery will sink enough power to prevent a jumpstart.

If the fuel pump doesn't kick in when you turn the key / engine switch on, then I'd check the fuse first. In fact, fuses are easy to check so get that out the way first.

And you're sure you have gas in there, right??

why would any of that matter if he's trying to start it WITH It PLUGGED IN? It'll for sure get 12 volts, and all the current it needs.

Have you visually inspected your fuel line? Oil change recently?

A bad battery that is only spitting out 6v itself can sink enough external power to prevent even a wall-powered jumpstarter or external bettery from starting an engine. Ask me how I know. :)

I have charged the NEW battery to full charge. ive tested the battery with a fluke 88 multimeter and found 12.8 volts and also tried to jump start it with a car jump box. MAC tools 12 volt 640CCA jump pack....NOT related to battery.

I have not changed the oil recently ( 2 months ago ). but i do have CORRECT oil level

I have good compression.

I have plenty of fuel and i can hear the fuel pump prime at key on.

I have removed the gas tank and found that i do have spark but replaced the spark plugs anyways since im already there.

Ive checked my throttle cable

bike wont start with kickstand up OR down.

bike wont start in neutral OR gear.

It is NOT trying to fire at all, just cranks

-----> i know im getting fuel up to the rail atleast but have no idea if my injectors are firing. I assume that they are not. I need to figure out reasons why the ECU will shut off the fuel or any other reason why it wont start besides the basic "plugs" and "battery"

thanks for the suggestions though

My thoughts...mabe a bad crank sensor? mabe a bad clutch switch? mabe bad throttle position sensor? mabe im forgetting something?

think of anything else?

Edited by Jamez

If it was a safety lockout (kickstand / clutch etc) then you'd think it would it even try to crank?

ECM fuse?

Does the bike display error messages in the FI has problems? Can you get error codes from a bike like you can from a car?

Do you have access to the testing process for the crank sensor and TPS?

Turn out my crank sensor was gummed up or not aligned right.

The ECU was not allowing the injectors to fire ( thanks to noid light )

As soon as I unplugged it and cleaned and reinstalled it the bike fired right up.

I would up testing many circuits and did some head scratching before I was able to fix it.

I want to say how much I appreciate Joes Cycle in Dayton for the advise. Everytime I've ever called or ordered anything they have gone waaayyy out of their way to help.

• 9 years later...