Muscle Bike Ride

steppenwolf

SW:  Looks like our paths crossed once more without getting to say "Hi" to each other.  Nice shots from the Alley Meet at Fuel.  I was there on my '91 CBR600F2, one of the nicest of it's kind in the region.  Never wrecked, never tracked, all the original tupperware without cracks, and I had just gotten it running a couple of weeks prior after doing a total refresh (minus engine).  Here:

CBRbuild12.jpg

CBRbuild11.jpg

10676319_10153235109254377_7577897904276

About two weeks ago, I was out for a late afternoon ride on one of our last warm sunny days of the fall and wasn't 1/4 mile from home when I hit a deer.  Took out the front fairing, headlight, and bent the cowl stay.  Needless to say, I've spent hours on Ebay and haven't come up with anything to replace the parts. :(  Anyhoo, just a shout out from one old guy to another.  C'ya in the spring?

DSC02090.jpg

MP:  Thx…not a scratch on me.  Full size buck, but I didn't go down somehow.  I was lucky--the deer, not so much.  Found him dead laying in a power line cut about 200 yds from where I hit him.  Small consolation….

Bubba,seems like I did see you and your bike but didn't know what you looked like.I was there on crutches.I am kinda rough looking now but starting to get around a little:-)

I was there with a fellow UJM XS11 rider with his family,they had to carry my coffee for me.I hope to be able to ride there next year as that is my favorite meet and greet.

Do you ever get to the Comet on tuesday nights?

016-17.jpg

As one rider commented we have strayed from the muscle bike theme,maybe we should change the thread title so as not to miss lead any one.I started this  and it is for fun Right?

Do you ever get to the Comet on tuesday nights?

SW:  I get there every so often.  Made it several times in the last few months.  Usually conflicts with my 'old guy' soccer league that plays Tuesday eves.  Defintiely WON'T be there tonight….

It's a question. Trying to get some disambiguation on the term muscle bike...

As an old guy, I think the term is a hold-over from the early era of the UJM--circa early to mid-60s--when displacements jumped quickly from the 250-300 cc to +500 cc, starting with the venerable CB750 and the Kaw Z1 and morphing into such modern monsters as the Yamaha V-Max, Triumph Rocket III, Ducati Diavel, and the like.  In the early 70s, the Honda was king, but as the years have gone by, it seems that a liter and up has become the norm.  If it makes you feel any better, I think all of the bikes in your sig would qualify…but call 'em what you want.

Oh wait….if your Suzuki 'Widowmaker' still has all it's body work, you have to call that one a 'crotchrocket' because that term is so….so….unambiguous.

Edited by Bubba

It's an old guy thing.  Kind'a like '23 skidoo'….we said 'neat-o'….you said 'cool beans' or 'rad' or 'gnarly'….if you were born after about '55-'60, you prolly didn't use the term.  And to your point, you can use any of those terms to describe the same bike.  Frame of reference.

As an old guy, I think the term is a hold-over from the early era of the UJM--circa early to mid-60s--when displacements jumped quickly from the 250-300 cc to +500 cc, starting with the venerable CB750 and the Kaw Z1 and morphing into such modern monsters as the Yamaha V-Max, Triumph Rocket III, Ducati Diavel, and the like.  In the early 70s, the Honda was king, but as the years have gone by, it seems that a liter and up has become the norm.  If it makes you feel any better, I think all of the bikes in your sig would qualify…but call 'em what you want.

Oh wait….if your Suzuki 'Widowmaker' still has all it's body work, you have to call that one a 'crotchrocket' because that term is so….so….unambiguous.

I definitely wasn't implying I had a problem with the thread, and I certainly have no reason to ask for it to be deleted!

This clarifies things.  I just hadn't heard the term "muscle bike" before.  When I hear "muscle car," I think American V8 from the 60's.  When I hear "muscle bike," I initially thought "V-max," but I don't think the term is exclusive to one engine-configuration or manufacturer.

By the same token, 1970's ideas of a "large" engine were different than the modern perspective. 

I definitely wasn't implying I had a problem with the thread, and I certainly have no reason to ask for it to be deleted!

This clarifies things. I just hadn't heard the term "muscle bike" before. When I hear "muscle car," I think American V8 from the 60's. When I hear "muscle bike," I initially thought "V-max," but I don't think the term is exclusive to one engine-configuration or manufacturer.

By the same token, 1970's ideas of a "large" engine were different than the modern perspective.

This, and to add that old muscle cars were only really good at going fast in a straight line, the handling and brakes were shit. So are muscle bikes supposed to be similar? Xs11 is a perfect example: it could accelerate, it could brake and it could steer, but it couldn't do 2 at once. Vmax is another great example, absolute hell in a straight line, way too porky to go fast in the turns.

Sorry about the head Bubba:-)I might have one of ya,I took 40 but it was a little hard because I would drop my left crutch when I looked thru the view finder at times and really tried to make sure I didn't get near a bike and hit it.

Muscle bike..it was just a term I was familiar with,being 60 it is hard some times to keep up with all the new terms. I use sport riders in stead of crotch rockets out of respect,I have been told that is the prefered term..so it is partially an age thing and just a matter of what you call things,like three on the tree,a Goat,four on the floor:-)

The XS is good in a straight line but I have never thought much of the brakes,I upgraded the suspension but still not the best,having a drive shaft which I will never go back to a chain,it really didn't do much jack shafting like the early shaft drives but still not as smooth.

Have 85 on my 11 now,would of had more but had a Wing and KZ 1300 to ride but ended up keeping the 11.It just suits me for my over all style of riding.

Pure muscle bike power......

026-7.jpg

SW:  Once again…crossed paths.  I was at the Comet the night that Yamaha/Star had their road crew there.

For a guy who likes to take pictures, how'd you end up with a pic of the custom fabbed tall-boy bicycles and NONE of the Star girls?  Yer gettin' old, dude….

• 3 weeks later...

Red you are right,the thread title is miss leading,this thing has just kinda went to post a bike picture theme.Bikers are not know to be conformists,we all kinda follow our own road type people and that is why we ride and don't drive a soccer mom's mini van.

A bike is a bike..Wing,Harley,sport bike,scooter,three wheeler etc.It doesn't matter,you are a rider and THAT is what it is all about,we are a club of like minded individuals.

005-31.jpg?t=1399388998

DSC_0167.jpg

009-17.jpg

Lets ride and I shall see you somewhere down the road.

• 1 year later...