How do you deal with road rage?

mgbgt89

Today my friend and I were riding on 70E going towards 71N when this van in the other lane decided it needed over, for no reason at all. This made my friend and I slam on our brakes going not more than 70mph to avoid a crash. I got so pissed off that I sped past my friend so I was side to side with that van and kept honking my horn till they saw me so I could flick them off.

I know it didn't solve anything but damn it felt good.

Today my friend and I were riding on 70E going towards 71N when this van in the other lane decided it needed over, for no reason at all. This made my friend and I slam on our brakes going not more than 70mph to avoid a crash. I got so pissed off that I sped past my friend so I was side to side with that van and kept honking my horn till they saw me so I could flick them off.

I know it didn't solve anything but damn it felt good.

I'd be careful doing that on the 250 had the person driving the van decided to run you over I'm not sure your bike could escape the situation. But way to stand up for yourself.

The first time I experienced a raged driver and was run off the road, I got their license plate, called the police, and waited where it happened. Long story short, if a witness doesn't stop- nothing is going to be done. Absofuckinglutely nothing. The damage to my front fender wasn't from his car- it was from being pushed into an orange barrel. When I started to get irate I was told I could be cited for failure to control....

For the record, that is the same when it comes to assault and battery...

It happened differently the next time I was run off the road. I pulled a kid from a purple Chevy, and I know he won't be doing anything like that crap driving... Again.

Yeah, the law is always a big let down. No help at all. Only time it pays to call anybody is if you're already hurt and need an ambulance.

The first time I experienced a raged driver and was run off the road, I got their license plate, called the police, and waited where it happened. Long story short, if a witness doesn't stop- nothing is going to be done. Absofuckinglutely nothing. The damage to my front fender wasn't from his car- it was from being pushed into an orange barrel. When I started to get irate I was told I could be cited for failure to control....

For the record, that is the same when it comes to assault and battery...

Whenever there is a single vehicle accident the police expect to hear about a "phentom car" that caused it. They will always ticket a single vehicle with failure to maintain control unless you can prove there was another car. Video or witness would do that.

Now, you can't get a ticket handed out to another driver based upon video or witness unless you can prove the identity of the driver... But sometimes the other driver makes that easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DT6_pO9-s0

This happened within 1/4 mile of my house.

Edited by Scruit

I knew a guy that carried a handfull of half inch diameter bolts in his jacket pockets. If anyone messed with him, he would pull in front of them and toss up a couple bolts. Not sure if that is a good idea though.

Silver balls from pinball machines work pretty well. Not that I've ever done such a thing. But I understand they work really well.

One time a friend and I were riding on I-77 and he always had these metal tabs on his boots that sounded like tap dancer's shoes when he walked. This night I found out what they were for besides fights, this car load of guys were messing with us and cut me off so I backed off and passed them on the right as my friend went by on the left, they couldn't block both of us.

When we got past them my friend put one of them tabs on the ground and it looked like one of them ground level fireworks, the sparks showered their car and it was cool as hell. It looked like smoke in a windtunnel only sparks and they backed off about 1/8 mile and never got any closer.

I've never had a problem with a road rager after almost 8yrs of riding but if I could get away from someone, I'd take that route. That's why 1000cc super-sports are great for the streets, or 600's for that matter. I avoid violence because I like it too much. It's best to just twist the throttle and call it a day.

Today I had a person cut me off by turning left to get in front of me. I slowed down when I caught up to them and was kind of annoyed, but whatever. Then they start turning around looking at me, yelling something. The backseat passenger (with a 10 yr old kid next to her - excellent role model) leaned outside the window yelling and flipping me off and then flicked her cigarette at me. I shrugged it off after they turned off. People are stupid and immature :rolleyes:

I'd be careful doing that on the 250 had the person driving the van decided to run you over I'm not sure your bike could escape the situation. But way to stand up for yourself.

Actually, those little dudes can be fairly surprising, if you're willing to flog the hell out of them on the high end of the rpm range. That said, though, their real strength is in maneuverability and decent brakes. A flick of the wrist and she can be a full lane away from them, or tap the lever and let them go by. Good situational awareness (to know where you can safely move) and a solid feel for the bike's light handling are essential, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say for the most part I try to maintain and just ignore them. There is the occasion tho. Guy pulled out in from of me in his creaky old Windstar one day and was doing 10 under. We got next to each other at the next light and I did say to him that if he was going to pull out in front of people he ought to at least have the courtesy to do the speed limit. Then I just stared at him as he looked at me.

Not everyone's choice but if you ride a Harley, relatively few to no one in the Midwest is going to F with you when your riding.

It is kind of sad but I have had all kinds of road rage/bike rage issues when riding my non-USA motorcycles. I only have 1 motorcycle jacket and it is my custom fit Langlitz leather Harley style jacket. I wear it when I ride the KTM and I wore it when I rode my old Honda Shadow and Hyper. Without fail, some asshat in a worn out F150 has to make some kind of "Nice Harley" or "Harley Wanna-be" comment.

As for getting a bigger bike to get away, don't bother as you really can't get away in a safe manner on the streets. Though, I have often given thought to strapping a billy-club to my bars or frame. Tazer seems the best option if they get out of their truck.

Sadly, I never seem to have the Go Pro on or pointing in the direction I need to record the behaviour. Time to put it on the helmet I guess.