What internet do you have?

chevysoldier

Seriously, there is NO WAY I'm going to let a cable company tech TOUCH my computer - AT ALL! There is no reason they should need to!

This, make sure your shit works first. Also, I wouldn't let them walk freely around. I've heard some interesting stories from TW technicians.

Yeah, could be the router. You could connect directly to the modem and see if it runs faster. Or it could be the site just has a shitty upload and then it's not on your end at all.

Ok I tried that and didn't change much at all. I am thinking its just the site now because some are fast while others are rather slow. Oh wells that's the price I pay for free tv

Seriously, there is NO WAY I'm going to let a cable company tech TOUCH my computer - AT ALL! There is no reason they should need to!

BTW... How do you like you 8 core processor? I'm not sure that mine is much better than a good dual core, or quad core.

Your right especially when the problem was still there on the laptops. Next time I know to have em check it on there stuff first. I was there trying to keep a watchful eye on his dumb ass. As far as the 8 core I've had this setup for a few years now. When I purchased this system it was high dollar and still out specs a lot of the new stuff there selling now. It rips a DVD using around 12% of cpu, and you can barely tell it's working when it's burning the dvd. It's the i7 cpu 920 @ 2.67 ghz (8 cpu's) And I currently have 15 gigs of ram and (2) Western digital 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s h/drives. It came with 6 gigs of ram and a 750 gig seagate h/drive, that crashed...

This, make sure your shit works first. Also, I wouldn't let them walk freely around. I've heard some interesting stories from TW technicians.

Sucks we live in this day and age, but your right you cant trust strangers in the home for sure.

Your right especially when the problem was still there on the laptops. Next time I know to have em check it on there stuff first. I was there trying to keep a watchful eye on his dumb ass. As far as the 8 core I've had this setup for a few years now. When I purchased this system it was high dollar and still out specs a lot of the new stuff there selling now. It rips a DVD using around 12% of cpu, and you can barely tell it's working when it's burning the dvd. It's the i7 cpu 920 @ 2.67 ghz (8 cpu's) And I currently have 15 gigs of ram and (2) Western digital 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s h/drives. It came with 6 gigs of ram and a 750 gig seagate h/drive, that crashed...

Sucks we live in this day and age, but your right you cant trust strangers in the home for sure.

I thought the most cores Intel was using was 6? AMD has 8 cores available, such as the one I'm using now.

Ok I tried that and didn't change much at all. I am thinking its just the site now because some are fast while others are rather slow. Oh wells that's the price I pay for free tv

haha lucky you. how do I get free TV? and that sounds about right. some website servers suck!

I thought the most cores Intel was using was 6? AMD has 8 cores available, such as the one I'm using now.

Well it's called a 8 core cpu, Direct X and task manager shows 8 cpu's but technically it's a 4 core processor using Hyper-threading. I guess it fools windows, direct X and most people but not you!

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 15350MB RAM

Page File: 6174MB used, 24633MB available

Ive got road runner through TW and I havent had any problems in 11 months. not one. I can be on Xbox live surfing the net between games while my GF is watching net flix and doing online homework. I think it has a lot to do with the dual band router I bought but the service hasnt cut out either. Also this is with the most basic package. $35 a month.

• 1 year later...

Mine was taken over (bought out) by roadrunner. No longer Insight. Last night the upload speeds went to zero. Appeared to be a data compression failure somewhere. I was about ready to take the cable modem back this morning and trade it. That's a logical first step if it continued. But I just saw that it's back again. Things don't always get fixed after hours. (Or holiday weekends.) edit: Yes, RoadRunner service has been a bit shaky since they bought out Insight.

Running 16-18 down and 1 up.

WOW is cheaper. About half the price. I might be switching.

Edited by ReconRat

Comcast bought Time Warner which is to say they bought Roadrunner. Comcast has long advocated a policy of "Pay to Play" for content providers such as Netflix. Last week Netflix and Comcast reached an un-disclosed agreement regarding peering and bandwidth costs.

Netflix has complained in the past the Comcast was slowing their traffic down as a deliberate tactic trying to get Netflix to pay more than the going rate for traffic over the Comcast network

Rumor has it that Netflix was their first target to get the other content providers to fall in line. With the recent FCC ruling regarding "Net Neutrality" Comcast is free to charge content providers anything they want to deliver their services to their customers. They can legally put Netflix out of business with the recent FCC ruling. Which they heavily lobbied for through various lobbying groups that they support.

Watch for a price increase from Netflix in the near future.

Meanwhile back in Road Runner land. Their "Build-out" or network capacity for local areas is rather famous in the industry for over selling their bandwidth. They have been accused of grossly over inflating their claim of how fast they really are.

From my personal experience with them their service is rather spotty.  One area the speeds are fast,  a mile or two away the speeds are not so good. Their customer service hasn't been consistent giving me the feeling I was often talking to the "New Guy" who didn't have a clue. Often they refuse to believe that the problem is even theirs referring to virus and malware activity on the users end as the problem. Getting a real tech on the line is often so difficult as to make you want to cancel the service entirely and start over again. Pro-tip: When calling them tell them you are a Unix Sysadmin. Blows their minds and the will boot you the next level often getting a better tech on the line.

WOW by comparison has lower rates, faster speeds and doesn't nickel and dime you to death for every little thing such as extra IP addresses.

The sale has not been completed yet. There are a lot of hurdles that have to be cleared before that sale would be finalized. I have a feeling/hope that it will get denied by the DOJ or the FCC.

Edited by tyler524

I have AT&T U-verse and I could not be happier overall with everything so far. I have had Insight, TWC and WOW before, and WOW was the best of the bunch by far. I figured I would give U-verse a try before going back to WOW, and thus far I can see staying with them for the foreseeable future.

Comcast bought Time Warner which is to say they bought Roadrunner. Comcast has long advocated a policy of "Pay to Play" for content providers such as Netflix. Last week Netflix and Comcast reached an un-disclosed agreement regarding peering and bandwidth costs.

Netflix has complained in the past the Comcast was slowing their traffic down as a deliberate tactic trying to get Netflix to pay more than the going rate for traffic over the Comcast network

Rumor has it that Netflix was their first target to get the other content providers to fall in line. With the recent FCC ruling regarding "Net Neutrality" Comcast is free to charge content providers anything they want to deliver their services to their customers. They can legally put Netflix out of business with the recent FCC ruling. Which they heavily lobbied for through various lobbying groups that they support.

Watch for a price increase from Netflix in the near future.

Meanwhile back in Road Runner land. Their "Build-out" or network capacity for local areas is rather famous in the industry for over selling their bandwidth. They have been accused of grossly over inflating their claim of how fast they really are.

From my personal experience with them their service is rather spotty.  One area the speeds are fast,  a mile or two away the speeds are not so good. Their customer service hasn't been consistent giving me the feeling I was often talking to the "New Guy" who didn't have a clue. Often they refuse to believe that the problem is even theirs referring to virus and malware activity on the users end as the problem. Getting a real tech on the line is often so difficult as to make you want to cancel the service entirely and start over again. Pro-tip: When calling them tell them you are a Unix Sysadmin. Blows their minds and the will boot you the next level often getting a better tech on the line.

WOW by comparison has lower rates, faster speeds and doesn't nickel and dime you to death for every little thing such as extra IP addresses.

Looks like I will be switching internet companies soon. Comcast is a bad company. They already charge people in Georgia for GB and if you go over it they charge you a lot like a cell phone. Guess thats the way the internet company wants to go. I will switch to another ISP. Time warner is a bad company as well. So far my internet has been down a total of 46 days since they took over from insight. Also their tech support is horrible and I knew what the problem was and it took them 8 months to resolve the issue when it was the modem. I told them the modem needs to be replaced from the beginning and they would not listen. Had several tech visits and nothing was ever done. Thanks Time Warner Cable for being yet again a horrible company. I would like to go with WoW once they move into my area.

Looks like I will be switching internet companies soon. Comcast is a bad company. They already charge people in Georgia for GB and if you go over it they charge you a lot like a cell phone. Guess thats the way the internet company wants to go. I will switch to another ISP. Time warner is a bad company as well. So far my internet has been down a total of 46 days since they took over from insight. Also their tech support is horrible and I knew what the problem was and it took them 8 months to resolve the issue when it was the modem. I told them the modem needs to be replaced from the beginning and they would not listen. Had several tech visits and nothing was ever done. Thanks Time Warner Cable for being yet again a horrible company. I would like to go with WoW once they move into my area.

Part of Time Warner's charm is that they have exclusive arrangements with some areas. As in you will not get a choice and nobody else will be moving into your area.

Cable and Telco companies have already lobbied and had laws passed in areas outlawing any competition with their de-facto monopolies. This has affected tries for Municipal area networks leaving places with no choice but bad service. Also forget building your own network, that's pretty well shot down too.  

On the other hand the talk of nationwide wi-fi network that pops up every couple of years sounds like a nice option.

Other countries have gigabit networks everywhere, but not here. Sigh...

Buy your own modem and save a few dollars a month?  I wish I had done that LONG ago.  It would pay for itself in just over a year.

More = less

Meanwhile, the cable giant has donated in some way to 32 of the 39 members of the House Judiciary Committee, which is planning a hearing of its own. And Comcast has canvassed the two congressional panels that chiefly regulate cable, broadband and other telecom issues, donating to practically every lawmaker there — including Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.) and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.).

Comcast stresses its donations are a function of its business. “Comcast NBCUniversal operates in 39 states and has 130,000 employees across the country,” said spokeswoman Sena Fitzmaurice. “It is important for our customers, our employees and our shareholders that we participate in the political process. The majority of our PAC contributions are to the senators and members who represent our employees and customers.”

Um, that would be everyone everywhere.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/comcast-cash-spread-wide-on-capitol-hill-104469.html?hp=f2

But will it get you better service?

Edited by Strictly Street

Coming soon to you.

Analysis from Wired.com

http://www.wired.com/business/2014/03/comcast-opinion/

The sum of those Comcast actions is pretty impressive. They can discriminate among programmers on their cable networks, expand their market of those networks to millions more people, and can charge Internet commerce companies for direct access to their newly enlarged service territory.

Once upon a time, government agencies might have been interested in such things. But with the narrow definitions of anti-trust hobbling the Justice Department, the Federal Communications Commission having given away (so far) its authority over broadband and Congress more in the thrall of large companies, it’s almost a certainty that consumers will get the short end of the stick, again.

Graphic of where we are going.

net-neutrality.jpg

Edited by Strictly Street