rear run/turn lights

ohiomike

I just swapped my rear turns for run turns so I would have more running lights to the rear than just the brake light. My turns only were amber too. But I'm thinking red would be better facing back. Just don't know what johnny law requires here in o-HI-o, but thanks

I don't see why red would be a problem' date=' many cars have red turn signals in the back. Actually, probably most cars.[/quote']
I think rear running lights are supposed to be red.

this and this

I don't see why red would be a problem' date=' many cars have red turn signals in the back. Actually, probably most cars.[/quote']

+1

Almost every car I have owned had red turn signals in the rear from the factory. Shouldn't be a problem.

your lens cover has to be red or clear

bulb must be red if clear lens, or if you have a red lens you can use a clear bulb

either way light emited must look red

you can use red color for run/turn/brake on the rear

I would advise sticking with red in the rear.

Cage drivers are usually stupid. If they see a yellow rear light or any other color that the are not used to seeing they might get confused as to your intentions.

I say don't give them another reason to use you as a ramp.

I would advise sticking with red in the rear.

Cage drivers are usually stupid. If they see a yellow rear light or any other color that the are not used to seeing they might get confused as to your intentions.

I say don't give them another reason to use you as a ramp.

I'm in total agreement!

Most states have adopted or are adopting the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, for vehicle lighting.

Read it here:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/49cfr571.108.htm

or google the variety of websites for it here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=631&q=Federal+Motor+Vehicle+Safety+Standard+108&aq=f&aqi=g1g-b1&aql=&oq=

or an ongoing discussion of details of the rules:

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

The big hangups are (as far as I can tell):

1. no colored bulbs allowed under clear tail light lenses.

Basically, clear tail light lenses aren't allowed.

Not sure about turn signals.

2. lenses and side markers must incorporate reflectors or have them mounted separate.

3. rear turn signals can be red or yellow in the back, and front turn signals can be yellow in the front.

4. side markers can be red in the back, and yellow in the front.

5. there are minimum size and brightness requirements.

6. daytime running lights can be white, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow or yellow.

It's a very long and detailed requirement. No one will ever understand it fully.

edit: Ohio only requires a red light to the rear for the tail light. No requirement as to how you get that:

4513.05 Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trackless trolley, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail light mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail light on the rearmost vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General Assembly File No. 9, HB 1, § 101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Same thing for stop light: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.071 Edited by ReconRat

Vehicle manufacturers are currently getting around the rules by using a white bulb under a red lenses inside a clear lenses. With reflectors and/or illuminated side markers added in for style.

phew, lots to read.....got through a portion of it, but the question still lingers.....are blue dots in your rear lenses legal?

Technically, yeah I think so. And Columbus used to enforce it when the hot rod shows were in town. But they got real, and haven't bothered anyone about that, that I've heard of. It was a big deal when they announced they wouldn't be enforcing it anymore. But I haven't heard anything either way for a long time.

edit: use of the blue dot might only apply to vehicles more than 30 years old...

Ohio House Bill 391 attempted to allow "blue dot" use for historical back in 2007-8. Apparently it didn't pass.

This is what they tried to add to the Ohio Revised Code

Sec. 4513.051.
Notwithstanding sections 4513.05 and 4513.06 of the Revised Code, a street rod or a custom vehicle may display a blue dot tail light in lieu of the red lights or reflectors otherwise required by those sections.

As used in this section, "blue dot tail light" means a red lamp installed in the rear of a motor vehicle containing a blue or purple insert that is not more than one inch in diameter.

Sort of vague, almost anything could be a "custom" vehicle.

Edited by ReconRat

Like most laws, they either bury the straight truth in volumes of verbage, or when they do come out and say something, it almost always seems to be vague. It gives the LEO's lots of leeway, but also gives them fits because the lawyers eat this stuff up once in court. Problem is, working stiff's like me (and this is what they like) don't usually fight tickets like an equipment ticket because of the cost incurred.

Thanks again

• 3 months later...

I am running all red facing back-taillight, turns and brakes. No problems from an Leo's and I have been running all over Ohio in addition to other states. I just appreciate the extra visibility I now have from the rear