Helmet Brands, Who to avoid?

Wicked

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the fit and finish of my suomy except the pivot covers for the shield flew off while riding. this is not an isolated incident, there is a pretty good thread over on the wera forums. also the customer support from suomy usa is virtually non existent.

I like the Scorpion 700 comes in Hi-Vis.

That and it was comfortable when I tried it on. However I havn't purchased it yet.

Currently I have a cheap HJC. The pinlock shield I bought for it was one of the best investments I have made. Without the pinlock the shield steams any time I ride in cool weather. With the Pinlock shield it doesn't even steam when I was riding in a 40 degree rain.

Ofcourse if you are a fair weather rider its probably not as big a deal.

Craig

Didn't you just post an article that called SNELL CRAP? Now you are using it as a standard?

I disagree with the thing you posted as far as snell goes, and agree that the shoei and arai probably aren't safer than a scorpion..

But it seems like you kinda contradicted yourself.

I don't think a Snell certified Arai or Shoei is going to protect better than a Snell certified Scorpion or KBC. That said, my current lid is ECE.

The article also compares helmets at different price points. More money doesn't mean safer.

Stay far away from HJC.

I have an Icon Alliance as well, much higher quality than the HJC

I guess I'm a little late to this party, but HJC helmets are made in the same factory in South Korea as Icons. Other than a thicker, more plush liner, a different shaped shield, and nice graphics it's pretty much the same helmet. :dunno:

I've owned an Icon Mainframe and thought it was decent for those everyday trips. Personally I've gone to Shoei and never looked back. For me they just fit, are very aerodynamic, and ventilate well.

I don't have much experience since I am pretty new to the street bike world but my Icon saint seems to be good for me, a bit noisy at times and i pretty much have to ride with the shield open a little to keep it from fogging (no breath deflector yet) but I'm pretty happy with it. Like everyone else has said, try some on and just try to avoid the $40 DOT clearance helmets. good luck with your search!

breath deflector in my shoei made it fog up....took it out and it was fine :confused:

must depend what shape your head is or something and where your mouth/nose lies in relation to the front of helmet

HJC has the best anti fog thing I've ever seen. :bow:

Pinlock insert!!!

i bought a sparx at pony around xmas time and lvoe the way it fits and it was dirt cheap, if i was going to spend an absurd amount on a helmet (400+) i really like the looks of Akuma helmets

I have a X-Lite Checa, a Arai Haga, and a Suomy Bautista. The pro models go clearance when the rider gets a new design. Never paid more than $250 for a top caliber helmet.

Besides, as it's been said before, the chicks go crazy for a snazzy helmet.

HJC has the best anti fog thing I've ever seen. :bow:

Pinlock insert!!!

Most helmet makers offer Pinlock shields for their helmets. HJC just makes it standard on some helmets and offers the option for the rest.

And it definitely works, and works well.

Craig

Shoei, Shark or Arai. Thats all that I own or will let my family own.

RF-1000?

Does Arai have a similar shell shape? I've always been interested in picking up an Arai, but there aren't many places carrying them near me and usually not in my size. The Shoei RF 1000 fits my head the best out of any lid I've tried.

My Nolan has a small processor that scans for thoughts about fogging.

So as soon as I think it may fog up it activates the fogger function.

Technology is amazing!

I need to replace the shield anyway the new ones are coated I believe.

my 2 cents:

1. Shoei (I have a x-11)

2. Arai (I personally don't like how close the shield is to your face/eyes though, but are great helmets)

3. Suomy

Replace your helmet every 5 years from the manufacture date, at the end of the day, your head is whats important

RF-1000?

Does Arai have a similar shell shape? I've always been interested in picking up an Arai, but there aren't many places carrying them near me and usually not in my size. The Shoei RF 1000 fits my head the best out of any lid I've tried.

The Arai seems to have a smaller shell than the Shoei at least on my head. The last Arai I have smooshed my nose were as my Shoei barely touched it. My Shark is by far the best helmet I have ever owned.