Helmet Brands, Who to avoid?

Wicked

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy HJCs off eBay. Haters gon hate...

Fit is most important though, go someplace you can try stuff on and see what works for you. Shape varies between brands, and even models (at least in the case of Arai), and people have different shape heads.

I've been real happy with my Scorpions (700 & 1000).

Imo AfX is garbage. First helmet was a afx 30 and didn't even make it a season. GARBAGE! Noisy, bad construction- plastic vents fell right off.

Just because you spend more doesn't mean it protects better.

:popcorn:

to a certain extent it does. a shoei is going to protect you better than a vega. no question about it.

once you get to a certain level of helmet, the extra protection is lessened, but the high end helmets still have some different designs that may prove beneficial....extra materials, etc

on top of that, the higher end helmets are generally lighter, more aerodynamic, and quieter....all big factors if you plan to ride a lot

My HJC Patriot is the best helmet I've owned, and I've owned Shoei, suomy, bell, and arai.

never thought ide see a comment like this lol.... i went from an HJC to a shoei and i wouldnt even keep the HJC as a backup helmet after wearing the shoei....mine was the cheapest HJC i could get that was still snell rated though (needed one for my car), so maybe that played a factor in it

My scorpion is quieter than my arai. I make sure I get all my helmets on closeout or sale. Once you get to a certain level of helmet you really just pay for comfort and venting. You just have to decide what level of comfort you can deal with.

to a certain extent it does. a shoei is going to protect you better than a vega. no question about it.

once you get to a certain level of helmet, the extra protection is lessened, but the high end helmets still have some different designs that may prove beneficial....extra materials, etc

are you sure?

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

Does it really matter what you spend on a helmet? At least your wearing one when you ride I mean from Vega to Aria their are helmets to meet every budget out their. Yes helmets are important and everyone has their favorite brands from trial and error. I'm not one to spend over $300 on a new helmet. I have two Vega's and I like them comfortable simple no extra over the top frills to draw in new buyers. Gonna buy a new Vega here soon one with Bluetooth or whatever good deal the Pony has going on at the time.

My 1st helmet ever was a VEGA and it sucked. Was horrible at speed. After that I have purchased nothing but Shoei RF1000's and they are amazing helmets.

Edit: How ironic that the last few posts metion VEGA because I posted without reading the thread. I don't know about the safety, but my Shoei is great at speed, no vibration, not loud, and the wind doesn't phase it at all. It's a tough helmet.

Edited by NinjaNick

Does it really matter what you spend on a helmet? At least your wearing one when you ride I mean from Vega to Aria their are helmets to meet every budget out their. Yes helmets are important and everyone has their favorite brands from trial and error. I'm not one to spend over $300 on a new helmet. I have two Vega's and I like them comfortable simple no extra over the top frills to draw in new buyers. Gonna buy a new Vega here soon one with Bluetooth or whatever good deal the Pony has going on at the time.

I haven't heard much good about the Vega with the BT in it. The salesman at Iron Pony showed me how the visor didn't even seal very well! :eek: I ended up with a HJC IS-16 for about the same price. Before the HJC, I had a Zox which I thought was ok until I replaced it! My HJC isn't exactly the greatest out there, but considering my budget and the fit and features I was looking for, it was the best deal.

yes im sure.

i cracked a vega in a 3mph wreck on a 4 wheeler climbing a steep hill....pieces of shit

also (even according to your link) - the thicker the EPS liner, the better....

To minimize the G-forces on your soft, gushy brain as it stops, you want to slow your head down over as great a distance as possible. So the perfect helmet would be huge, with 6 inches or more of soft, fluffy EPS cradling your precious head like a mint on a pillow.

Shoei: "In accordance with its high level of quality, each SHOEI helmet that is offered for sale in Europe is given a shock-absorbing double inner shell with a special shaping. The combination of the various grades of expanded EPS provides an effective damping of shocks and impacts and at the same time for a low HIC value. The upper part of the helmet inner shell is generally softer than the outer edge. The relatively hard edge of the inner shell increases the damping effect in the event of a crash and provides a low HIC value. The technology has been patented and is regarded as the technical property of SHOEI."

Vega: "Vega features a revolutionary thin EPS liner system for smaller profile shell."

the Shoei link mentions shoei's specifically for sale in Europe - but the new Shoei's for sale here also meet ECE R22/05 standards

now im not saying that the more expensive you buy the safer it is, im sure there are plenty of decently prices helmets that will protect your melon, but to put vega and shoei on the same playing field is far from accurate...i would not trust my head to a vega

Edited by Steve Butters

I have no experience with the Vega brand. But I seriously doubt that Shoei or Arai are any safer than a Scoprion, KBC, Sparx or any number a good Snell or ECE helmets that can be had under $200. More expensive ones may have nicer liners or visor systems...and they better for $500.

I have no experience with the Vega brand. But I seriously doubt that Shoei or Arai are any safer than a Scoprion, KBC, Sparx or any number a good Snell or ECE helmets that can be had under $200. More expensive ones may have nicer liners or visor systems...and they better for $500.

Didn't you just post an article that called SNELL CRAP? Now you are using it as a standard?

I disagree with the thing you posted as far as snell goes, and agree that the shoei and arai probably aren't safer than a scorpion..

But it seems like you kinda contradicted yourself.

now im not saying that the more expensive you buy the safer it is, im sure there are plenty of decently prices helmets that will protect your melon, but to put vega and shoei on the same playing field is far from accurate...i would not trust my head to a vega

ok.

Over the winter I bought a new Bell helmet and like it very much, but it does whistle a bit with the vents open. I've used several brands for autocross over the years and Shoei and Arai were very good. As others have mentioned comfort and weight are two of the big factors for long term comfort while riding. My favorite helmet was and still is a Simpson helmet that was given to me as a gift. I'm not even sure they made motorcycle rated helmets, but I would put it up against just about anything made today as far as comfort, fit and protection.